If you were in your 40s and going out 'clubbing' what would you wear?

(208 Posts)

I usually wear skinnies and high heels but am getting bored of it. I have decent legs but hate my norks.

If skinnies, are there any nice tops around? If not skinnies, what?

smile Might try it on, but it would be good to have something other than skinnies or a black dress.

AphraBehn Fri 13-Sep-13 22:04:08

I would one of those silky kimono type jackets with a camisole or vest top and cigarette trousers (because I don't wear skinnys).

AphraBehn Fri 13-Sep-13 22:08:30

How about that stripey skirt you linked to with a slouchy black silk t shirt and shoe boots?

daimbardiva Sat 14-Sep-13 10:06:11

Shorts and tights and heels?

Cigarette trousers = work clothes.

Stripey skirt and silk t-shirt = work.

Love shorts and tights, but not sure about on 40-something year old thighs.

Screwfox Sun 15-Sep-13 05:31:51

Well I wouldn't go bit of I had to it would be jeans. Think you're unnecessarily focused on what's work wear tbh

Roshbegosh Sun 15-Sep-13 05:56:20

Would want a burkha personally. No law against clubbing right into your 70's if that's what you want to do, but why??? The girls will say things like " aww, my mum has those and they look sweet" but hey if it's your thing knock yourself out.

Lavenderhoney Sun 15-Sep-13 06:46:42

Went for the first time in ages and wore a short shift dress in black lace with heels. Wish I'd kept my coat on, I just wanted to leave! So loud and when did people start punching the air whilst holding drinks?

Also I wasn't really comfortable until I had worked out my exit route in case of a firesmile so many people! see, too oldsmile

I used to love clubbing. And music festivals. I suppose I'd hate it now.

Screwfox Sun 15-Sep-13 07:02:17

I always hated them. There's a lot of pressure to like them. When I married I decided I wasn't pretending any more

CoteDAzur Sun 15-Sep-13 09:11:23

Remus - I think you need to clarify what kind of "clubbing" you have in mind.

Screwfox Sun 15-Sep-13 09:51:39

oh Cote! of COURSE!
Its her book club ;)

Screwfox Sun 15-Sep-13 09:51:48

..or Pony club

Pinupgirl Sun 15-Sep-13 10:36:05

No,no,no to skinnies and heels-its been done to death. I was in the big city last week and all the 40 something's women had on skinnies,floaty tops,stripper shoes and too much fake tan<shudders>

You sound like you have an amazing figure to me!-stop trying to hide the norks-you have to work with them-not against them!

I cant do links with I think a dress which shows a bit of your cleavage with very good shoes and bag would do you well.

Roshbegosh Sun 15-Sep-13 10:40:37

Maybe the twerking will be a struggle in jeans, if you hold on to the pole and just make sure the thong is covering the crucial bits you should be ok to join in still. Then no one will notice your boobs.

CoteDAzur Sun 15-Sep-13 10:51:26

Errm that's not what I meant.

Clubbing could mean thumping techno music in dark clubs with very casual clothing <thinks fondly back to Escape From Samsara nights at The Fridge> or it could mean something like Boujis. You would dress very differently for them.

Notfootball Sun 15-Sep-13 11:32:10

Early 40s here and went to a late bar with a dancefloor/DJ last night, I wore a pleather, above the knee pencil skirt and a loose-ish vest top with hemline studs and high heeled ankle boots plus a teal clutch. I looked good if I must say so myself! My usual attire is yours: skinnies, heels and nice top but I needed a change.

lifesgreatquestions Sun 15-Sep-13 11:43:42

I love that you still go so often that you need some new clothing ideas!

TaudrieTattoo Sun 15-Sep-13 11:44:32

My house.

happybubblebrain Sun 15-Sep-13 11:52:05

Last time I went clubbing in my late 30s (4 years ago) I wore a glitter dress and boots.

Wear something a bit comfy, especially on your feet.

Screwfox Sun 15-Sep-13 12:02:22

I was only kidding cote.

Screwfox Sun 15-Sep-13 12:02:53

I thought it was obvious

CoteDAzur Sun 15-Sep-13 12:20:14

Sorry screw, I just didn't want Remus to think I was making fun of her.

noddyholder Sun 15-Sep-13 12:26:09

God I think it's v difficult not to look muttony. I would prob wear dark tight skinnies turn ups ankle boots and a plain black t shirt No glittery swooshy tops they are loose women territory.

niceupthedance Sun 15-Sep-13 12:31:28

I still go out a lot and I'm 39.

I think low key is best with accessories.

Last time I went out I wore blue skinnies with red suede mid-heels, a thin grey t shirt with big hoop earrings and a chunky gold bracelet.

SparkyTGD Sun 15-Sep-13 12:33:18

I'd wear a silky or embellished top with skinnies & wedges, my legs are also my best feature. And some statement jewellery.

I like this, I like the slightly 'rock chick' style that some of the shops have in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now