WHERE do you find the time to moisturise, paint nails, Shred, blow dry...?

(61 Posts)
mirai Mon 09-Sep-13 07:15:24

I really want to be that sassy, groomed person who I can see in my mind's eye. But real life just doesn't make it possible for me.

I have more cosmetics and toiletries than a large branch of Boots, I have every will to have lovely painted nails at all times and be one of those people who moisturises all over after a bath. I want to have a night time skincare "routine" and I want to leap out of bed 20 minutes earlier than normal to do some shredding and then make a healthy fruit smoothie!

But, MY GOD am I always tired! If I'm not cooking then I'm cleaning, if I'm not cleaning then I have a mountain of laundry to put away, if it's not that then I'm working, if I'm not working then All I Want To Do Is Sleep.

Tips, please! You wise ladies who have half hour "windows of activity". Tell me how I can find some windows!!!

AmethystMoon Mon 09-Sep-13 07:20:48

I do most of this -except shred- but I very rarely watch TV. Most people I know claim not to have time for XY or Z but manage to talk about the latest soaps, game shows, talent shoes etc. so I guess that is how I find time.

AmethystMoon Mon 09-Sep-13 07:21:32

Hmmm talent show not shoe!

duckyfuzz Mon 09-Sep-13 07:24:26

I get up early enough to shower, moisturise, do hair etc - its only an extra 10 mins or so. I go to bed with enough time to cleanse and moisturise again, 5 mins tops. I aim to shred daily but in reality I manage 5/7 which I think is ok - I find it takes 30 mins by the time you add in all the other bits. My finger nails aren't done, polish only ever lasts 5 mins on them!

TripTrapTripTrapOverTheBridge Mon 09-Sep-13 07:26:38

If you get up that little bit early to exercise you'll end up having more energy throughout the day ;)

Moisturizing doesn't take long,just hop out of the shower or bath,quickly dry and slap it on.

Paint nails when you're sat having a cuppa etc.

If you have time to be online you have time to do these things smile

When I get out of the shower in the morning I instantly 'plop' my hair (way of putting curly hair in a towel),by the time I've done that my body is dry so I moisturise and bung some clothes on.Make my morning cuppa and while drinking it put my light make up on and can quickly paint my nails,if I can be bothered.Then when I've finished it's time to remove my towel and let my hair air dry.

Once a week when in the bath chuck a face mask on.

Etc etc.Easily done and can be part of multi tasking if needs be.

Only recently got back into it though tbh.

The getting up early for exercise can take a couple of days to get used to,as you think 'just a few more minutes in bed',but it's worth it.

TripTrapTripTrapOverTheBridge Mon 09-Sep-13 07:29:36

I often cleanse my face while on the loo aswell LOL Moisturising face takes seconds.

I rarely paint my finger nails by I like to keep my toes painted and there's no need to sit worrying about picking anything up then.A little clear nail varnish or fast drying top coat on finger nails looks good though.

JemimaPuddle Mon 09-Sep-13 08:20:31

Once you've done them for a while they become habit I guess. Moisturising my face after I've cleansed takes seconds and I would no sooner not have time for that as I would not have time to brush my teeth.
Moisturising after a bath/shower I do every day & it's a minute or two which is just added to how long it takes to shower.
Painting nails I do once in bed after a shower & use fast drying top coat, ten minutes or so & I've done base coat, 2 coats of colour & top coat. I do that once a week, sometime twice.
Maybe pick one thing you really want to do such as moisturise body and start doing that every time you shower, after a few weeks you'll be doing it without thinking and then you can add another thing.

actiongirl1978 Mon 09-Sep-13 11:05:36

I just make it my priority. I am lucky and I don't work, so I am around the house all the time which makes it easier to build these things in. I am also making more effort each time the children get 'easier'.

For the last 15 months, I have been getting up at 5.45am and going for a 5km run every other day. On the days when I am really knackered this turns into a walk! It is hard, but once you are in the habit it is easier. I also feel much more sluggish when I haven't exercised at the start of the day. I take my trainers on holidays with me now too - and I was the kind of person that took in a note for PE because I hated it so much! Going out at this time means that usually the children and husband are still asleep so no-one misses me and if one of the children is up, they expect me to be going out and are happy with cbeebies on.

As for the rest of it, I wouldn't go out with wet hair, so I turn it upside down, put serum on the ends and blow dry, then brush it out and it looks presentable. I wear nice earrings, takes seconds to put them on.

In terms of nails, I had a sheer shellac done three weeks ago and it still looks presentable, i just file the ends when I need to.

It can be done although I acknowledge I make more time for it now my youngest is three! Having said that, I did a full face of makeup for the postnatal photos with both children and wore my best earrings for labour, so I think I have always made grooming a priority!

Meglet Mon 09-Sep-13 11:10:04

Put it this way, you'll never see me on the good housekeeping threads worrying about cleaning my skirting boards freaks.

Exercise has to be my priority or else my mental health goes a bit pear shaped (I'm a LP). The kids have been known to join in when I do Shred / 10 Minute Solution. I use quick drying top coats for my nail polish, it lasts for my 3 day working week.

TripTrapTripTrapOverTheBridge Mon 09-Sep-13 11:12:58

Do people really regularly clean their skirting boards?I've hear of it but couldn't believe it..

Hopefully Mon 09-Sep-13 11:20:08

Like Meglet I'm not much of a cleaner. Laundry and essential cleaning (kitchens, bathrooms etc) is done, and everything gets hoovered when it looks a bit dusty. I am shock at people who hoover daily etc.

- I paint my nails in front of the tv in the evening, about once a week. I keep cuticle oil next to the computer where I work 4 days a week and try to remember to apply a few times a day, which stops my nails going all flaky
- use a few drops of body oil rather than body lotion as I find it less sticky so don't need to wait as long for it to dry.
- Make up I have down to a quick base, mascara, blusher, brow pencil, lipstick routine.
- I have good haircuts so my hairstyling takes about four minutes (literally), and if I don't have time to style it it still looks ok with a bit of texturising stuff through it.
- Exercise I find different things work in cycles - sometimes I run for a few months, then swim for a few months, then Shred for a few months. I find I can't commit to something for longer than about 3 months at a time. Getting into each new 'cycle' takes about a week of punishment, then i feel positively deprived if I don't do it.

libertychick Mon 09-Sep-13 11:38:41

I do a mini facial a couple of times a week while DD is in the bath, cleanse, exfoliate, pop on a mask, wash DD and play a game, then remove mask while she splashes around, massage in moisturiser then get her out of bath. Body moisturiser after every shower, doesn't have to be a major production, take less than a minute. Rub feet hard with the towel after shower to stop hard skin from building up. Make up v simple, CC cream, blusher, lippy and sometimes mascara. Agree good hair cut makes a difference, I have given up on straightners etc and just go with the wavy look, rough dry, some spray gel to manage the frizz and go.

What fast dry top coat do you all use? My problem with nail varnish is the need to sit and wait for it to dry...

Agree - don't watch TV (or spend too much time on MN!!). Hoovering is a once a week activity in my house - best investment ever was a hand held Dyson - means you can keep it on charge then grab for quick tidy ups around the front door or where ever looks a bit dusty then just do a big hoover once a week.

MissDD1971 Mon 09-Sep-13 11:51:48

Multi tasking products are good.

There's a nice exfoliating and moisturising body wash from Sanctuary that does a few jobs.

Nivea do an In Shower Moisturiser in both dry and extra dry.

BB creams etc

Nagoo Mon 09-Sep-13 11:55:02

I shellac my nails, you can do other stuff straight away because it cures rather than air dries. And I don't have to do it very often (every 2 weeks).

There is enough time in the day, you just have to want to have swishy hair more than you want to collapse in front of the telly.

MissDD1971 Mon 09-Sep-13 11:55:31

Liberty chick I use those drops forget name for top coat that dries fast.

I use the bourjois quick dry nail polish not used others.

DipMeInChocolate Mon 09-Sep-13 12:06:40

I pamper once the kids are in bed, nails take a couple of minutes. My hair is the hardest thing to do. I colour every 3/4 weeks but use the 10min one from bodycare. I only have time (30-45 mins) to style it at night so wash, dry and style before bed every other day. Its long and thick. Quick make up is concealer, mascara, blusher and lip gloss. Moisteriser by the bed to soak my feet before bed and use the pregnancy oil spray after a shower. I also exfoliate my face every day using an exfoliation sponge and olive oil soap.

Its about finding the quick fixes that work for you I suppose. I'll never be the one who spends all day on her looks but prefer to look slightly groomed if I can.

JemimaPuddle Mon 09-Sep-13 12:07:16

liberty Seche vite - it's excellent

MrsDavidBowie Mon 09-Sep-13 12:16:39

I never paint fingernails, but do toes every 2-3 weeks, moisturise body daily, have a facial and hair cut/ roots every 6 weeks.
And I clean my house (yes even skirting boards once a month!)

If I feel good, I am happy, which means everyone else is grin
I rarely watch tv as well and am in bed by 10 every night .

Skinheadmermaid Mon 09-Sep-13 12:19:46

The more exercise you do the fitter and more energy you will have. I know it's SO hard to drag yourself to the gym on a rainy autumnal evening after a long day of work/screaming children but trust me once you get into a routine and really force yourself to go you'll have a lot more energy.
You can buy loads of fast drying nail varnishes that take a couple of minutes to do. Use Good quality hair conditioner in the shower and then moisturize all over afterwards, only takes 3 or 4 minutes.

Kelly1814 Mon 09-Sep-13 12:20:18

agree on the tv point. we don't have a connected tv - just watch downloads/bbc i player, if we choose to. it is amazing how much time this frees up! it completely changed our loves.

MrsDavidBowie Mon 09-Sep-13 12:22:45

With exercise I tell dh that I will out at such and such a time...that means I will go to the gym. I find around 5 is a good time in our house.
Pilates starts tonight at 6.30.

Bonsoir Mon 09-Sep-13 12:26:17

I alternate professional blitzes (hair cut, manicure, pedicure, waxing) on same day with at home top ups. I always dye my own eyelashes.

Exercise is a family activity like cycling, swimming, gym, tennis - or running errands!

Well I watch TV, and clean, and work full time, and have 2 children and shred.
Shredding gets done at 6am
Cleaning is all done on saturday mornings, aside from 'as you go along' stuff like wiping surfaces, taking things back to their rightful places etc. I think it's that sort of maintenance that keeps things ticking over.
Mornings I have a 5 minutes shower, moisturise, BB cream, bit of powder and mascara.
Do toenails and epilation once every few weeks. My fingernails are au naturel - which I prefer tbh. I also do home colour once every 6 weeks, tone every couple of weeks and straighten 3 times a week.
But the evenings are mine. Once I've run around hanging out washing, emptying the dishwasher, cooking and clearing up and got the kids to bed it's usually about 8.30pm. I then have 90 minutes to either watch TV, MN or have a long bath and read. That's enough to appreciate.
And I'm essentially a lazy sod, but it is true that the more you exercise, the more energey you have. I also have a cycle to work and back - it's great!

addictedtofarmville Mon 09-Sep-13 12:50:34

I like to look groomed but also over the years have found shortcuts to achieving it, and don't spend hours on my appearance, even though at times I probably look like I do.

I exercise most days. I did Davina McCall DVDs for ages and now I do the 30 day Shred. I fit it in whenever I can. Sometimes this is at 7am if I am up early, at other times it's mid afternoon, but most often in the evenings. I often end up taking the laptop up into the bedroom and watching the DVD on it and exercising in there if DH and the children are all watching tv downstairs. I also dog walk most days for half an hour to an hour, and walk on the school runs.

I have long hair, which I think helps me look groomed as I can easily put it into a bun (I use a doughnut) or in a pony tail. On days that I wash my hair, or when it's been washed the day before and needs a bit more styling, I use a Babyliss Big Hair styler. It makes me look like I've had a blow dry in a salon but it literally takes me 2 minutes to do. It's also handy that my teenage DD loves doing hairstyles, and will often do me a French plait at the front of my head holding all my hair back, or will do up-do's for me for weddings and nights out. She's very good at it.

I am lucky that I don't have to shave my legs very often, as my hair is quite fair and fine on my legs, but I have a shower each day and always shave under my arms and my bikini line. Sometimes I slap a bit of body lotion on but I try to use moisturising shower gels.

I use a make up wipe at night to take my make up off quickly, then I hot cloth cleanse the following morning. I'm lucky that my skin is clear, and I generally just put a bit of benefit porefessional primer on, a bit of eyeliner, mascara, cream blush and lip colour each day. It takes me 2 minutes maximum. My big tip though would be to get your brows waxed at a salon every few weeks. It doesn't cost much but I find it really makes me look more groomed. I usually get my top lip done too.

amessagetoyouYoni Mon 09-Sep-13 13:10:51

I find fitting in exercise really hard, I must admt. Its having the energy. On a good week, I swim before work once a week, do yoga and the shred at weekends, maybe fit in a shred once during the week. But some weeks I am working so hard and get so knackered, it just doesnt happen. I'm really trying to get a good routine.

I am in a good routine with beauty, though. I have a manciure and pedicure once a fortnight and book it in ahead, usually straight after work on Fridays when DH does after-school duties. Its non-negotiable grin. I also book in for eyebrow shape once a month, and usually fit it in on a Saturday morning.

I shave my armpits and legs every other day in the shower. I have a 'beauty bath' every Sunday night without fail, and use a scrub/mask, exfoliate, do a hair masque, and then fake tan afterwards.

I find its helpful to stop looking at this sort of thing as a chore and start thinking of it as looking after yourself - something relaxing and enjoyable that you know will make you feel good. I give myself a facial massage with oil and do my face exercises for five mins at night before bed, and thats now something that relaxes me and has become part of my bedtime routine. I actually really enjy my Sunday night bath etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now