Is it possible to be more quality rather than quantity?

(15 Posts)
Karbea Sat 07-Sep-13 21:17:57

I'm definitely more primark and h&m, but if I bought less I could definitely afford better quality things, but I'm worried I'd get bored? Right now I'm fed up with my wardrobe, as everything looks so cheap.

So my question is do you do more quality rather than quantity? And how do you stop getting bored with your reduced but expensive wardrobe?

MrsCampbellBlack Sat 07-Sep-13 21:31:08

I have found more and more that I just don't buy much on the high street. Mainly because its polyester city.

And although you may buy less if its more £££ it lasts longer than cheap stuff so your wardrobe isn't much smaller.

I hear you. I just think it's not dignified, at my age, to go around swathed in polyester crap. However, I am perpetually skint. My main source of clothes these days is ebay- get good brands and you can usually resell them quite easily if it transpires that you can't do up a size 8 Boden shirt due to norkage.

SunshineMMum Sat 07-Sep-13 21:40:59

I think that fabric and cut aren't as important if you are young and relatively slim. With a few exceptions I now tend to buy quality, but second hand because of budget and age.

Yes. But quality is not always linked to price. I have several H&M cotton tops which have worn and washed really really well, and I have other more expensive things which have seemingly dissolved in the wash.

MrsCampbellBlack Sat 07-Sep-13 21:47:21

Generally though, I think you get what you pay for - both in terms of quality and production values.

The worst offenders though are shops like Whistles and Jigsaw which charge 'quality' prices and then flog you polyester.

When I hit 4o I decided to stop buying a lot of cheap tat and invest in quality. I now mix cheap and more expensive. I have a big wardrobe. I buy cheap if I'm not sure how a trend will work on me. I buy quality for stuff I'll wear a lot and bags and shoes because if you spend on accessories people often think the rest is expensive too.
I think it's more important to become savvy about fabrics . Some look cheap and wash really badly.

Karbea Sat 07-Sep-13 21:50:14

So how did you go about it? Did you one day just stop buying cr@p and the next time you needed something get something better? Or did you upgrade all your basics?

Definitely. The Kettlewell tops I have <declares vested interest as I sell these> are wearing very well. Normally I wouldn't pay £30 for a top, but I actually think these are value for money. Things like the seams staying lined up after washing etc. And brands like Hobbs and LK Bennett I get that you a paying for good design / fabric etc. Even when you get really high end like Brora, you can see why the items are that price - in the case of Brora, because they are handcrafted in Britain to a very high standard.

What annoys me is brands like White Stuff where a skirt is £60 and it's not even lined.

Karbea I started my House of Colour journey, and once I had found out my colours and my clothing personality, the amount of stuff I actually could buy which fitted my brief reduced dramatically! I now have much less in my wardrobe, but I wear all of it.

MarshaBrady Sat 07-Sep-13 21:56:23

I mostly go for a mix of good quality at full price (at the beginning of the season) or in sales. Then add the odd thing from the outnet.

I pretty much don't do full price high st as I don't think it's as good value as something that was more expensive but discounted. I don't find say Top Shop that cheap, when it's meant to be.

I started after working in Covent Garden for a few years and buying only from Reiss, Mango, Zara and whatever else around there. I started to loathe everything in my wardrobe.

Now I pretty much like it all.

Karbea a gradual process.

Decided never again to buy plastic shoes or bags. I had a huge clear out and now own a tan,a blue and a black bag....all very nice quality ones. I'd like a red next. ( I did keep all of my cheapo evening bags)

I decided to never allow myself to buy anything made of 100%polyester or and knitwear containing acrylic ( the devils yarn ....shudders!)

MarshaBrady Sat 07-Sep-13 22:00:40

And like Dry it's mostly down to fabric content. If I have £50-£60 I can get a cashmere jumper from the outnet or a top from high st. I'd rather the discount. And it's pretty simple stuff so doesn't matter.

SunshineMMum Sat 07-Sep-13 22:11:23

I also think mixing things is key. I am resolved to buying some nice knits, as I really think that they can make an outfit, as Marsha says.

santamarianovella Sat 07-Sep-13 22:28:24

karbea as it has been said its a very gradual process, think of buying one good item now,and keep your eye for great bargains on the outnet and sales time.
i don't get bored with my wardrobe as I think about every purchase I plan to make .and even if I don't make any purchases this winter my closet still looks good,,and its not overstuffed with clothes,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now