Nooooo don't cut your hair....?

(56 Posts)

I have long hair. Wavy when left natural with a fringe that is semi grown ou.. nearly to my chin. Hair is amost bra strap length, coloured with some highlights on top.

I'm 45 and bored with it.

I have booked an appointment and am intending to get it chopped off...thinking a chin length bob or not much longer, partly as I would like to grow out much of the dye and see what I have (grey partly I think!0

But when I mentioned it in the staff room today I got a chorus of NOOOO don't cut your hair! I don't THINK I'll regret it. I've had short hair, long hair inbetween hair before.

Yes it's easy for school (my job) to tie it back, but it's also easy to just scrape it back and never make an effort with it. When it was shorter I did bother more!

I was feeling confident about cutting it but now everyone's reactions have made me feel unsure sad
WWYD?

My hair from the back...

polyhymnia Fri 20-Sep-13 09:54:33

Definitely get it cut. Go to the best hairdresser you can so it's a good shape . Shorter hair doesn't have to be boring. And get it coloured too by best colourist you can find.
I know lots of people love it and it can be versatile but I'm not personally a great fan of long hair at any age, unless it is really well cut and doesn't just sit there .

ginnybag Fri 20-Sep-13 09:53:45

I have hair like yours, only mines down nearly to my knees!!!

If you want to cut it, cut it - but, for God's sake, make sure the hair dresser knows what they are doing with hair like ours. Somebody 'just cutting' it will cause you nightmares for months!

I cut mine short, once - and I was Hermione Granger, even with the straigteners and the blow drying and the product. My hair needs weight to stop it being a frizzy, sticky-out mess - or it needs a spectacularly expert cut.

Where's the thickness in your hair? Mine is all from the back of the head, just above my neck.... it does not a good, short style make....

I don't really get posts saying "I did it and hated it, don't do it". OP is a different person, with different hair, a different face and a different hairdresser hmm

She might like it, she might not, but a person's hair is their own and I'd have thought it obvious that your (general) experience has no bearing on hers. I've had short hair that I've loved and short hair that I've hated. But I've never regretted having it cut well maybe once, it's exciting and freeing. I think if a bunch of colleagues told me not to cut my hair it would make me determined to do it!

SundaySimmons Fri 20-Sep-13 07:55:33

I agree with hungry george, don't do it!

Whilst you are young, make the most of having long flowing locks.

HungryGeorge Fri 20-Sep-13 07:39:10

My hair was very like yours OP and I got it cut so it sits on my shoulders a few months ago.. regretted it ever since.

Don't do it.

SavoyCabbage Fri 20-Sep-13 07:31:54

Definitely get it cut I say. I had long hair and now I have short hair and I look much younger and far more 'put together'.

Chipstick10 Fri 20-Sep-13 07:26:51

I would get it cut. It could look much more edgy and you will be amazed at how great it can make you feel.

kiwik Fri 20-Sep-13 03:31:51

Mine is very similar - although I'm blonde, not dark. Short does not work with my hair, as the shorter it gets the more wavy and unmanageable it becomes. The length pulls out some of the curl and makes it easier to handle.
I try and wear mine differently each day for variety, so that's seven different styles a week, although at weekends I often opt for the scrape it back into a ponytail solution.
I never wear it down at work, and often do a Gibson roll, or some sort of variation on a plait or pleat.
I only tend to wear it down when going out, and have the time to make the waves look sleek and controlled, rather than the riotous mess they often are.

I knew it would! smile

SwedishEdith Thu 19-Sep-13 22:54:40

Agree that there's a 2-week window when a bob looks good. And the growing out stage can look really frumpy. I'd keep it longish

I cut mine short a few years ago and found that when the cut was EXACTLY right it made me look younger, but as soon as it grew out even slightly, or if I went slightly too short in the fringe for example it was really ageing. So basically in a 6 week cycle between cuts it looked fantastic for about two weeks in the middle, the rest of the time it was not good at all.

Mine is very similar to yours OP, not quite as long, and darker and I do wonder about getting it cut shorter as it spends most of its time tied up now (I'm mid 40s. so this might be the last time for it to be long). But having spent the last 4 years going through masses of variations on shorter as I grew it out, I really do like it better long, it is so easy to put up in lots of different ways and I love being able to have it in a big cascade down my back. So I'd say keep it, it looks fabulous in your pic.

Ooh, we need pics Gobblers!

Cutting mine short made me look younger too, it made my eyes look bigger and my cheekbones look more defined. I can't see myself ever going back to longer hair.

GobblersKnob Thu 19-Sep-13 21:47:34

Well I did it grin

Went from from shoulder length to pretty much this a couple of hours ago.

It looks fab if I say so mysef, so glad I bit the bullet, has taken years off me.

Wow Gemmateller that hair is fab. I suspect mine would be like that in a few more inches (and allowed to be curly as it likes) If I could go instantly silver overnight I'd love that. Sadly mine is just developing the odd grey streak .

I THINK I am going to see about the colour first. I hate the highlights I have...they are wrong for my colour and look more like grey. If the hairsresser can tone them down to a nice even non offensive brown to match the under layers I shall keep the length for a little longer.

Mostly prompted by my eldest son and eldest daughter going 'NOOOOOOOOOO' as well grin

GemmaTeller Thu 19-Sep-13 21:19:01

OK, here goes......

I'm 54 and mine is a darker version of this

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/166070304980792498/

I love it and my DH loves it more, I'm just not a short haired person.

Snatchoo Thu 19-Sep-13 16:55:01

BTW Jemima love your cut!

It is only hair, it'll grow back if you hate it.

Snatchoo Thu 19-Sep-13 16:50:39

I've got my hair cut like this and I love it. So much easier to look after.

Mine's longer now, I need it cut. Mine wasn't as long a yours, probably bra strap length maybe, but I love it now. It's just more interesting than 'long layers all over'.

bigTillyMint Thu 19-Sep-13 13:53:26

I got this a lot before finally getting mine cut from waist length to shoulder length. I was probably about 45. I have extremely thick hair which is wavier when long, and I was just wearing it tied up all the time.

I much prefer it now - I can have it loose or tied up. It is in a layered, shaped around the face with fringe shape.

I cut my hair from a longish bob into a pixie cut about 6 weeks ago. Pretty much everyone on here told me not to, that it would make my face look fat, that longer hair was more flattering. I got it done anyway and LOVE IT. When I posted pics (still on my profile) everyone agreed it looked much better. Sometimes it pays to be brave, and at the end of the day it is only hair and will grow back soon enough if you hate it.

squoosh Thu 19-Sep-13 12:57:38

I'd cut it.

I definitely wouldn't go for a bob, but something just past the shoulder would be nice. Also your waves will probably become wavier without all the excess hair weighing them down.

HaveAGoodDay Thu 19-Sep-13 12:37:10

What a big pussy (cat) you have....(sorry couldn't resist after peeping @ your profile pics).

I like long hair. I think once you have it long & you cut it you regret it, like myself. I had lovely long hair about six years ago, why I had it cut shorter I'll never know, but over the years I did & then trying to grow it again has been a real ball ache as I like to colour mine so the condition isn't always at its best. Besides I think shorter hair takes more faffing on with.

So if you haven't already I would just go for a trim, sorry not adventurous and or a colour maybe?!

ENormaSnob Thu 19-Sep-13 11:24:12

My hair is similar to yours but darker and a bit more curly.

I had a graduated bob a few years ago and loved it. It looked good straight and curly.

Currently debating on doing it again as its just up all the time atm.

Thinking of having a fringe and cut to just below shoulders for winter, then shorter in spring if i still want to.

IceCreamForCrow Thu 19-Sep-13 09:29:48

Have it cut/coloured but don't go too short all at once.

I'm 40's and it's taken 2 years to grow out v short cropped hair to chin length bob. Most of that time I nearly gave in because my hair was just awful and all over the placehmm Yes hair grows again it's true, but it can be an agonisingly slow process. Don't do anything too drastic at first would be my advice.

MrsOakenshield Thu 19-Sep-13 09:27:13

kaumana - I have much thicker, curlier hair than the OP, all it takes is decent shampoo and conditioner and a good curly hair creme (I'm using Trevor Sorbie beautiful curls), can leave it to dry by itself most of the time. I wash it every 3 days, in between I just wet it in the shower and the style usually bounces back.

MrsOakenshield Thu 19-Sep-13 09:25:02

I had all my hair whopped off when I was mid-30s, I realised that I was wearing it up all the time and as it was just starting to go a bit grey I decided short was better all round (not judging but I think a lot of the time it's hard to get away with long greying/grey hair - I didn't want to dye it). Never regretted it, and had many comments on how much it suited me and made me look younger.

Go for it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now