Wearing 2nd hand clothes- do you?

(91 Posts)
missbopeep Wed 04-Sep-13 20:26:39

Often lots of suggestions on here to buy from Ebay etc and I'm just wondering...

do you feel comfortable in second hand clothes ( assuming they are of course laundered.)

I'm afraid I don't. I've bought a few things- an unworn cardi, a mac and a lightly used dress and I didn't feel 'right' in the dress.

I'd be fine with a coat that could be cleaned and is not next to my skin but I don't feel right wearing someone else's dresses, tops and certainly not trousers.

I've even stopped watching and bidding for 'new without tags' because I am never sure if they are genuinely unworn.

CointreauVersial Fri 06-Sep-13 00:12:05

Blimey, you fussy lot.

It's just fabric; once it's washed there are no traces of the previous wearer.

I buy loads from charity shops and never give it a thought; I just enjoy the fact that I've snagged a bargain and done my bit for recycling.

Lizzabadger Fri 06-Sep-13 05:57:10

Almost all my clothes are from charity shops (except underwear). Can't see the problem. I don't particularly like eating with cutlery other people have used though, unless it's been washed very thoroughly.

CoTananat Fri 06-Sep-13 06:39:02

Oh yes, I have lots of second hand things. I love eBay for clothes, and also I am constantly being passed down to, as the youngest in the family. I was saying to DH, there are some things that I don't quite have the concept of buying. Wellies! I have wellies definitely, but have I ever deliberately bought wellies? Not sure. Think they rather emerge on their own somehow.

See also: marmalade.

CorrieDale Fri 06-Sep-13 06:55:08

I love clothes - especially well made ones that cost a bomb! I'd far rather buy second hand good stuff than shoddy new. In fact, I consider myself to have failed as a shopper if I've had to buy something new! Realising that I could also wear second hand shoes was a revelation! My friend had made a remark about lending me some shoes. I shuddered and then thought 'hang on...' And before I knew it I had acquired an impressive collection of great shoes! I still draw the line at undies though.

Bunbaker Fri 06-Sep-13 07:01:47

I would love to find a decent pair of second hand jeans. I wouldn't have to worry about shrinkage.

A question to all those who are squeamish about other people's stuff. What do you do with your own? Presumably you don't eBay it?

SundaySimmons Fri 06-Sep-13 08:15:44

Once it is washed its as if you previously wore it?

Do you bring your own bed sheets and pillow cases with you when you go on holiday or stay in a hotel? How many people have dribbled on your pillowcase prior to you sleeping on it?

It's laughable that you don't think twice about hotel bed linen yet won't wear washed second hand clothes!

SundaySimmons Fri 06-Sep-13 08:19:34

I should also point out that some of the clothes you buy have been previously tried on in the shop by all sorts of people. Possibly smelly ones who have worked up a sweat whilst out shopping and then walked around the changing room for awhile before deciding not to buy and replacing it on the hanger.

You may then buy it!

What about shoes, countless amounts of people may have tried them on, people with no socks, toenail fungus, athletes foot, unwashed etc ! Do you sterilise everything you buy!

GobblersKnob Fri 06-Sep-13 08:21:01

Funny, I am more than happy to wear second hand clothes and even have a couple of second hand bras, however I take my own pillow everywhere, cannot sleep on someone elses.

Eliza22 Fri 06-Sep-13 08:45:16

I love to recycle! I don't buy anything "intimate" ie. undies/nighties/shoes/jewellery. As long as it doesn't look over worn/smell funny then I wash it first and it's good to go. I don't do this for my son (not sure why....could be that he's very economical on clothing, as it is). DH doesn't "second hand" either but men can get away with fewer clothes in their wardrobe, I think.

I have a friend who is a bit of a shopaholic and when we were the same size, she'd often give me stuff shed worn once or not at all (labels still on).

missbopeep Fri 06-Sep-13 08:53:48

some posters are imo being a bit well, silly over this- I've already explained upthread how I feel about buying clothes from shops. If you don't 'get' the issue anyway then you can't understand the difference in feeling between buying something which yes, has probably been tried on, but for seconds in a shop- and worn continuously for months or years and has a a 'history'. It's quite easy to throw it in the washer.

Re. shoes, I tend to buy a huge amount of my clothes & shoes online from J Lewis and it appears from the packaging and the state of the shoes especially that they are often completely unworn / not tried on. I do though know people- friends- who ask for a totally new pair of shoes in shops if the ones they are offered are looking a bit battered already.

This is either something you 'get' or you don't.

GobblersKnob Fri 06-Sep-13 09:20:54

But you asked 'do you feel comfortable in second hand clothes?'.

And lots of us have answered 'why yes, we do'.

You didn't ask whether we 'got' your particular 'issue' or not, hence why nobody has responded to it confused

Eliza22 Fri 06-Sep-13 10:02:21

I'm "like that" MissBo, if I buy something in a shop.

I bought some sandals before my holiday and they were in the sale but still, quite dear. I went through about 4 pairs till I had a pair of "virgin" totally I worn shoes. I don't like the idea of one of my new shoes being well walked up and down the shop and wedged on and off other's feet before I pay for new shoes. New is new.

Eliza22 Fri 06-Sep-13 10:03:04

"Virgin, totally unworn shoes"

MrsCampbellBlack Fri 06-Sep-13 18:40:46

Amber - I tend to either ebay old stuff or give it to charity. But I don't see how that's strange. Other people can wear my old stuff but I have no desire to wear their old stuff wink

I like nice stuff but would rather buy in the sales from the outnet than second hand.

JennySense Fri 06-Sep-13 21:48:09

I've bought quite a bit of stuff on Ebay [wearing a leopard print angora cardi from Monsoon today]. Once I've washed it and worn it myself a bit, it feels like I've always had it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now