Please please come here and remind me all the sensible reasons why I don't want to colour my hair blonde

(55 Posts)
HoneyDragon Mon 09-Sep-13 20:55:20

I've got the urge. It always ends up looking shit doesn't it? The urge is still,here though.

I need intervention to save me from myself.

HoneyDragon Wed 11-Sep-13 09:49:25

Errol grin

ErrolTheDragon Wed 11-Sep-13 08:39:38

Leave it alone, Honey. It looks fine at the moment - the fringe will soon grow enough to get it straightened out or recut asymmetrically professionally (but it really doesn't look bad at all!). Your ombre isn't too extreme - it actually looks quite like the effect my DD has acquired totally naturally. From the look of your hair all you need to get fabulous natural blonde highlights is to spend every weekend and your summer holiday doing watersports, much better than pissing around with dyes.grin

Bayalage sounds like silage or haylage made from whole bales....

cardamomginger Wed 11-Sep-13 08:23:15

Yup - looks totally like it was meant to be! Am very impressed!

But don't go blonde!! Especially not going into winter.

racmun Wed 11-Sep-13 04:14:39

I love being blonde, My natural colour is mousey and I hate it.

I tried going slightly darker and just felt like my hair looked dull all the time..

Go for highlights and low lights and you get a good mix. I have bleach and tint on mine have it cut regularly and it's in good condition.
To deal with brasiness buy a product for that - I used the redken one every other week and no problems here.

I have my roots done every 6 weeks but it's my one extravagance and makes me feel good.

Butwilliseeyouagain Wed 11-Sep-13 03:25:38

I LOVE being blonde. Love it love it love it. When I have dark hair I look like a cloudy day. Tired, dull and OLD.

HoneyDragon Tue 10-Sep-13 23:17:39

Are you sure? I did point cut it properly but I keep getting a terrible scare when I walk past a mirror.

People might think I just cut my fringe pissed!

Shaddup!! That totally looks like you ment it!

Don't go messing with it, silly

cardamomginger Tue 10-Sep-13 23:09:31

You know what? I really like it!!! grin.

HoneyDragon Tue 10-Sep-13 23:07:34

I've put the stupid fringe on my profile. I am sans make up bar left over mascara stains sorry.

That should cheer you all up grin

HoneyDragon Tue 10-Sep-13 23:02:12

Well, you can panic a little. I could still fuck it up

HoneyDragon Tue 10-Sep-13 23:01:11

I've done it before. So no panic needed grin

Ombré is basically dip dying but done we so the colours blend. Which is how my hair is now.

Balayage is where you paint the colour on its more subtle than highlights making a more sun kissed affair.

How is balayage different from ombre confused?
All looks v complicated...

DeathByTray Tue 10-Sep-13 22:22:56

I have no idea what Balayage hair is.

I couldn't have a short fringe - too many frown lines that need covering.

Textured is good IMO - balayage sounds like some Russion soup confused

I wrote a long and v considered post re your hair/fringe conundrum and then MN would not let me post shock[shakes fist in the general direction of MNTowers].

So, in summary, re fringe: brazen it out. Wear it like you ment it. With mad make-up.
Yes, my hairdresser sorted my fringe, but it was ultra-short. Which is NOT a good look when you have a round face, frizzy hair and no hairstraighters on holiday with lots of time in a pool/lake.
I have never had blond hair, only stripey highlighted hair. DH seemed to like it, I am not so sure. Henna all the way now grin until I get bored of the mess or decide to give in to the Grey. That's it - you want henna grin

cardamomginger Tue 10-Sep-13 22:15:58

Ah. That fringe looks like a high risk thing to try to pull off. <gulps>

Balayage. Nice! Um... please have a very careful think before deciding to do it yourself???

HoneyDragon Tue 10-Sep-13 16:54:47

I've had a look at trends for next year, and it appears that a nice textured look could be the way to go so am considering a spot of balayage, to counter the dip dye and make it look less odd when up.

What do we think of that?

HoneyDragon Tue 10-Sep-13 10:42:21

Well I saw pictures like

This

And

This

And thought

Now THAT would be cool.

Then I got the scissors.

Ds likes it. And no one's actively pointed at me in the street and laughed yet

cardamomginger Tue 10-Sep-13 09:18:39

I'm still worried about what exactly happened with the scissors last night!

Eliza22 Tue 10-Sep-13 09:03:31

I'm mouse....with blonde high/low lights. Whenever I try returning to the "real me" I start to feel dingy. But, I don't colour it myself because I can't. I concentrate on shine and condition and don't have hair like straw! I am sleek and shiny and have spent my adult life "blonde".

If you're doing it yourself, keep it simple. And.... Oh yeah, that's it.....*put the scissors down!*

HoneyDragon Tue 10-Sep-13 08:24:29

I prefer highlights and low lights, but it's a pita to do yourself on long hair.

flipchart Tue 10-Sep-13 08:00:28

I didn't take offence OP but I'm sticking up for all us blondies!

I wouldn't be anything else by choice.

noisytoys Tue 10-Sep-13 07:58:26

I have been natural for a few years (after shaving my hair for charity because it got into such a state I couldn't even brush it).

Natural is better because I can run my fingers through it and it is swishy and has loads of different shades and is naturally blonde(ish) smile

ithaka Tue 10-Sep-13 07:51:54

When I tried blonde my DH said I looked like I was going to go on a package holiday to Spain (yes, he is a dreadful snob, but I saw instantly what he meant).

You will probably need to go lighter as you age, due to the grey issue, so I would dodge the Shagaluf look while you still can.

HoneyDragon Tue 10-Sep-13 07:47:26

Oi, I said ends up looking shit, referring to the maintenance.

It's too early in the morning to take offense when there wasn't any AIBU is that way -->
grin

flipchart Tue 10-Sep-13 07:41:40

Ok! There's nothing wrong with being / going blond.
For one I bloody love it.

Mines not brassy, I have high and low lights.
It doesn't always look shit ( thanks for that OP)
Not all puppies are blonde!
If you have a good balance of high and low lights re growth and roots aren't so bad
For me, when I tried to go darker it made me feel dull and looked a lot older.
Once I went back to being lighter I felt happier and looked like me again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now