WHERE do you find the time to moisturise, paint nails, Shred, blow dry...?

(61 Posts)
mirai Mon 09-Sep-13 07:15:24

I really want to be that sassy, groomed person who I can see in my mind's eye. But real life just doesn't make it possible for me.

I have more cosmetics and toiletries than a large branch of Boots, I have every will to have lovely painted nails at all times and be one of those people who moisturises all over after a bath. I want to have a night time skincare "routine" and I want to leap out of bed 20 minutes earlier than normal to do some shredding and then make a healthy fruit smoothie!

But, MY GOD am I always tired! If I'm not cooking then I'm cleaning, if I'm not cleaning then I have a mountain of laundry to put away, if it's not that then I'm working, if I'm not working then All I Want To Do Is Sleep.

Tips, please! You wise ladies who have half hour "windows of activity". Tell me how I can find some windows!!!

IsabelleRinging Mon 09-Sep-13 14:57:05

I do all this as part of my morning routine, BUT I don't shred (whatever that is) and never have time to paint nails except for special occasions. I struggle fitting in time to shave legs too.

MissDD1971 Mon 09-Sep-13 15:11:30

Jemima - you are right re Seche Vite. Miracle product and was one I meant. smile

HellonHeels Mon 09-Sep-13 15:53:31

My tips are:

You don't have to do EVERYTHING every day. Do one or two things every day; build up slowly, habits take a while to bed in. Most of the things you describe don't take that long but it looks a bit overwhelming if you think you've got to do it all, every day.

Lay out all clothes (incl underwear, tights, shoes) the night before to save time faffing about in the morning.

Keep hand cream/foot cream/eye serum/whatever by the bed and slap it on just before you get into bed. I've got a ped egg by the bed and it takes a minute to sand the feet down.

If you've got a mountain of laundry to wash/dry/put away I would assume that your household has too much clothing. If you don't have the physical space to put things away, you definitely have too much stuff - lighten your load! Do a load a day and put it all away as soon as it's dry (one load should take 5 minutes to fold and put away) - principle is to break tasks down into much smaller, quicker, achievable ones and can apply to most household stuff.

In the shower, wash your hair, put on conditioner and leave to soak in for a minute while you shave legs/file rough skin from heels and toes/use a body brush to smooth upper arm skin (one or two of these will take two minutes!)

I file my nails at my desk while reading emails in the morning (no worse than my colleagues eating stinky food at their desks); get eyebrows threaded at lunchtime at place near my work.

Keep a little tube of hair serum in your bag, and a lipstick; do a 30 second repair when you go to the loo.

Go to bed earlier; get up earlier. Moving the times back by 10 minutes every couple of days is easier than doing half an hour in one go, as long as you stick to it.

scripsi Mon 09-Sep-13 16:03:31

I have never been in the habit of moisturising my body but I can see that I really need it. I have really dry skin but can't bear the feeling of stickiness. What would anyone recommend?

eurochick Mon 09-Sep-13 16:12:12

I moisturise face morning and night.
I moisturise my body every morning after my shower.
I shave every day in the shower.
I have to blow dry my hair otherwise I look like a scarecrow. To save time I only wash it every other day. On the second day I wear it up and tweak it with straightners if it is kinky from sleep.
My toenails are done about once a fortnight - either in front of the telly or under the desk at work!
Fingernails are rarely painted - maybe once a month and mostly when I am at work (I have perfected the art of typing without smudging them).
Exercise is usually done twice a week after work and a session at the weekend (although that has slipped as I have been going through a bit of a bad patch).

None of it really takes that long - just a few minutes here and there.

I think like everything you have to be organised about it. I have a kind of mental tick list for the things that I need to do daily, a bit like I do to keep on top of the housework. Eventually it becomes a habit.

I get up at 6am three mornings a week to go for a run before DH leaves for work at 7am. Staying in bed is often tempting, but once I am up and out it feels great.

Otherwise I get up at 7am and jump straight in the shower. I have short hair so it doesn't take long to wash and condition, or to dry. I wrap my towel around myself while I wash and moisturise my face and brush my teeth, by the time I've finished I'm nearly dry. I then moisturise my body and leave it to sink in while I dry and style my hair, then get dressed. I lay my clothes out the night before so getting dressed is pretty quick. I put my make up on after eating breakfast. We leave the house at 8.15am for work and school.

I paint my nails every Sunday night. I use a pretty neutral colour so small chips aren't glaringly obvious, but I find that if I do it properly (base coat, two coats of colour, top coat) it lasts a week. I keep hand cream by every sink and put it on every time I wash my hands.

I often put my PJs on when the DC go to bed as I'm then "in for the night" and I take my make up off and moisturise etc then rather than waiting until I'm really tired and can't be bothered.

I diarise haircuts, facials, eyebrow waxes etc so that it doesn't go too long between them.

For me personally everything works better when I have a plan grin

Kezztrel Mon 09-Sep-13 16:44:40

I do all those things except blow dry. If I ever attempt to blow dry my hair in the morning, I am late for work! I just stick some product in, let it dry naturally and hope for the best.

I usually Shred while dinner's cooking then have a quick shower while DH sorts out the final dinner prep.

I work from home on Fridays and have the house to myself, so I paint my nails then - as I'm just typing on the computer it takes 2 mins to paint them and I can be working while they dry.

Moisturising....well that doesn't take long does it? I slap it on all over after ever shower, otherwise my skin feels horrible.

I think it's just about getting into the habit of it, because technically these things don't take long to do - it's just the remembering and then feeling motivated to do them that's key!

Kezztrel Mon 09-Sep-13 16:48:30

Oh and yes I'm about a million times more likely to be found exercisizng/putting on nail varnish/moisturiser etc than cleaning the house... The spiders are happy in their webs and I never look at the skirting boards.

Paintyourbox Mon 09-Sep-13 20:56:24

I get up early to exercise because I find that getting out of bed half an hour early to do some exercise makes me feel more energetic and generally happier for the rest of the day. If I don't feel like doing it, I challenge myself to put on my workout gear and go downstairs and that if I really don't want to exercise I can just have a cuppa instead. I can tell you that by the time you have your exercise clothes on you will never just have the cuppa.

Then I shower and apply body moisturiser, I brush my teeth while I wait for it to sink in. Then get dressed (put clothes out the night before and have work bag packed so no question what to wear)

It only takes me 5 minutes to do my makeup as I've had the same routine for years- foundation, concealer, blusher, neutral colour of eyeshadow and pencil in my brows. Mascara and lippy when I arrive at work.

I have short hair so doesn't take long to blow dry and find its worth the effort to have regular trims.

Paint my toenails once a fortnight and do a DIY mani once a week. I use Leighton Denny Miracle Drops and find them fantastic for quick drying.

Brows threaded once every fortnight (as I am the yeti woman!) and shave legs/armpits daily.

I don't watch much TV and like another poster, put my PJs on and take my makeup off as soon as I get in from work. Then I can just go to bed whenever I want.

libertychick Mon 09-Sep-13 23:21:01

Thanks JeminaP smile

LillyNotOfTheValley Tue 10-Sep-13 02:39:43

I work FT and have 2 DCs under 3.5 and 1 on the way so the routine is not always respected but here goes:
- hair done in the mornings. = 10 min with the right product (frizz ease john frieda for me, no need for straightening)
- nails: usually manicure during lunch time. Pedicure is for sunday nights in front of the tv
- make up: 5 min every morning (bb cream, blush, mascara amd lipstick)
- moisturize: 20 sec after showering (kiehl's has a fantastic thing that has to be applied on wet skin. I dry while picking clothes)
- I do not work out at all, just go to the nursery/school walking every morning, walk to work and take stairs. and smoke when not pregnant
- more importantly I kick DH and DCs out for 2h eveey week end, they either go to the park or to a museum/cinema and I have time to go to yoga/wax and all.
Start doing that and you will be sorted out in a week!

LillyNotOfTheValley Tue 10-Sep-13 02:41:51

I do not do the cleaning either

LillyNotOfTheValley Tue 10-Sep-13 02:50:43

scripsy kiehl's all the way: non sticky, dries with your skin in 5 min and awesome results. Only issue is the price in the U.K. but you do not need a lot as it blends with the water left on your skin. Probably my best investment in years!

scripsi Tue 10-Sep-13 03:34:06

Thanks Lilly I shall treat myself! I am awake with sinusitis so my poor skin is going to need all the help it can get.

bunnymother Tue 10-Sep-13 05:29:04

3 products that can help save you time (I use them all):

Maybelline gel nail polish (Rose Poudrw is a great nude shade): you only need to paint for nails once a week as the polish is properly chip resistant. No base coat required.

Aquis Lisse microfibre towel to dry your hair faster (put it on, take off 5 mins later and hair can be dried. No need to rub w towel etc)

Parlux 3200 hair dryer. Believe the hype. Really effective hair dryer.

MinesAPintOfTea Tue 10-Sep-13 05:56:13

Most of my exercise is cycling to ds's nursery for pickup and dining whilst dh takes ds to church.

I have plain yoghurt with fruit for breakfast, buy frozen (chopped) fruit and spend 30secs preparing the bowl and sticking it in the fridge before bed.

Moisturise after a shower, takes about a minute because my favourite body lotion and face cream are next to my hairbrush on my dresser. Brush my hair, Rowell dry, brush again, go and have breakfast, rub the brush through once more and by the time I get to uni it looks blow dried and is ready to put up.

Evenings I do pilate exercises on ds's floor whilst he series down for the night.

duckyfuzz Tue 10-Sep-13 07:14:06

Scripsi neutrogena body lotion is excellent

mirai Tue 10-Sep-13 07:17:43

So many tips on one page! What great advice everyone has given. I love the idea of changing for bed once you're "in for the night" and just doing your nighttime skincare routine on the sofa instead of waiting for bed time when you're just too knackered. Sounds daft but I would never have thought of that so will start that one tonight!!

mirai Tue 10-Sep-13 07:19:33

I am looking forward to sitting down with a cuppa and going through all these tips properly and making some notes!! Thanks everyone, you've made it a great thread smile

SundaySimmons Tue 10-Sep-13 08:12:27

I have stopped having my nails professionally done and am doing them myself. This is the hardest thing to incorporate into my life because when I am at home, I get interrupted and touch something, thus spoiling my nails.

So I do all prep at home but when I leave for work, I sit in car and apply nail colour/polish/varnish and they dry as I drive!

Vaseline spray and go is a quick and easy body moisturiser.

Without being crude, I keep a nail file in my bathroom so I can file my nails whilst on the loo!

Apply foot cream at night and wear cotton socks to get lovely feet each morning.

And the only answer for me is to make time! I want to look good so I make the time.

coveredinweetabix Tue 10-Sep-13 10:09:21

To give the other perspective, I don't have time for all of this. I did do the Shred for 14 consecutive days and did have a more toned stomach and smaller thighs at the end of it but really noticed lots of little things had slipped - I hadn't had a chance to catch up with a friend whose marriage is going through a rocky patch and nor had I had a chance to speak to another good friend whose father had died; I hadn't done any hand washing; I hadn't filed the paperwork; I hadn't done any batch cooking for the DC. Little things but they bugged me. I now shred 3 or 4 times most weeks but sometimes it may only be twice.
As for beauty stuff, now DC2 is 15mths, he's pretty safe in the bath so, instead of watching him like a hawk, I've now got various bits in the children's bathroom so can do my nails, eyebrows etc whilst they're in the bath.

wordfactory Tue 10-Sep-13 10:52:33

For those that don't like body lotion, try using body oil in the shower rather than shower gel/soap or for one last wash if you need the detergent grin. But be careful not to slip as you get out!

L'occitaine body oil is lovely. But anyhting would do.

I use nail bars once a fortnight. Tell them you have 30 mins and no more. Perfect nails that need no touching up for two weeks!

Make up should produce the best results in the minimum time. Save new products and experiments for holidays.
My Summer routine is bronzer, cream blush, mascara, eyebrow pencil, lip gloss. Products kept in their own make up bag, seperately from the drawerful of other stuff!!!

Kezztrel Tue 10-Sep-13 11:57:22

How much faster are Parlux hairdryers at drying your hair? I have a decent hairdryer (I think...) but wondering if I should invest in a Parlux if it means I have time to dry my hair in the morning on days when hairwashing and work coincide!

NightLark Tue 10-Sep-13 12:09:54

I pretty much stopped watching telly (3 DC, pt job etc).

I'm no style icon but I Shred between 6.30 and 7.00 am (normally with an audience of small children...) and moisturise using that Nivea in-shower stuff. My nails are kept very short and clean, which is the best I can do!

addictedtofarmville Tue 10-Sep-13 12:51:52

NightLark, that's made me chuckle as I often have an audience of small children too. And occasionally the dog or cat will come in to watch.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now