Autumn Term At Crepey Towers

(1000 Posts)
QueenQueenie Thu 05-Sep-13 10:38:02

I did it!

addle Thu 26-Sep-13 17:48:21

Good luck Cremo!

my first single was either Monster Mash or Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves. I know, I know

LCHammer Thu 26-Sep-13 21:54:32

I didn't buy my own music till very late. The first tape I remember had Suzi Q and Alice Cooper. I also had a vinyl of some young German girl Andrea Something singing Something wie ein Schmetterling. I didn't speak German.

Blackduck Thu 26-Sep-13 22:10:58

Monster Mash is Fab!
First school trip - I am knackered - and it's so BIG! Ds very taken by pink haird sixth former in DM wielding swords (wooden ones....)

LCHammer Thu 26-Sep-13 22:19:32

The power of the internet. That was 1977, Andrea Jurgens and the single was Und dabei Liebe ich euch Beider. Now I'll have to email my sister and remind her about it as well smile

lalsy Thu 26-Sep-13 22:31:46

Sympathies to all having to spend hard earned cash on roofing. Up there with drains (not literally). Roll on the weekend.

alto1 Thu 26-Sep-13 22:53:21

Genesis, Nursery Cryme grin

'why don't you touch me, touch me,
Why don't you touch me, touch me touch me
Now, now, now, now, now?'

etc (outing myself as More Crepey Than Youse)

Still know all the words to Harold the Barrel as well blush

Stropps, we can aspire to crone-hood like Germaine Greer. There's a great painting of her embracing this look in the NPG

CointreauVersial Thu 26-Sep-13 23:40:19

Sending good luck vibes to Crem - hope it all goes well.......Coincidentally, DSM is back in hospital tomorrow for Take Two of gall-bladder removal.

I'm off to Prague tomorrow - yay! Meeting DH there, as he's been working all week. Although I am exhausted trying to sort out three DCs weekending in various places, requiring football kits, clean uniform for Monday....blah blah blah.......and work was chaotic, as we have an important proposal which has to be with a client first thing Monday, so I've had to leave it with others to finish off....

I can't wait though, and I shall be getting to Heathrow in good time to have a nice browse round the Duty Free and chill out with a leisurely breakfast..... <happy sigh>

Laterz, crepeys....smile

MrsSchadenfreude Thu 26-Sep-13 23:43:37

I bet Stropps knows this one. I have his Greatest Hits Volumes 1 and 2. blush German doesn't quite lend itself to love songs, so may I offer you this jaunty little number as well?

I listen to this and I am back in Duren in 1980 with a bad haircut and my tongue down the back of Gunter's throat, reading Wir Kinder Vom Bahnhof Zoo in my spare time.

MrsSchadenfreude Thu 26-Sep-13 23:46:04

I flew out to Germany for my German exchange. I wonder why my parents didn't just stick me on the boat train like they did for my French exchange to Colmar? ("See you in six weeks! Send us a postcard to let us know you've arrived!" I was 15...)

bigTillyMint Fri 27-Sep-13 07:04:18

Oohh, CVenvy Have a great timewine

MrsSshocksmile

Genesis, Alto! I did have an old album at one time (boyfriend at the time was into them) and I do have a bit of a soft spot for Phil!

motherinferior Fri 27-Sep-13 08:22:04

I ran for a whole 16 minutes (in segments) today. Am I alone in finding 'Laura', the voice who eggs you on, unspeakably annoying?

beachyhead Fri 27-Sep-13 08:22:04

CV, have a fantastic time....I agree, sometimes the preparation to be able to leave the children is more stressful than the relaxation that you derive from it...

My first single was 'Life's been Good to me so far' by Joe Walsh in 1978... However, I was late to vinyl buying as was heavily influenced by by brothers music taste, who is 8 years older. Therefore, the Strawbs, Clifford T Ward and Genesis featured heavily.... In fact Genesis is one of only two artists I have the entire back catalogue of grin. The other is Jackson Browne blush.

I'm off for a lovely walk today with my oldest friend and a fry up after... Lovely

bigTillyMint Fri 27-Sep-13 09:20:17

Beachy, lovely walk sounds great - it's sunny here. I guess I could do an ad hoc outing with my little lovelies, but it wouldn't be quite as relaxing as yours!

Blackduck Fri 27-Sep-13 10:34:24

I am having a complete case of the wobbles about this whole school malarkey - am I going to make the wrong choice and condemn him to a life of stacking shelves in Sainsbos? (though the way the graduate job market is that may be an aspiration too high.....)

Seriously considering having that private school convo with dp again, not that we can afford it – we’d be living in penury…..

bigTillyMint Fri 27-Sep-13 10:57:14

BD, what is it that worries you about big school? Is it the middle school system where you are? Is it a big jump in numbers of pupils?

originalpiratematerial Fri 27-Sep-13 10:58:01

motherinferior, switch to the Guardian podcasts - the bloke's voice is actually quite nice, and the music is not too bad either!

I've been running this morning - beautiful day for it! Am "working" at home today.

motherinferior Fri 27-Sep-13 10:58:12

Darling, you're not. You really aren't.

originalpiratematerial Fri 27-Sep-13 10:59:58

Ah, MrsSchadenfreude - I went to see the film of "Wir Kinder vom Bahnhof Zoo" on my first ever trip to Germany to see my penfriend, when I was 15. I thought it was fab!

motherinferior Fri 27-Sep-13 11:00:05

I can't switch now - am stuck with Laura for the next few weeks. She eases you through, in horrific way.

I think they should switch to having Indian Aunties, though. You'd be doing a marathon in a week.

originalpiratematerial Fri 27-Sep-13 11:01:00

The first single I bought was "Blinded by the Light" by Mannfred Mann <random>

I loved "Life's Been Good"! I think I have it somewhere on vinyl...

motherinferior Fri 27-Sep-13 11:02:18

Please remind me that no I should not, for a variety of reasons, go off and do a PhD on 19th century India.

originalpiratematerial Fri 27-Sep-13 11:02:37

Yes, probably best not to switch horses now, so to speak. Congrats on 16 mins of running - better have some of this now cake

I am starving after my run but the only way that cake will appear is if I bake some and I cba. Where is my inner domestic goddess? I've been waiting for nearly 30 years for her to appear...

originalpiratematerial Fri 27-Sep-13 11:03:56

I am sure that Indian Aunties are very scary. Irish Aunties are also quite intimidating in a bosom-hefting sort of way.

Blackduck Fri 27-Sep-13 11:16:17

BTM - the size for starters - the school we looked at last night is ginormous (1,700 in total compared to his current 110...), and I am scared he will get 'lost' and not be pushed and developed and all that. Maybe smaller is better? (having said that facilities are fab...) I just think ds has a touch of the geek in him and given the right environment it will blossom and he will go on to do good things, but the touch paper needs to be lit otherwise he'll just coast....

Blackduck Fri 27-Sep-13 11:20:32

See MI I would go off and do a PhD on 19th Centuary India so I am a bad person to ask...... smile

Gazes whistfully at own PhD and wonders what went wrong....

This thread is not accepting new messages.