Size 20 and need a coat. Please help!

(35 Posts)
YoungBritishPissArtist Thu 19-Sep-13 16:59:59

Sorry if this subject has been done already but I'm on a tight budget and don't want to go out and buy without advice.

I'm 34, DCless, live in London, try to dress fashionably. I'm size 20, 5'7, my height is more in my torso than legs, iyswim.

I want to stay away from anything thick or puffy, so should I get a thin waterproof coat and layer underneath to keep warm?

I tried on a Barbour style coat in Tesco, as recommended in 'Mumsnet Swears By' a while ago, I looked like a frumpy farm worker hmm

I don't have a coat at all at the moment, have been making do with all my thermal tops but can't put it off for much longer.

TIA

YoungBritishPissArtist Thu 19-Sep-13 19:18:25

I like that Next one! I want to buy in store rather than order so I'll hit Westfield tomorrow.

EldritchCleavage Fri 20-Sep-13 11:31:58

Nice try, tethers, but your link didn't work so I can't be tormented by the thought of missing out on whatever it was, heh heh heh.

do you have a sainsburys with clothing near you? they have ome fab jackets in at the moment. I got a navy lightweight parka, it has sleeves that can be folded up to expose the lining or left down. it isn't a warm coat ut its roomy enough for layers underneath. They also have more formal wool type coats and the quilted barbour ish ones.

next have some nice coats too, big padded asymmetrical zip one for £60.

I find the quilted barbour type make my boobs look really droopy, even when I know that I have a good uplifting bra on. I'm a 12/14 with G's.

The coats in sainsburys were quite generous too, as I went shopping with my sister who is usually a size 26 and the 24 in everything fitted with room.

Dh bought me a nice v flattering coat from M&S a few years ago. Belted style. looks lovely. i'm a 22 with H cup chest.

Allthingspretty Fri 20-Sep-13 15:49:18

Matks and Spencer
Evans
Rivet Island go up to an 18. I am not sure if it is in all styles but it might be worth kerping an eye out

TK Maxx if you are prepared to look

Allthingspretty Fri 20-Sep-13 15:50:39

Dorothy Perkins
Wallis

YoungBritishPissArtist Fri 20-Sep-13 19:07:25

Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't manage to get to the shops yesterday so will have a look this weekend.

Bigwuss Sat 21-Sep-13 14:36:42

Have a look at the regatta hema parker on Amazon, it looks like it would work with jeans and boots and in your price range www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B00912I95Q/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Allthingspretty Sat 21-Sep-13 16:59:21

QVC

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now