Nooooo don't cut your hair....?

(56 Posts)

I have long hair. Wavy when left natural with a fringe that is semi grown ou.. nearly to my chin. Hair is amost bra strap length, coloured with some highlights on top.

I'm 45 and bored with it.

I have booked an appointment and am intending to get it chopped off...thinking a chin length bob or not much longer, partly as I would like to grow out much of the dye and see what I have (grey partly I think!0

But when I mentioned it in the staff room today I got a chorus of NOOOO don't cut your hair! I don't THINK I'll regret it. I've had short hair, long hair inbetween hair before.

Yes it's easy for school (my job) to tie it back, but it's also easy to just scrape it back and never make an effort with it. When it was shorter I did bother more!

I was feeling confident about cutting it but now everyone's reactions have made me feel unsure sad
WWYD?

My hair from the back...

SavoyCabbage Fri 20-Sep-13 07:31:54

Definitely get it cut I say. I had long hair and now I have short hair and I look much younger and far more 'put together'.

HungryGeorge Fri 20-Sep-13 07:39:10

My hair was very like yours OP and I got it cut so it sits on my shoulders a few months ago.. regretted it ever since.

Don't do it.

SundaySimmons Fri 20-Sep-13 07:55:33

I agree with hungry george, don't do it!

Whilst you are young, make the most of having long flowing locks.

I don't really get posts saying "I did it and hated it, don't do it". OP is a different person, with different hair, a different face and a different hairdresser hmm

She might like it, she might not, but a person's hair is their own and I'd have thought it obvious that your (general) experience has no bearing on hers. I've had short hair that I've loved and short hair that I've hated. But I've never regretted having it cut well maybe once, it's exciting and freeing. I think if a bunch of colleagues told me not to cut my hair it would make me determined to do it!

ginnybag Fri 20-Sep-13 09:53:45

I have hair like yours, only mines down nearly to my knees!!!

If you want to cut it, cut it - but, for God's sake, make sure the hair dresser knows what they are doing with hair like ours. Somebody 'just cutting' it will cause you nightmares for months!

I cut mine short, once - and I was Hermione Granger, even with the straigteners and the blow drying and the product. My hair needs weight to stop it being a frizzy, sticky-out mess - or it needs a spectacularly expert cut.

Where's the thickness in your hair? Mine is all from the back of the head, just above my neck.... it does not a good, short style make....

polyhymnia Fri 20-Sep-13 09:54:33

Definitely get it cut. Go to the best hairdresser you can so it's a good shape . Shorter hair doesn't have to be boring. And get it coloured too by best colourist you can find.
I know lots of people love it and it can be versatile but I'm not personally a great fan of long hair at any age, unless it is really well cut and doesn't just sit there .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now