If you were in your 40s and going out 'clubbing' what would you wear?

(208 Posts)

I usually wear skinnies and high heels but am getting bored of it. I have decent legs but hate my norks.

If skinnies, are there any nice tops around? If not skinnies, what?

Screwfox Sun 15-Sep-13 12:42:52

Oh I am though. tickles remus

Pompbear Sun 15-Sep-13 12:54:43

Leather pencil skirt, show off your legs? Work-ish but with a bit if edginess? Ankle boots... Top??

Could be hot in a club though?!

Oh god, you've made me even more paranoid now.

The 'clubbing' usually means various bars and then ending somewhere with dancing, rather than Ibiza-esque or a club full of 18 year olds. I love dancing and spend enough time in the house, so all you people saying you'd rather be at home, I do that too - but I like going out dancing as well!

There's usually a mix of us, from super-skinny early twenties up to aged 50-ish and I am on the older side of middle age-wise, and the smaller size of middle, size wise,

If I wear skinnies and heels, I am never, ever orange and my shoes are not stripper-esque, just either black heels or black shoe-boots.

A black mini-ish dress would be the obvious alternative to skinnies, but I pretty much always wear black.

The shiny t-shirt linked to below is the sort of thing I quite like with skinnies on others, but would draw too much attention to my norks. I need v plain on top and then need to draw attention to my legs I think - but how to do that without looking slapper-ish?

Mummyoftheyear Sun 15-Sep-13 13:48:02

Whatever you love and that looks fab on you n makes you feel most confident. 40s are the new 30s

Mummy - I never feel confident!

Screwfox Sun 15-Sep-13 14:37:47

i was just thinking about this and was thinking a bodycon dress and a leather jacket on top
of course quite hot though...
You want a plain top? loose or close fitting?
i couldnt imagine a leather skirt in a hot bar/pub

#chafing

Screwfox Sun 15-Sep-13 14:38:04

what about a dark red stretch dress? maroon

Top can be loose or fitted, so long as it doesn't cling.

Maroon dress might work - any links? Would need sucker-in undies though!

Screwfox Sun 15-Sep-13 14:49:22

[[http://www.asos.com/French-Connection/French-Connection-Comet-Stretch-Dress-with-Lace-Panel-to-Back/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=3248956&SearchQuery=maroon%20dress%20stretch&sh=0&pge=0&pgesize=36&sort=-1&clr=Black Fc dress]

Screwfox Sun 15-Sep-13 14:49:34
Screwfox Sun 15-Sep-13 14:50:09

you wouldnt need sucking in pants fgs

just buy the right dress

RIGHT REMUS i am alone at the kitchen table, we are SORTING THIS

Screwfox Sun 15-Sep-13 14:52:03
Screwfox Sun 15-Sep-13 14:53:34
Screwfox Sun 15-Sep-13 14:54:16
Screwfox Sun 15-Sep-13 14:56:41

what about a tube skirt
loose floaty vest thing and jackay?

I was just looking at and liking the 'Too Formal' one - what a coincidence! I wondered if the sheerness would = slapper though?

Don't like the weather girl one at all.

Love the 'tunic' and it would suit me - but it's about £100 too expensive. smile

Tube skirt, floaty vest and jacket = v v me - but I wear it to work.

Screwfox Sun 15-Sep-13 15:05:18

GET OVER THE WORK THING
grin

is this top a bit too Jayne Mcdonald?
www.mintvelvet.co.uk/black-double-layer-studded-top/new-in/mint-v/fcp-product/3234

Don't know who JM is. Top is nice, but tis the same old same old thing I wear with skinnies all the time. I want to get my legs out! smile

Screwfox Sun 15-Sep-13 15:12:30

Nope, still no idea who she is. I think her hair is bigger than my entire body!

Fallenangle Sun 15-Sep-13 15:16:02

I'm confused Remus, you rejected the shorts and tights idea on account of your thighs. How about wearing shorts or a short dress with black lace tights? They disguise the line of the slightly larger thigh.

MissDD1971 Sun 15-Sep-13 15:16:42

Last time I was out clubbing (think loud City bar after work) I wore a black and gold trim Zara batwing light knit top, pencil skirt and dark red suede boots with massive heel.

However after one Sambuca shot too many and the heels I tripped over a glass table, badly cut my hand but also broke two ribs. YOW.

Now, I'd wear black skinnies (H&M) with either a rock chick top (nice Top Shop bright pink roses top) or a floaty Top Shop vest top with chains at side. Also dresses are nice. Been clubbing in a lurex knit with black sequins sort of body con Top Shop dress and also other dresses. Depends where you go. An ex friend of mine varied what she wore from black or red shift dress from ASOS, to vest top with jeans and floral kimono. Heels are the way to go. But watch the shots!

PavlovtheCat Sun 15-Sep-13 15:17:37

60's style shift dress with wedges.

MissDD1971 Sun 15-Sep-13 15:18:48

oh also I have a nice black zipped playsuit (Top Shop again) looks nice with glossy tights, and i had some glittery office shoe/boot things.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now