If you are 5'9" size 8-10....

(36 Posts)

Where do you get your jeans and what coat are you wearing this year! I have AN HOUR to shop next Friday, I usually wear Topshop Baxter jeans but find they gape at the back.

Haven't had a winter coat for two years

Oh, and I'm 30

Skinheadmermaid Mon 16-Sep-13 11:07:04

Most of my jeans are from dorothy perkins as the leg length is long enough. Some are from primark.
I'm probably not the best person to ask as i find it hard to get most jeans over my sportsman calves.
Last year i wore a camo print coat from topshop tall section, if i buy a new one this year it will probably be an army surplus parka. I find it very difficult to get sleeves long enough and always have to buy mens hoodies etc.

plannedshock Mon 16-Sep-13 11:09:22

I get my winter coat from tkmaxx I also get jeans from there too, usually lee or levis

Beachbum48 Mon 16-Sep-13 11:15:07

I used to get Topshop baxters too. They also gape at my waist sad I have had Gap always skinny recently in size 8 (26) and they fit well. I have another pair of Gap jeans which are good too but I compared the same pair to another identical pair in store when purchasing and found up to an inch difference in the hems at the bottom so they are fairly inconsistently cut which doesn't help!

VioletGoesVintage Mon 16-Sep-13 11:15:34

Next online (the stores don't stock XL or Tall sizes), and a few premium pairs: 7FAM, J Brand Lovestory and MiH Marrakesh. The latter variously came from eBay, Donna Ida and, I think, Selfridges. Wait for the sales for premium denim though.

Coats, uh, I have lots.... My Merrills (a Wakefield non-insulated and an Ellenwood insulated) get most wear but I also have others from Jigsaw, Boden, Whistles, Lands End, M&S. If I find one that fits well I tend to keep it for yolks. Oh, I also have a very nice navy trench from Next - again, got it online.

WheresItTo Mon 16-Sep-13 11:20:29

I'm a size 8 and 5' 10" an the only place I could get a coat that actually fit me last year was from the Abercrombie and Fitch website. I would never usually look on there as I'm not really a 'hoody and jeans' kind of person, but I got a lovely coat, plenty of room across the shoulders and the sleeves are the perfect length. I also have a down-filled jacket from the trespass store which is a perfect fit, and a ski-style jacket from TKMaxx. I am yet to find a lovely woollen coat that fits.

I must admit that I am struggling to find decent jeans this year. I normally get jeans from DPs but the cut seems strange this year. I also have some 34" long skinnies from New Look, but they appear to have stopped doing them this year. I find that Next jeans go baggy, so even though they are a great fit at first, they drive me mad!

Salbertina Mon 16-Sep-13 11:22:10

Gap jeans. Coat? Nightmare- LK Bennett can come up long

ZaraW Mon 16-Sep-13 11:22:46

I have a few coats but my favourite one is by Izzy Lane have had it for about 3 years now and still going strong.

DukeSilver Mon 16-Sep-13 11:28:41

Topshop skinny jeans but I wear them turned up. For some reason I hate jeans that go to the bottom of my leg.

Topshop coat as well from last year.

Ihatemytoes Mon 16-Sep-13 11:39:14

I have a merrell Wakefield that I got 2 years who. This year I have bought a coat from Next. Black biker coat £55, in the tall section. It's really really nice!

SofaCanary Mon 16-Sep-13 12:31:44

ASOS Ridleys - skinny, soft, high waisted, long leg length, don't go baggy...haven't so much as looked at another skinny jean since I found these.

WheresItTo Mon 16-Sep-13 13:24:10

SofaCanary, how do the ASOS jeans come up size-wise?

foxysocks Mon 16-Sep-13 13:32:12

my jeans are goldsigns (but these are ankle skimmers), j brand (very long) and mango (not a patch on the others but way cheaper). depending on budget I would go to donna ida or selfridges and get them to help you.

I don't need a coat this year as have a good collection from the last 10. wool coat (reiss), down filled (barbour), leopard fake fur (asos), parka (j crew). also a couple of leather jackets which can be cropped, layered up with scarves and knits, and i find v warm.

Tgsmum Mon 16-Sep-13 13:37:00

Gap or urban outfitters

Arrtttiiieee Mon 16-Sep-13 13:37:47

Cos and Reiss are great but pricey.

JohnnyUtah Mon 16-Sep-13 13:39:58

I wear Baxter too. My best fitting coat and jackets are from Jigsaw.

SofaCanary Mon 16-Sep-13 14:47:56

Blue - true to size
Grey - big
Black - big

They're a bit all over the shop size wise so order your usual and maybe a size smaller too.

JedwardScissorhands Mon 16-Sep-13 15:01:55

Zara for jeans, the skinny ones in size small. I also find top shop gape. Will be looking into the coat suggestions as that has beaten me too!

NaturalBaby Mon 16-Sep-13 15:06:37

I'm a bit taller but also have too big calves so no skinny jeans for me. In desperation I have a couple of pairs from Next while I work out what else will fit.

Thanks all. I need 34" (I have 33" inseam but hate ankle skimmers), am on a budget but I normally live in LA so end up not wearing them as much as I used to in the UK so they should last longer

I've steered clear of GAP for a few years but maybe it's time to check them out again

What style coats do you tend to wear?

angeltulips Tue 17-Sep-13 08:08:30

5'10" (most of which is leg) size 6-8 reporting for duty.

Jeans - current Elliot fit me best, also like AGs. Rag n bone are long enough but lose their shape really easily.

Coats - Cos (34, only just fits me as am broad of shoulder), urban outfitters sometimes have nice things, Vince (if you want to splurge - but buy in States as much cheaper)

angeltulips Tue 17-Sep-13 08:10:52

Oh sorry just saw you were on a budget - apparently Zara have some nice styles this year wouldn't know first hand as nothing in Zara ever fits me but others have recommended

MacAndCheese Thu 19-Sep-13 17:22:44

If you're still after jeans suggestions, I'd suggest the Topshop leigh jeans. I used to have the same problem with baxters, and I believe that the Leigh's are available in longer lengths smile

Ugh, tried a gorgeous military coat in H&M yesterday, everything was great except too short sleeves. Boo

Twiddlebum Fri 20-Sep-13 04:21:29

After years of searching and spending loads on jeans thinking that the more I spent the better they would fit......
Primark!!! All other jeans tend to gape at the waist on me but primary jeans fit like a glove

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now