Going 'Cruelty-Free'. Anyone care to join me?

(56 Posts)
ILoveMakeUp Sat 14-Sep-13 10:13:02

I love my expensive make-up and skincare, but lately I have been feeling increasingly uneasy about animal testing. A brief look on the Peta website has convinced me that I don't want animals to suffer for my vanity.

So, I have decided to go Cruelty-Free. I am using up the products that I already have, but I will only replace them with cruelty-free products. I am trying to get a list together of companies whose products I like that don't test on animals and have come up with the following so far:

Make-up: Stila
Hair: Aveda
Skincare: ??? (especially looking for something 'high end').

Hubb Mon 16-Sep-13 11:21:56

Im so frustrated that companies that used to be legit are being bought by loreal etc, wish they could keep their hands off. I love urban decay and even though they don't test their parent company does..grr makes it really hard to keep up to date with things, feel like I need to constantly check what I'm buying.

My go to stuff is co op, m and s and astonish for cleaning products. And for make up have started using the B range from superdrug, and superdrug own brand (they have loads of ranges) for skin care and hair care.

But then I heard that Superdrug support some cancer charity which carry out animal testing....which opens a whole new debate. Why is it so hard??

Even if stuff was tested in the past, which is horrendous, it's better than supporting companies that STILL do it/only stopped because legislation forced them to.

breakingbadaddict Mon 16-Sep-13 11:28:03

www.gocrueltyfree.org/search?product-type=cosmetics&country=231 Not sure if its already been mentioned, but this is like my bible of where to go for products.

Vibbe Mon 16-Sep-13 11:55:39
ILoveMakeUp Mon 14-Oct-13 04:41:17

I am happy to report that one of my fave brands, L'Occtiane, do not test on animals and never have done. Here is their position on animal testing and what they are doing to persuade China to abandon their current rules. It makes very interesting reading.

Well done L'Occitane!

Barbabelle Mon 14-Oct-13 10:41:55

Jane Iredale makeup is excellent (I love the foundations and bb creams). It's not tested on animals and the company contributes to some worthwhile charities.

Trilogy is another good company - does some lovely facial oils and I swear by the shampoo. Lavera and Weleda are also fabulous and well worth a look.

So glad I found this thread! I'm on a mission to replace the few products I use, and so far have started using Barefaced Beauty's mineral foundation with good results. I really hope they are as cruelty free as they claim or it's back to the drawing board.
https://www.barefacedbeauty.co.uk/

"...Tried beauty without cruelty but found the products awful..."
Out of interest Milly what didn't you like about them? I'm thinking of trying their products.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now