style heroes?

(81 Posts)
nellieloula Sat 07-Sep-13 08:11:30

So my gorgeous friend is treating me to a morning with a personal shopper/stylist. Very exciting - in advance i have been asked to tell her whose style I like....my mind has gone completely blank!

So in the hope of some inspiration....who are your style heroes??

mewkins Sun 08-Sep-13 11:43:28

Zooey Deschanel and Katie Holmes. Both do casual very convincingly.

SuperConfused Sun 08-Sep-13 12:19:12

Cate Blanchett, I like zooey Deschanel too. Also Tori Amos from back in the day.

AwkwardSquad Sun 08-Sep-13 13:33:59

Interesting question, I'm struggling a bit too... Patti Smith, Jane Birkin. I like Lauren Laverne's picks in the Observer but wouldn't go quite so far as to say she's my style hero. Tilda Swinton definitely but unimitable. YY to Vivienne Westwood and Daphne Guinness. Helen Mirrin is pretty cool too. I will have to think more on this!

bunnymother Sun 08-Sep-13 15:04:21

Absolutely agree re Daphne Guinness. Nan Kempner was another high fashion original. Both women seem/ed (Nan is dead) to see fashion as an art, and embrace/d the dressing up /dramatic aspect.

PoshPaula Sun 08-Sep-13 15:08:23

Clemence Poesy. She doesn't try and look sexy.

cocolepew Sun 08-Sep-13 15:11:08

Debbie Harry and Doris Day blush

Mominatrix Sun 08-Sep-13 15:17:23

Mine would be:

Oldies: Coco Chanel, Audrey Hepburn, C.Z. Guest

Current: Jenna Lyons, Giovanna Battaglia, Carine Roitfeld, Emanuelle Alt

SvetlanaKirilenko Sun 08-Sep-13 17:56:28

Charlotte Gainsbourg

Marylou2 Sun 08-Sep-13 18:02:31

Emmanuelle Alt. I love that she could wear any designer at any price but chooses to stick with her timeless signature aesthetic.

LizzieVereker Sun 08-Sep-13 18:09:18

Bit sad, but Audrey in "Rules of Engagement" ( the sitcom not the film). I love everything she wears, and she has curves. I love Olivia Palermo and Kate Moss, but their figures are so boyish, I couldn't carry off their style.

Dawndonnaagain Sun 08-Sep-13 18:11:19

Oh good grief! I'm still in my Annie Hall/Diane Keaton phase and I'm in my mid fifties! grin

CambridgeBlue Sun 08-Sep-13 19:01:49

I love the way a lot of people look/ed eg Debbie Harry, Chrissie Hynde, Audrey Hepburn but their looks wouldn't necessarily suit me. The one person I always think looks lovely and whose style I actually have a chance of pulling off is Jennifer Aniston. I like how she does both casual and full-on red carpet really well and always looks polished but not over the top or too 'done'. I think she knows what suits her and sticks to it which is key to a stylish look - being drop dead gorgeous doesn't hurt either!

AphraBehn Sun 08-Sep-13 19:03:59

Reese Witherspoon for me.

snowynight Sun 08-Sep-13 19:12:01

Julianne Moore - always elegant and absolutely beautiful. 52 and doesn't appear to have had any work done.

SneezySnatcher Sun 08-Sep-13 19:20:09

Another vote for Clemence Poesy - so chic but she never looks like she has tried too hard.

Allthingspretty Sun 08-Sep-13 19:38:28

Helena bonham carter

mignonette Sun 08-Sep-13 19:45:19

Kate Bosworth wears some interesting stuff and loves Rodarte and Doo Ri making her a woman of taste in my eyes.

Kate Moss in her early days. Now she looks a bit raddled and cliched. Too many years trying to be Marianne faithfull IMO.

Arizona Muse- a favourite model.

Arden Wohl- She wears a lot of Margiela.

Taylor Tomasi Hill makes interesting choices but considering the clothes available to her I'd expect her to I guess.

Marion Cotillard makes good red carpet choices.

As does Diane Kruger.

I also like Kathryn Neale and Florence Kane from US Vogue.

FallonColby Sun 08-Sep-13 20:18:21

Jackie Kennedy, her look is timeless and her style can still be adapted to suit today.

santamarianovella Sun 08-Sep-13 20:20:59

love the laid back look of some off duty models,like lily aldridge and alessandra ambrosio,

and of course the french vogue team,emanuelle and geraldine are by far the best dressed vougettes in FW.

60's stuff really. Catherine Deneuve, etc.
Julie Newmar as catwoman.
Occasionally Kirsten Dunst and Sofia Coppola.

Was fond of the Parisian chic thing until I learned that many of the masculine cuts don't suit me (charlotte gainsbourg, emmanuelle alt).

I do like the way Isabel Marant dresses.

EstelleGetty Sun 08-Sep-13 20:35:21

Miuccia Prada - she just gets it so right for me. So intelligent and unusual, but bloody gorgeous too.

Kellylesley Sun 08-Sep-13 20:54:58

Reese Witherspoon and not in real life but the character of Charlotte York in Sex and the City.

IntoTheLight Sun 08-Sep-13 20:55:10

Helena Bonham Carter. Love her.

Carin Roitfield - edgy, effortless and cool

Ujjayi Sun 08-Sep-13 21:15:26

Completely forgot about Clemence Poesy - love her style.

MissBeeHiving: I read an article in the Observer today on Carine Roitfeld. She came across very well but have you ever noticed how ungroomed her eyebrows are?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now