Posh shorts for a winter wedding - where do I start?

(50 Posts)
babysaurus Mon 02-Sep-13 18:55:52

Pretty informal friends wedding in mid November, registry office then pub. Thought some smart shorts with a loose-ish top with either a boat or cowl neck would work. Am a size 16 with reasonable legs but unfortunately an apple shape. Where would be good to start looking, feel a bit out of touch!

BackforGood Mon 02-Sep-13 19:01:31

Shorts in November ??? Where are you, the Carribean ?

Personally, I can't put 'shorts' and 'wedding' in the same sentence (well, I can literally, but you know what I mean wink), however informal it is said to be.

babysaurus Mon 02-Sep-13 19:05:58

Smart shorts with tights, think Toast have done similar in the past but I can't quite stretch to £90ish a pair!

I'm fatter than you and I don't think shorts on an apple shape are a good look for a wedding (just in case you thought it was just cos you're a 16 grin)

Shorts are hard enough to wear when you're chubby - never mind trying to do them glam enough for an (informal) wedding.

Onesleeptillwembley Mon 02-Sep-13 19:10:12

Not shorts for a wedding! No! Really, no, you just cant wear shorts to s wedding. Not even a size 8 teenage model should be doing that. And not on a 16 apple shape (that's almost me, btw).

babysaurus Mon 02-Sep-13 19:10:20

Thanks but I was actually asking if anyone knew of anywhere that would be good to start looking in.

The bride is wearing jeans. With a nice top, I imagine, but jeans all the same.

SundaySimmons Mon 02-Sep-13 19:12:04

Another no to the shorts.

All I get is an image of culottes. And that isn't good.

Kezztrel Mon 02-Sep-13 19:21:58

There are lots of smarter shorts around right now. Topshop have some moth print ones which I adore. Start with Asos though, they have a good range of high to low end brands so you can get an idea of what's out there. Lots of culottes around atm! I like the idea of brocade type ones, smart tailored material but not too smart for the type of wedding it is. Again have seen these in Topshop.

The only person who can rock shorts at a wedding.

babysaurus Mon 02-Sep-13 19:24:34

Thanks Kezztrel!
I had a peek in topshop today but it was only a small branch so not much choice. Will get Googling!

Onesleeptillwembley Mon 02-Sep-13 19:25:01

Sorry, I think the junkie looks awful, and inappropriate.

sassytheFIRST Mon 02-Sep-13 19:25:59

To the naysayers, I've done shorts for a summer wedding - black shorts, jade green cropped jacket, cream top and heels - looked great! Need great pins and lots of confidence tho grin

Monsoon might be a good place to start. Or some of the cheaper labels that tend to be in dept stores - kaliko etc.

MrsCampbellBlack Mon 02-Sep-13 19:26:08

I just think you're looking a bit too early. Lots of winter shorts will hit the shops soon.

LillyNotOfTheValley Mon 02-Sep-13 19:27:50

Well perhaps high waist shorts would do with a nice round collar blouse tucked inside them and a brightly colored belt to create a nice waistline (and matching shoes/clutch bag)?

I kind of like those two: www.reiss.com/eu/womens/shorts/

PharaohHound Mon 02-Sep-13 19:33:08

Jilly Cooper fans...

Didn't Daisy Mcloed wear velvet Knickerbockers to Rupert and Taggie's wedding? shorts, knickerbockers, same difference...

MrsCampbellBlack Mon 02-Sep-13 19:37:21

She did and with them a jacket with roses on it. Drew 'blewed' some money on her outfit.

babysaurus Mon 02-Sep-13 19:41:06

Thanks Sassy, I don't think its bizarre at all and glad to see I'm not the only

babysaurus Mon 02-Sep-13 19:45:17

The grey silk Reiss ones are along the right lines, I reckon

Seriously though OP, I think shorts could look great - maybe a sparkly top though? Bit of beading?

babysaurus Mon 02-Sep-13 19:47:00

If it wasn't for the price...

babysaurus Mon 02-Sep-13 19:48:02

Thanks Amber, that's why I'm looking now!

TSSDNCOP Mon 02-Sep-13 19:48:16

My initial thought was FC or Ted, but neither came up trumps.

I like the Reiss ones though.

babysaurus Mon 02-Sep-13 19:49:47

Just seen the Kate Moss link - if only!

LadyMilfordHaven Mon 02-Sep-13 19:49:56

NO NO NO

and i love shorts

trixymalixy Mon 02-Sep-13 19:50:50

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now