Outfit for an October wedding - truly no idea where to start!

(122 Posts)
Tinwe Fri 06-Sep-13 23:40:43

I've just read a few winter wedding threads and I've realised that I should seriously get moving on finding myself an outfit for a wedding mid October. I admit I'm fashion clueless, I buy anything I like that's cheap/practical/comfy/second hand and have no particular style, just never really had the confidence or money to get into fashion grin

I've been very impressed with the collective MN style knowledge and would really appreciate some help putting together an outfit or I'll just end up putting it off til the last minute and panic buying something I don't like, like usual

I'm about a size 14, fairly tall and definitely hourglass, also I was told I'm "bright autumn" when someone did my colours. The wedding is relaxed style, autumn colours.

Thanks in advance smile

ProtectiveMother Mon 07-Oct-13 20:55:46

By the way, I like all 3 dresses but Im a bit clueless as to knowing what might suit me and sizes can be wildly unflattering when buying online.

ProtectiveMother Mon 07-Oct-13 20:49:10

Sorry I would show you a photo but I'm on mobile and don't know how to do links! (and wouldn't possibly be able to find it on the Internet anyway as it may be past season.)

ProtectiveMother Mon 07-Oct-13 20:46:56

I've just bought a purplish fuscia dress by South Tall on eBay (I know!) It's plain and has sleeves halfway down upper arms and its quite short. It was a total steal & brand new so I had to buy it. If I paired it with kick ass very expensive 2 1/2 inch (I'm VERY tall already) heels and some black tights with an interesting pattern, would that be a good wedding reception outfit?

Tinwe Mon 07-Oct-13 20:20:37
Tinwe Mon 07-Oct-13 20:01:57
Tinwe Mon 07-Oct-13 19:59:55
ProtectiveMother Mon 07-Oct-13 12:20:49

Tinwe I think the wedges will be PERFECT!

Well I am totally in agreement with you re:eBay dresses.

I have decided... [drumroll] that my problem is that I don't have an appropriate pair of shoes.

I am therefore going to invest in a kick ass pair of shoes that go with everything and then I will have millions of options re:dress.

This Saturday, I shall order my very expensive shoes. I think my dress is going to be really inexpensive and I'm thinking more purple than blue now...

Laska42 Sun 06-Oct-13 21:50:07

thats it Tinwe .. wish I had a wedding to go to

Tinwe Sun 06-Oct-13 21:47:57

Laksa for some reason I couldn't get your link to work. Is this it? It's very classy and a great reduction but I have a dress sorted now, thank goodness. Anyone else around here still looking?

Laska42 Sun 06-Oct-13 21:34:02
Laska42 Sun 06-Oct-13 21:33:18

[http://www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Biba%20Silk%20bodice%20peplum%20dress/167327668,default,pd.html?_$ja=tsid:45090|kw:Skimbit|cgn:78888&awinDCS=3100_1381091359_56ada0d55625536845e4a938ca48c094||0||0||0||skim470X756X20cff625d7a761a8980285b990c5bfdc&awc=3100_1381091359_56ada0d55625536845e4a938ca48c094&cm_mmc=AWIN-_-Deeplink-_-NULL-_-NULL&istCompanyId=17910aed-1bae-4362-9580-b523eb87a91e&istItemId=imrqpqmx&istBid=t this cream and black Biba dress - classy?]]

Tinwe Sun 06-Oct-13 21:24:52

Tried to get dresses off the net and returned them all or decided they were useless due to my height. Think it's only good if you've tried it on in store already or are buying from a shop you know for certain tends to fit you.

Tinwe Sun 06-Oct-13 21:23:14

No idea re accessories, hair, nails or shoes btw! At a guess maybe hair up? No jewellery. Would simple mules (high wooden wedge with plain black leather) do? Alternatively I've got black Mary Janes with a kitten heel, flat black patent pumps with a silver buckle or normal strappy sandals with medium chunky heel.

Tinwe Sun 06-Oct-13 21:18:31

About granniness, I wasn't casting aspersions I can assure you, I'd be the last one to talk! When I was walking to the till to buy my dress I was saying to the personal shopper, "THERE'S a lace dress, was that not any good?" pointing at a rail a few yards off and she just hurried me past muttering, with a shake of the head, "wouldn't let you shop in that section anyway as it's far too old for you"... I'm mid 30s. I hasten to add that I'd asked for that level of guidance and she was lovely not pushy at all. She gave me twice the allocated slot too.
The last wedding I went to was my own and I can't remember what I wore before that (certainly wasn't over £100) so I expect this dress will last me years! grin

ProtectiveMother Sat 05-Oct-13 23:30:27

Ps Grannified lol! I can sometimes actually strike a nice balance between the young and cheap vs old and Grannified ;-)

ProtectiveMother Sat 05-Oct-13 22:25:18

The latest thing is buying a PIED A TERRE one on eBay which will prob be too short for my demands. #fussy

ProtectiveMother Sat 05-Oct-13 22:23:57

Tinwe the dress is very unique and I'm sure it looks great on you!

I'm back to the drawing board with friends lending me dresses & shoes to try on haha!

I found that I needed to splash out on a new £100 dress the last time I had a wedding to go to so should prob bite bullet and do that like you rather than faffing around wasting time and money!

Well done getting sorted. What shoes will you wear?

Tinwe Sat 05-Oct-13 21:11:45

Thanks Best smilesmile

BestIsWest Sat 05-Oct-13 21:06:22

That is a gorgeous dress Tinwe.

Tinwe Sat 05-Oct-13 18:31:27

Definitely NOT too old! I'm sure you'd look great and it's timeless, plus you don't want to look grannified...

Well, I've finally got my dress sorted but think I lost my mind! I went to Debenhams personal shopper today in a brief break while DH looked after the girls. I gave a strict budget and she was lovely and worked to it and we found something that would do. I was on my way to the till though when I saw another dress in passing. I commented how lovely it was and the shopper stated she agreed but it was way above budget. To cut a long story short, I bought it �� I managed to get lots of money off through various means but can't return it and drove home feeling sick at the money I'd spent. Especially since it was nothing like my original plan. DH was lovely about it though smilesmile

This is the dress

It looks MUCH nicer on, I make it curvier than the model grin

ProtectiveMother Fri 04-Oct-13 15:42:26

However, I have thought of a problem with the Pied a terre dress. I don't think it would look good on me due to the neckline. I don't do necklaces and my long hair will cover the nice shoulders. Probably not the best for me. The model in the photo is great in it though! I think possibly the Coast one is the best. I am 33. Is this too old for this dress?

ProtectiveMother Fri 04-Oct-13 15:02:53

The pied a terre dress is my ultimate favourite! If I sell all my other stuff on eBay I could afford it! :-)

Re: the black dress, well it's black so I would def go with the red one.

You know I have a black dress that is quite perfect on me and v classy for this wedding. (Only going to the reception!). The two downsides are

1. It's black (and black ain't good for weddings, even if you're only going to the reception!)

2. The only shoes I have to go with it are bejewelled silver sandals so I would look very Christmassy! Either that or like I was on a Caribbean cruise!

Tinwe Fri 04-Oct-13 14:32:16
Tinwe Fri 04-Oct-13 09:19:56

Protective - will come back later to analyse your posts but have FINALLY managed to find the dress I liked and wanted to paste it before I lose it again! here

It's a great shape fit my hourglass figure and length for my bit so shapely knees but I would've preferred a v neck and maybe a brighter colour. Black is slimming though! What do you think? This or the red lace dress?

ProtectiveMother Fri 04-Oct-13 07:37:30

Re: the debs one, would not fit me in size 12 according to measurements. Re: the long sleeved one- too short. Would love one that's slightly longer at the back! Not going to find it though am I?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now