Winter is coming

(18 Posts)
Skinheadmermaid Mon 09-Sep-13 10:21:17

So autumn is now here and I am frankly terrified of another long cold winter.
Long story short I used to be very fat and last winter was my first without my customary layer of blubber- I wasn't aware i could be so cold!
What's the very warmest coat i can buy? I was thinking about an army surplus military parker?
Also what sort of layers can i wear without looking like the michelin man?
i spent last winter in 2 thermal vests, t shirt, jumper, hoodie and coat on my top half and leggings, jeans and three pairs of socks on my bottom half-it was awful!
Please can anyone help? sad

flatmum Mon 09-Sep-13 10:25:11

I really feel the cold and use the Uniqlo thermal tops and leggings - they make a real difference - my hands and feet are always freezing though.

bunnymother Mon 09-Sep-13 10:28:58

I just ordered the Zara £109 down filled puffer. Which I will wear w cashmere/wool blend socks, Uniqlo thermals and cashmere gloves, and cashmere cardis and wool and cashmere scarves. I really feel the cold.

Skinheadmermaid Mon 09-Sep-13 10:35:55

Thank you for the quick replies. Would these be the heat tech vests at Uniqlo?

flatmum Mon 09-Sep-13 11:13:28

that's the ones, I find them really good and not too bulky for layering up

CakeInMyFace Mon 09-Sep-13 13:54:58

I've just ordered this from Fat Face although it hasn't arrived yet. I feel the cold too and am desperate to get a warmer jacket this year along with proper warm merino socks etc too. Not sure what it will be like as have no experience with Fat Face coats but fingers crossed!

pensandpaperclips Mon 09-Sep-13 13:58:49

It wasn't THAT cold confused have you been checked for circulatory problems?

AndTwoBits Mon 09-Sep-13 14:34:11

I feel the cold terribly too. The big puffa coats in Zara are great for the depths of winter with thermal vest and warm jumper underneath. And thick socks. This year Im going to splash out on a cashmere jumper and scarf.

BikeRunSki Mon 09-Sep-13 14:41:23

You want a down coat (Land's End, North Face, Alpkit), merino wool vest and long johns (Icebreaker, Howies) and wool socks (Smartwool, M&S), need to.have some polyester or a rylic in too or they wear out v quickly. The mountain sports brands will be better quality and warmer than the fashion brands.

Hazelbrowneyes Mon 09-Sep-13 14:44:01

North Face. I have this one and it's amazingly warm.

I second what BikeRunSki said. I favour layers of wool and cashmere from head to toe in winter.

I did see the most toasty-looking dressing gown THING ever whilst browsing Lands End blush yesterday. It was basically a flannel-lined duvet in gown form. Glamorous it was not. But blimey, part of me was tempted grin

Whitecat Mon 09-Sep-13 17:03:19

Heat tech is really fine and wonderfully warm for layering. Costco do a triple bundle of merino socks which are quite padded too. Cheapy scarves from Primark come in all sorts of colours and are great for keeping warm.

ygritte Mon 09-Sep-13 20:46:25

Ooh,I saw that down dressing gown last year when my fleece one was just not cutting it. Glad to see it's reduced now.
Heatech vests were worn all winter,long sleeves under virtually everything.If you have a good down/duvet coat I found no need for a cardigan or fleece underneath either.

MrsCampbellBlack Mon 09-Sep-13 20:51:02

Agree with others, you need lots of layers. Thermals - I can't do heattech as hate the feel of it. Cashmere jumpers, wrist warmers, a down coat, cashmere scarves and 2 pairs of socks.

And for indoors, the much maligned ugg boots. I also have a 'house cardigan' which is basically a long grey wool cardigan that I change into as soon as I get home and take my coat off.

MrsCampbellBlack Mon 09-Sep-13 20:52:11

Oh and sheepskin insoles to go in boots - I got mine from Celtic Sheepskin or amazon.

Mominatrix Mon 09-Sep-13 20:55:35

Canada Goose Parka. Created for arctic exploration. Best money I ever spent on a coat.

pantsjustpants Mon 09-Sep-13 21:08:19

Yikes, I'm losing weight now. I've lost over 2.5st and have another 7-10lbs to go.

I'm going to be cold aren't I?!

I'm already struggling with clothes as everything is too big. I'm going to broke grin

bunnymother Mon 09-Sep-13 22:03:41

I have a North Face Greenland that has a 550 fill of down, but I don't find it hugely warm. However, I think the Zara down one I just bought will be warmer. Possibly because the former has a shiny polyester lining and the latter has a fleece lining. Do you think that's the difference? I see Canada Goose has a down filling of 625 in one of their jackets - is how warm a down jacket due to the amount of down filling or are there other factors (beyond the obvious, such as a super thin outer fabric a la the Uniqlo ones)?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now