Do I want a pair of Converse?

(37 Posts)
Imwoodword Mon 09-Sep-13 14:53:35

Are they any good? I have bought new knee high and ankle boots for the winter, both have slight heels so thinking I need something flat, and my feet get too cold for ballet pumps in the winter.

Are they are good for when its raining or will my feet get wet? Comfy? I'm imaging wearing them with skinnies rather than dresses or skirts.

Have my eye on a pair of Hi burgundy ones, trying to steer away from black for a change!

Bunbaker Mon 09-Sep-13 18:57:08

I have a pair of Converse lookalikes. They cost me £10 and do the job perfectly well. As we ended up having a warm summer I didn't wear them much so they are in very good condition. I will wear them more now, but as they have thin soles, as do Converse, they won't get worn when it is properly cold.

Eastpoint Mon 09-Sep-13 18:58:52

I have the Ugg version. Very comfortable with some sheepskin & hard wearing (though they should be at that price).

christinarossetti Mon 09-Sep-13 19:02:56

I love the way my Converse trainers look but the thin soles aren't that comfortable.

Wouldn't recommend them as a winter shoe at all.

cazakstan Mon 09-Sep-13 19:30:35

I'm almost 51 and have been wearing converse for more than 10 years...LOVE them...I probably have around 15 pairs at the moment. They can be a bit stiff at first...I always wear socks with mine. I do wear them in the winter on dry days...When they get more than a bit dirty I pop them in the washing machine.

cocolepew Mon 09-Sep-13 19:34:33

I wore a pair of Converse One Star all last winter, they are a bit more substanial. I have a beige suede pair of hi tops with the furry lining in them too. I can't tell you if they are warm or not because DD nicked them hmm She never complained of cold feet last winter though grin.

Imwoodword Mon 09-Sep-13 20:45:03

Thanks for all the responses.

A real mixed bag then! Have never heard of Supergas, shall have a Google. Can cope wearing them just on dry days. Prefer the idea of a high style just for a bit of extra wind protection IYSWIM?

Eastpoint haven't seem UGG type ones shall have a search for them too.

LOVE those Bitchy they look fab. Would you advise sizing up? Especially with insoles?

Fairylea Mon 09-Sep-13 20:48:42

I love converse but definitely not a winter shoe! The canvas ones also have little holes punched out in the inside of the foot... wind whistles round!

SELondonSwede Tue 10-Sep-13 09:21:09

I have tried converse so many times but just cant get on with them. For a casual shoe I wear Superga now, they fit my feet so much better. My ds has them too, love that we match;) silly I know - but it warms my heart.

BlueStones Tue 10-Sep-13 12:57:57

I don't find Converse to be very good quality; they don't last longer than supermarket-brand pumps in my experience. I think you pay for the cool factor, not the quality.

BikeRunSki Tue 10-Sep-13 13:57:57

I am very surprised at all the negative comments about converse shoes. I have big (8) wide feet and have been wearing then since I was 13, nearly 30 years ago! I have had at least one pair on the go ever since, and they have never been too tight or at all uncomfortable and I have never had quality issues. I buy men' s sizes, I wonder if that makes a difference ? I wear them with wool socks in the cold, but wouldn' t deliberaty wear them in the rain.

Notfootball Tue 10-Sep-13 17:07:18

I stick my Converse in the washing machine too. Maybe I have narrow feet as I find them very comfortable. I never pay full price, bought some super cheap ones in Hong Kong and now only buy them when I see them in TK Maxx at £25 for hi tops. Always have about 3 pairs on the go.

Imwoodword Tue 10-Sep-13 20:49:15

Found a discount code for Office so have ordered a pair of Hi tops with shearling, will see how I get on with them.

Thanks all for your input! thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now