Autumn Term At Crepey Towers

(1000 Posts)
QueenQueenie Thu 05-Sep-13 10:38:02

I did it!

bigTillyMint Thu 05-Sep-13 15:20:04

Well, I emailed the cocktail place and got this reply:

We can reserve it from 5 to 8 or from 8.15 onwards.

In any case we require a deposit of £50. It is fully refundable on your arrival but I cannot confirm reservation without it.

Also, as it is a highly requested area we require a minimum spend of £300 per/sitting.

If you are happy with these conditions, we will just require your card details, number and exp. date (NO SEC. CODE NECESSARY) and will send you confirmation.

I think it's probably best if we take our chances - they seemed to think we would be able to get a space at that time.... Maybe we should try to arrive as early as possible?wink

hattymattie Thu 05-Sep-13 15:25:28

Gosh - seems £300 sounds a lot - you can't just go and have a coke then.wink

Builders have dumped a load of tiles and mysteriously disappeared as only builders can do.

herbaceous Thu 05-Sep-13 15:55:21

Minimal, yet positive, report of the day. "For lunch I had salad, coleslaw and jelly. And, of course, cous cous."

Did you make a friend?
"Yes, Ashta."
Is that a boy or a girl?
"Girl. I mean, boy."

hattymattie Thu 05-Sep-13 16:01:49

Soo sweet. Sounds like the salad, coleslaw and Jelly were all in the same bowl with the couse couse smile

Cremolafoam Thu 05-Sep-13 16:13:50

Herbs !smileHe made a girlboygirl friend !!!
Bless

Bugger that BTM - we may be lushes but £300 is a bit shock. Cheeky buggers. Lets take our chances. Less pressure on anybody who ends up being late anyway.

motherinferior Thu 05-Sep-13 16:15:13

I am loving the Herblet's refusal to be tied down by gender binaries. (Can you tell I'm writing about this stuff at the moment?)

herbaceous Thu 05-Sep-13 16:18:52

Before we applaud the micro-herb's refusal to kowtow to gender specifics, the other day, when I said I used to work in an office, he laughed: "But ladies don't work in offices. Only mans do that."

hattymattie Thu 05-Sep-13 16:19:48

Why did I add e's to cous cous? blush.

Awaiting DS now - he's rung to say he's at the bus stop so should be back in 20 mins (if he doesn't end up in the wrong town).

Fingers crossed.

motherinferior Thu 05-Sep-13 16:19:57

Little bugger!

herbaceous Thu 05-Sep-13 16:29:02

I assure you I put him straight on that one.

On the way back from our day trip to Peppa Pig World (NB do NOT believe Google maps when it says it only takes two hours from Walthamstow to Southampton) he insisted on only passing me Peppa Pig stickers from the back, as only girls like Peppa, and only boys like George. Sigh.

QueenQueenie Thu 05-Sep-13 16:31:38

Phew Herbs. That doesn't sound too bad at all! so they do provide school lunch then... of course!

QueenQueenie Thu 05-Sep-13 16:33:54

It's an important phase herbs, all this working out your gender stuff... like most things it too will pass.

Agree re scary booking conditions. let's take our chances... it would be a tad stressful if only three of us turn up and have to drink £100 worth of cocktails in an hour and a half... on the other hand....

herbaceous Thu 05-Sep-13 16:41:54

I agree re taking our chances with cocktails. The challenge of drinking £300-worth of cocktails would have been fun in younger days, but could now require a team of paramedics on standby.

And YY to gender business. He's only just realising he's never going to be a girl - or, indeed, a baby again - so is trying to establish his place in the world. He didn't seem to notice he was in a tiny minority at Peppa Pig World yesterday, nearly all the other clientele being three-year-old girls dressed head-to-toe in pink.

Blackduck Thu 05-Sep-13 17:14:08

Ds used to announce that he was going to be a girl when he grew up ;)

bigTillyMint Thu 05-Sep-13 17:16:02

Just got another email saying it gets busier towards 6, so I will try to get there as early as poss. And anyone else who can? Happy to PM my nosmile

Herbs, love that he didn't know if it was a girl or boygrin

QueenQueenie Thu 05-Sep-13 17:19:18

It's quite poignant in its own way.. the intrusion of reality and all that. I still remember ds1 when he was about 4 taking a lime green furry handbag everywhere with him... until some street hardened 5 year old boys took the piss out of him in the library one day after which he renounced it for ever. <wipes tear from eye at recollection of how cute her hulking great manchild used to be>

herbaceous Thu 05-Sep-13 17:24:32

And the hideous dawning realisation that time doesn't ever go backwards, that you'll never be young again, that this is it, and there's no going back. Gah.

Cremolafoam Thu 05-Sep-13 18:09:55

Dunno Herbs , if I start on the cocktails at 5.30pm ill be pushing the space time continuum quite a bitgrin
It'll be Taxi for Crem at 9 o'clock shock
>--|@

bigTillyMint Thu 05-Sep-13 18:25:41

Cremo, you will have to learn the art of sipping slowly. An art I have yet to perfectgrin

Blackduck Thu 05-Sep-13 18:37:12

Sipping slowly? What is this 'sipping slowly' you speak of?grin

motherinferior Thu 05-Sep-13 18:42:28

I want a drink now.

Shall give self the boring option of Posh Tonic and fresh lime...

hattymattie Thu 05-Sep-13 18:50:35

... I should be staring longingly at the gin bottle and then crack. grin

herbaceous Thu 05-Sep-13 19:23:13

I have wine. The 5:2 starts again next week.

wilbur Thu 05-Sep-13 21:16:35

Love those boots, CV and QQ - tempting but grey or taupe? Which is more useful. Grey, taupe, taupe, grey...

Ahhh to slightly sexist mini Herbs. At about that age ds1 was devastated to hear that he wouldn't be able to have babies without assistance from some kind of female, he was really upset. Then he cheered up and nominated me (er, no), his sister (really no), and his cousin (legally yes but still a terrible idea) as babymamas for him. grin I am planning to remind him of that at some point during a teenage strop.

Re autumn term uniform - I believe Malory Towers gels wore brown and orange, does that work for those who have had their colours done? Or we could just wear CV/QQ's nice ankle boots. And just the boots. But grey or taupe, taupe or grey?

Stropperella Thu 05-Sep-13 21:39:45

Ah Herbs, that pic of the Herbling post-first day with his giant schoolbag made me go all mushy. What a cutie he is!

I had a Parsley the Lion annual, of which I was very proud.

I spent the day in Southampton hospital and have an arm full of holes and covered in graffiti to show for it. The upshot is: I am declared safe for penicillin - for the first time in 30 years! Apparently I may have had a true allergy and "grown out of it"; the symptoms the drs 30 yrs ago thought were an allergic reaction were actually the result of an infection OR penicillin has now evolved into purer stuff that I don't react to. So next time I need anti-bs they won't have to give me some rubbishy old stuff that noone else ever gets anymore because it barely works. And I don't have to carry an Epipen any more as they've declared my other "allergy" to be null and void as well. Is all fab apart from a bit of a weird feeling about the med. profs. making me feel more neurotic than perhaps was strictly necessary for the last 30 years. Anyway, onwards and upwards etc etc.

Dh sneaked off yesterday and had £250 worth of vanity dental treatment. So I after a day of jabs I felt justified in a visit to JL (you must understand that I inhabit a world far, far away from any JL in my everyday existence in the boondocks) to purchase those boots I was yearning for. see here for a spot of taupe Victoriana Dh was feeling so guilty about the dentistry he practically dragged me all the way to the shoe dept. grin

This thread is not accepting new messages.