Wearing 2nd hand clothes- do you?

(91 Posts)
missbopeep Wed 04-Sep-13 20:26:39

Often lots of suggestions on here to buy from Ebay etc and I'm just wondering...

do you feel comfortable in second hand clothes ( assuming they are of course laundered.)

I'm afraid I don't. I've bought a few things- an unworn cardi, a mac and a lightly used dress and I didn't feel 'right' in the dress.

I'd be fine with a coat that could be cleaned and is not next to my skin but I don't feel right wearing someone else's dresses, tops and certainly not trousers.

I've even stopped watching and bidding for 'new without tags' because I am never sure if they are genuinely unworn.

missbopeep Wed 04-Sep-13 21:00:05

Plentyofpubes when I said bed bugs I was meaning the microspcopic bugs- dust mites etc.

OiVaVoi Wed 04-Sep-13 21:00:26

I can sleep anywhere and wear anything. In fact I prefer second hand clothes, especially vintage. I buy lots from Etsy. I like the fact that something is 'pre loved' and has some history behind it, as kitschy as that sounds...

Oh right, I know no way of eliminating those, even in your own home.

chocolatemartini Wed 04-Sep-13 21:09:21

What tweet said! New clothes may have been returned and are almost certain to have been tried on by different people. I don't see the difference really. I wear about 50% second hand mostly from eBay.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

I can't do it, my mum dressed me in charity shop gear as a kid and even though I know that people get lovely things these days the memories make my skin crawl like an itchy wooly jumper. It's a shame too because ebay is fab for things.

sarahtigh Wed 04-Sep-13 21:19:21

new without tags just means that tag has been removed maybe from a gift when they did not wish receipient to know price, also a lot of new without tags on ebay are overruns of stock last seasons stock etc but the manufactire cut tags/labels to prevent them being returned to stores for refund, they sell surplus stock to other people so it can still be legitimately called boden M&S or whatever but boden return promises do not apply as your contract is not with boden but the seller of the surplus etc stock

i would not buy second hand underwear tights/socks or shoes but would buy coats skirts dresses etc

LumpySpacePrincessOhMyGlob Wed 04-Sep-13 21:20:51

I wear 90 % second hand.

I used to work in a clothes store and if you had seen the amount of people trying on stuff on hot, sweaty days. grin There is no such thing as new, trust me.

Seriously, it's a piece of cloth.

yellowballoons Wed 04-Sep-13 21:22:06

Yes. My sister goes out to work. I have been a SAHM. 2 out of 3 clothes that I wear used to be hers. Thanks sis!

Yes. Doesn't bother me in the least as long as it's had a wash.

yellowballoons Wed 04-Sep-13 21:23:25

I wash them first. After that, I have a brand new wardrobe.

GobblersKnob Wed 04-Sep-13 21:25:46

I wear loads of second hand, ebay, vantage shops, charity shops, I quite like it that clothes have a history, love second hand jewellery too for the same reason.

Shizzy Wed 04-Sep-13 21:26:44

I don't see the problem. 'New' clothes have most probably been tried on by someone else in the shop so they've been worn by someone else too, haven't they?

HitTheNorth Wed 04-Sep-13 21:45:18

I have bought 2nd hand clothes from eBay, both for myself and for my ds. I never thought to wash them before wearing tbh, as they had obviously been laundered by the seller. I was getting a bit over-anxious about germs at one point, so I'm glad to say that this thread has made me realise I definitely don't have that problem any more!

FoundAChopinLizt Wed 04-Sep-13 21:51:44

About half of my wardrobe is second hand, I like the variety in a second hand shop, like a mini dept store with wonky pricing. The thrill of the chase. I find real shops quite depressing with all the identical things in different sizes. Also I love that the money is hopefully going to help people somewhere, rather than exploit low paid people somewhere. It's green, too to reuse clothes and redonate when I've had enough of them. I love charity shops and second hand stuff.

Can you tell?grin

harbinger Wed 04-Sep-13 21:55:54

I wonder why no second hand/vintage in Spain, Umlauf?

No charity shops either? Is this because 'charity begins at home' and everything goes through the family?

Umlauf Wed 04-Sep-13 22:02:03

I dint know, I can't work it out! There are emmaus' for furniture but its really rubbish, and nothing else. Maybe it just does goes through families, I don't know what to do with all the stuff I'm to going to wear again!

joanofarchitrave Wed 04-Sep-13 22:02:42

Nearly always second hand, including bras and swimwear though I do buy new pants - and socks/tights too come to think of it though most of my socks were nicked from dh. I don't bother washing them first as I'm a terrible laundress, unless it smells too much of Febreze. I do buy second hand shoes but have stopped buying them on ebay because I have weird feet and I can pretty much guarantee that shoes won't fit unless I've tried them on.

When I was a lot skinter I could only have afforded Primark or second hand anyway, and I've got snobbish ethical concerns about fast fashion, though I got some stuff for ds from supermarkets when I was short of time. Now that I have more money, I would still struggle to spend £70 or whatever on a single garment - that's most of my spending per month. Having said that, I think that buying second hand things, esp from charity shops, drains money from the high street and makes us all more likely to buy more clothes, making an unsustainable lifestyle more standard, so I don't feel smug about it. It's a balance.

I buy used only on ebay because I assume that most of the BNWithoutorWithT stuff must be stolen; i hope that the markup on second hand stuff is too small to attract serious criminal business, but I try to check to see whether the seller is selling plausible things overall (like, a group of clothes that a child has grown out of).

Xiaoxiong Wed 04-Sep-13 22:03:31

I love second hand stuff since I'm a pretty average size 12 and there's always loads in my size.

I don't see how you can ever guarantee that you're wearing something no one else ever has, for the reasons pointed out above - returns, and people trying stuff on in store. I knew one woman who used to buy new, wear stuff a couple of times and then return it with the tags still in. I'm sure they just put it back out on the shop floor.

There's "second hand" stuff for sale on ebay and FB that's had a lot less wear than that!

I can't afford to buy new unless I shop in Primark and Asda (and I refuse to shop in Primark), so a lot of my stuff is from charity shops.

CanadianJohn Wed 04-Sep-13 22:11:39

I can't see the difference, myself. After an item has been thru the washer, it is not "new" anymore.

In hospital, I doubt the gown they give you will be new; who knows what disease the previous user might have had.

afromom Wed 04-Sep-13 22:13:00

I only wear second hand if its been passed on from someone else I know, but even then only very rarely. I prefer new stuff.

I also hate the idea of sleeping in hotel beds and always take a towel and pillow cases, sheet and duvet cover with meconfusedI'm weird I know! It drives my mum crazy when we go away with them as she can't understand it!

I love second hand, vintage, eBay, charity shops, even the odd skip blush

I wash everything so it smells like home and then after that baptism, it is mine and mine alone.

Have no weird feelings about anything, although a shearling gilet took a long while to belong to me, even after dry cleaning it still smelt a little bit 'woolly'. Doused in perfume, it is now mine.

I love old furniture, linens that have seen a life before they come to me, old china, inherited jewellery, especially second hand books with inscriptions.

Pretty much everything I wear (and for that matter, that DD wears) is second-hand.

It's all been washed at the charity shop, and I wash it when I get it home anyway. I can't afford new stuff.

I wouldn't wear second-hand underwear or earrings, but other than that, no issues.

fossil971 Wed 04-Sep-13 22:16:45

Why would you not? I guess if you have a particular issue that's up to you, but waste not want not. It's other human beings just like you that have worn the clothes, not toxic space aliens. Not underwear but T shirts, skirts etc anything else. I also do wash or clean everything.

I think it's kind of friendly to think that someone else had something before you and passed it on, TBH.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now