WHERE do you find the time to moisturise, paint nails, Shred, blow dry...?

(61 Posts)
mirai Mon 09-Sep-13 07:15:24

I really want to be that sassy, groomed person who I can see in my mind's eye. But real life just doesn't make it possible for me.

I have more cosmetics and toiletries than a large branch of Boots, I have every will to have lovely painted nails at all times and be one of those people who moisturises all over after a bath. I want to have a night time skincare "routine" and I want to leap out of bed 20 minutes earlier than normal to do some shredding and then make a healthy fruit smoothie!

But, MY GOD am I always tired! If I'm not cooking then I'm cleaning, if I'm not cleaning then I have a mountain of laundry to put away, if it's not that then I'm working, if I'm not working then All I Want To Do Is Sleep.

Tips, please! You wise ladies who have half hour "windows of activity". Tell me how I can find some windows!!!

SundaySimmons Wed 11-Sep-13 16:00:08

Ignore my last post. Wrong thread!

SundaySimmons Wed 11-Sep-13 15:59:38

I don't wear one anymore but when I did I bought every lip liner ever made (!) in my quest for the perfect one, and found that expensive ones were not necessarily the best and the best ones in terms of colours, application and lasting ability were Avon Glimmerstix

Mystery mauve was my favourite one

avonshop.co.uk/product/make-up/lips/avon-glimmersticks-lip-liner.html

I don't wear a liner anymore as I find it more aging on my er aging lips!

Bonsoir Wed 11-Sep-13 13:39:11

NightLark - LOL at the audience of small DC. DD (8) is so used to my performing beauty rituals in her presence that she now helpfully regularly points out work needing to be done. "Mummy there's a scratchy hair under your arm", "Mummy your cuticles need pushing back" etc

mirai Wed 11-Sep-13 13:12:08

Toenails and fingernails polished, and body moisturised, good start for me today! smile

Kezztrel Wed 11-Sep-13 11:00:58

Bunny 5 mins, that's v impressive, I might have to get one. It takes me at least 15 mins to dry mine with my normal hairdryer. My hair's only averagely thick and mid length, but it's quite stubbornly wavy which doesn't help. I use a GHD barrel brush which adds glossiness - I'm guessing that plus a Parlux would be amazing!

bunnymother Tue 10-Sep-13 22:12:27

Kezztrel - after putting the Aquis Lisseon, drying my hair with the Parlux took a only about 5 minutes. I have long hair and use a paddle brush, in case that helps. It was a nicer glossier finish (less halo of fuzzy hairs / witch hair) than my old dryer, too.

HotCrossBunsForAll Tue 10-Sep-13 20:43:26

I think it's about building it all in so it becomes habit - I wouldn't dream of going to bed with make up on, but I used to be awful at remembering to use toner after I cleansed. Now toner is next to wipes/cleanser so I see it and I've used it often enough that it's second nature and takes mere seconds.

Another one here for keeping things by the bed. I currently have foot cream/file by my bed so I can do that quickly before I go to sleep and it takes hardly any time.

Nails done fortnightly at a salon - I think chipped mail varnish can ruin a look no matter how groomed the rest of you is.

Invest in moisturising shower gel or in shower moisturiser/body oil. Use face packs whilst you have conditioner on, or use that time to give your legs/bikini/armpits a quick going over.

I always plan what I'm wearing the night before and make sure things are ironed & I know where shoes/accessorises are. I stick a berocca in a glass of water before I get in the shower, it's ready by the time I get out.

I am by no means ultra groomed but these little things help. Loving all the tips here!

duckyfuzz Tue 10-Sep-13 20:42:43

scripsi no, it feels lovely, soaks in quickly

Rubybrazilianwax Tue 10-Sep-13 18:53:38

I have a full manicure kit in the car. I am generally waiting on the dc outside something regularly. I do my nails then

noisytoys Tue 10-Sep-13 18:09:04

I don't even know what shredding is confused

scripsi Tue 10-Sep-13 17:49:19

duckyfuzz thanks for the tip, does the neutrogena stuff feel sticky at all?

addictedtofarmville Tue 10-Sep-13 12:51:52

NightLark, that's made me chuckle as I often have an audience of small children too. And occasionally the dog or cat will come in to watch.

NightLark Tue 10-Sep-13 12:09:54

I pretty much stopped watching telly (3 DC, pt job etc).

I'm no style icon but I Shred between 6.30 and 7.00 am (normally with an audience of small children...) and moisturise using that Nivea in-shower stuff. My nails are kept very short and clean, which is the best I can do!

Kezztrel Tue 10-Sep-13 11:57:22

How much faster are Parlux hairdryers at drying your hair? I have a decent hairdryer (I think...) but wondering if I should invest in a Parlux if it means I have time to dry my hair in the morning on days when hairwashing and work coincide!

wordfactory Tue 10-Sep-13 10:52:33

For those that don't like body lotion, try using body oil in the shower rather than shower gel/soap or for one last wash if you need the detergent grin. But be careful not to slip as you get out!

L'occitaine body oil is lovely. But anyhting would do.

I use nail bars once a fortnight. Tell them you have 30 mins and no more. Perfect nails that need no touching up for two weeks!

Make up should produce the best results in the minimum time. Save new products and experiments for holidays.
My Summer routine is bronzer, cream blush, mascara, eyebrow pencil, lip gloss. Products kept in their own make up bag, seperately from the drawerful of other stuff!!!

coveredinweetabix Tue 10-Sep-13 10:09:21

To give the other perspective, I don't have time for all of this. I did do the Shred for 14 consecutive days and did have a more toned stomach and smaller thighs at the end of it but really noticed lots of little things had slipped - I hadn't had a chance to catch up with a friend whose marriage is going through a rocky patch and nor had I had a chance to speak to another good friend whose father had died; I hadn't done any hand washing; I hadn't filed the paperwork; I hadn't done any batch cooking for the DC. Little things but they bugged me. I now shred 3 or 4 times most weeks but sometimes it may only be twice.
As for beauty stuff, now DC2 is 15mths, he's pretty safe in the bath so, instead of watching him like a hawk, I've now got various bits in the children's bathroom so can do my nails, eyebrows etc whilst they're in the bath.

SundaySimmons Tue 10-Sep-13 08:12:27

I have stopped having my nails professionally done and am doing them myself. This is the hardest thing to incorporate into my life because when I am at home, I get interrupted and touch something, thus spoiling my nails.

So I do all prep at home but when I leave for work, I sit in car and apply nail colour/polish/varnish and they dry as I drive!

Vaseline spray and go is a quick and easy body moisturiser.

Without being crude, I keep a nail file in my bathroom so I can file my nails whilst on the loo!

Apply foot cream at night and wear cotton socks to get lovely feet each morning.

And the only answer for me is to make time! I want to look good so I make the time.

mirai Tue 10-Sep-13 07:19:33

I am looking forward to sitting down with a cuppa and going through all these tips properly and making some notes!! Thanks everyone, you've made it a great thread smile

mirai Tue 10-Sep-13 07:17:43

So many tips on one page! What great advice everyone has given. I love the idea of changing for bed once you're "in for the night" and just doing your nighttime skincare routine on the sofa instead of waiting for bed time when you're just too knackered. Sounds daft but I would never have thought of that so will start that one tonight!!

duckyfuzz Tue 10-Sep-13 07:14:06

Scripsi neutrogena body lotion is excellent

MinesAPintOfTea Tue 10-Sep-13 05:56:13

Most of my exercise is cycling to ds's nursery for pickup and dining whilst dh takes ds to church.

I have plain yoghurt with fruit for breakfast, buy frozen (chopped) fruit and spend 30secs preparing the bowl and sticking it in the fridge before bed.

Moisturise after a shower, takes about a minute because my favourite body lotion and face cream are next to my hairbrush on my dresser. Brush my hair, Rowell dry, brush again, go and have breakfast, rub the brush through once more and by the time I get to uni it looks blow dried and is ready to put up.

Evenings I do pilate exercises on ds's floor whilst he series down for the night.

bunnymother Tue 10-Sep-13 05:29:04

3 products that can help save you time (I use them all):

Maybelline gel nail polish (Rose Poudrw is a great nude shade): you only need to paint for nails once a week as the polish is properly chip resistant. No base coat required.

Aquis Lisse microfibre towel to dry your hair faster (put it on, take off 5 mins later and hair can be dried. No need to rub w towel etc)

Parlux 3200 hair dryer. Believe the hype. Really effective hair dryer.

scripsi Tue 10-Sep-13 03:34:06

Thanks Lilly I shall treat myself! I am awake with sinusitis so my poor skin is going to need all the help it can get.

LillyNotOfTheValley Tue 10-Sep-13 02:50:43

scripsy kiehl's all the way: non sticky, dries with your skin in 5 min and awesome results. Only issue is the price in the U.K. but you do not need a lot as it blends with the water left on your skin. Probably my best investment in years!

LillyNotOfTheValley Tue 10-Sep-13 02:41:51

I do not do the cleaning either

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now