Going 'Cruelty-Free'. Anyone care to join me?

(56 Posts)
ILoveMakeUp Sat 14-Sep-13 10:13:02

I love my expensive make-up and skincare, but lately I have been feeling increasingly uneasy about animal testing. A brief look on the Peta website has convinced me that I don't want animals to suffer for my vanity.

So, I have decided to go Cruelty-Free. I am using up the products that I already have, but I will only replace them with cruelty-free products. I am trying to get a list together of companies whose products I like that don't test on animals and have come up with the following so far:

Make-up: Stila
Hair: Aveda
Skincare: ??? (especially looking for something 'high end').

So glad I found this thread! I'm on a mission to replace the few products I use, and so far have started using Barefaced Beauty's mineral foundation with good results. I really hope they are as cruelty free as they claim or it's back to the drawing board.
https://www.barefacedbeauty.co.uk/

"...Tried beauty without cruelty but found the products awful..."
Out of interest Milly what didn't you like about them? I'm thinking of trying their products.

Barbabelle Mon 14-Oct-13 10:41:55

Jane Iredale makeup is excellent (I love the foundations and bb creams). It's not tested on animals and the company contributes to some worthwhile charities.

Trilogy is another good company - does some lovely facial oils and I swear by the shampoo. Lavera and Weleda are also fabulous and well worth a look.

ILoveMakeUp Mon 14-Oct-13 04:41:17

I am happy to report that one of my fave brands, L'Occtiane, do not test on animals and never have done. Here is their position on animal testing and what they are doing to persuade China to abandon their current rules. It makes very interesting reading.

Well done L'Occitane!

Vibbe Mon 16-Sep-13 11:55:39
breakingbadaddict Mon 16-Sep-13 11:28:03

www.gocrueltyfree.org/search?product-type=cosmetics&country=231 Not sure if its already been mentioned, but this is like my bible of where to go for products.

Hubb Mon 16-Sep-13 11:21:56

Im so frustrated that companies that used to be legit are being bought by loreal etc, wish they could keep their hands off. I love urban decay and even though they don't test their parent company does..grr makes it really hard to keep up to date with things, feel like I need to constantly check what I'm buying.

My go to stuff is co op, m and s and astonish for cleaning products. And for make up have started using the B range from superdrug, and superdrug own brand (they have loads of ranges) for skin care and hair care.

But then I heard that Superdrug support some cancer charity which carry out animal testing....which opens a whole new debate. Why is it so hard??

Even if stuff was tested in the past, which is horrendous, it's better than supporting companies that STILL do it/only stopped because legislation forced them to.

ZaraW Mon 16-Sep-13 05:26:56

Green People have been operating for 16 years without testing their products/ingredients on animals I am happy with that. As ILoveMakeUp states there is nothing we can do about the past.

ILoveMakeUp Mon 16-Sep-13 03:01:53

The point is, that we cannot do anything about raw materials that were tested on animals in the past. All we can do is use products that are not tested on animals, historically or currently.

matilda101 Sun 15-Sep-13 17:08:43

Zara - special subject is correct ALL types of raw materials will have been tested on animals in the past.

This following statement just states that they haven't carried out or commissioned animal testing; it doesn't mean that animal testing hasn't been carried out by the ingredients manufacturer for other reasons.
"We have never carried out or commissioned animal testing of any raw material, cosmetic ingredient or finished product. All Green People products are tested on human volunteers"

ILoveMakeUp Sun 15-Sep-13 16:45:15

On Stila's website, they have a little earth symbol with 'Cruelty-free & Eco-friendly' here in the bottom right hand corner. I take this as meaning they don't test on animals?

BTW, am so pleased REN are cruelty-free, I love their products.

ZaraW Sun 15-Sep-13 12:36:25

specialsubject what are your sources?

specialsubject Sun 15-Sep-13 12:14:42

all make up ingredients will have been tested on animals at some point, even if it isn't done now. There's no need for new research or products in makeup or 'skincare' - the whole 'industry' is massively wasteful although it does of course provide jobs.

sorry - no such thing as 'no animal testing' for anything. You need to decide which is more important, your slap or your principles.

Pannacotta Sun 15-Sep-13 10:35:45

Oh and Tara Smith is a good brand for decent hair care, you can get them at Cult Beauty online or in M&S.

Pannacotta Sun 15-Sep-13 10:31:48

Thanks Zara, but I don't rate the Peta guide, they endorse the Body Shop for example.
I think the UK lists are more trustworthy and seem to have more stringent criteria.

BookFairy Sun 15-Sep-13 09:07:44

I buy online from Lucy Rose Organic Beauty: A'kin and John Masters hair products and Lavera skin care. Planet Organic is also a good website/shop to check out.

ZaraW Sun 15-Sep-13 09:00:29

maltilda I've read it again and don't have an issue with it. Unless of course you can prove otherwise.

it states "We have never carried out or commissioned animal testing of any raw material, cosmetic ingredient or finished product. All Green People products are tested on human volunteers"

Pannacotta Stila is listed under the PETA website that states they do not test on animals.

http://www.peta.org/living/beauty-and-personal-care/companies/568.aspx

practicality Sun 15-Sep-13 08:53:19

Re BArry M -not all their products are vegan. Some of the lipsticks are not. If you check their website it tells you which are.

Pannacotta Sun 15-Sep-13 08:43:37

Re Stila I cant find any info which supports them being cruelty free, they aren't approved by Naturewatch or BUAV, so I remain unconvinced, which is a shame.
I agree Dr Hauchka is a good brand for skin care.

matilda101 Sun 15-Sep-13 08:17:50

Cortical? I mean cosmetic.

matilda101 Sun 15-Sep-13 08:17:23

Zara - re read your statement - it doesn't say they don't use ingredients that have been tested on animals for reasons other than cortical purposes.

For example, silica and zeolites are used in many cosmetics and they have been tested on animals but not got cosmetic purposes. The actual product may not have been tested on animals but the raw materials they use will most certainly have been tested on animals at some point.

ZaraW Sun 15-Sep-13 07:29:00

oh and the nice thing about Green People 10% of the profit goes to charity.

SundaySimmons Sun 15-Sep-13 07:16:33

Info on the company

www.goodthingsbeauty.com/our_story.php

Alice Hart-Davis is behind it.

SundaySimmons Sun 15-Sep-13 07:14:07

Here is a link to the range sold in Sainsburys

www.sainsburys.co.uk/groceries/index.jsp

SundaySimmons Sun 15-Sep-13 07:11:49
CatsWearingTutus Sun 15-Sep-13 06:47:24

Dr Haushka is great high end skincare stuff.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now