New Year in Scotland, what clothes do we need?

(13 Posts)
unicornmary Mon 02-Sep-13 08:51:52

Spending New Year in the Highlands with friends - what clothes do we need? We live in SE so assume we will need better winter clothing.

Can anyone suggest a clothing list for me and DC aged 7 and just 2? I want to look nice as well as be warm. DC will just want to be warm! We are on a fairly modest budget for clothes.

JassyRadlett Mon 02-Sep-13 08:57:51

I'd say layers, and good outdoor wear. I've spent parts of winter in Austria a few times and a good coat/jacket (like the ones from an outdoor shop) will get you halfway there. Thermals and waterproof boots for walls and playing outside. Otherwise I'd say your normal clothes will be just fine.

There are usually some good bargains on eg North Face stuff on eBay?

JohnSnowsTie Mon 02-Sep-13 09:04:51

I've been to Scotland every year for the past 10 years at various times of year (usually winter) and I'm always disappointed by how NOT child it is! I always take loads of cosy layers hoping to get snuggly and I never end up needing them.

daimbardiva Mon 02-Sep-13 09:46:57

Come prepared for anything. I live in the Highlands and last New Year it was warm but v wet and windy and the year before that it was -10 and snowing...! You just don't know what you're going to get, and it can change very quickly. Whereabouts are you going?

VioletGoesVintage Mon 02-Sep-13 11:27:02

H&M do reasonably priced thermal layers for children. They've kept mine warm on Scottish beaches in the snow and in Edinburgh at Christmas time. One year when we forgot them, my DS wore tights under his trousers, which worked almost as well as long johns.

PoP, and other Scandinavian brands, do pricier versions.

If you buy H&M online make sure you order well in advance as the lead in times can be ridiculous.

KristinaM Mon 02-Sep-13 11:59:20

It's more likely to be wet and windy rather than dry and cold/snowy.

Down clothing that is sold for the US /Scandinavian countries is very expensive and pretty useless in the wet,so don't waste your money

It really depends on what you are doing and where you are going. A week at a country house hotel in Inverness needs different clothes from a week hillwalking or skiing

Shesparkles Mon 02-Sep-13 12:03:29

Go for layers. When you holiday in Scotland at any time of year, you need to have clothes for all 4 seasons!

Belindaearl2 Mon 02-Sep-13 21:10:53

Snow was stacked all over the Uk last year. December can be unpredictable anywhere here. My folks live in Aberdeenshire & have had one white Xmas in the past 5 years. 1woolly jumper, 1waterproof jacket or coat (large enough to wear woolly below), wellies for Kids, boots for grown ups. A sledge to amuse the kids. You're going Up North & not Narnia FFS

Belindaearl2 Mon 02-Sep-13 21:13:11

& couple of thick pairs of socks & pyjamas grin

Belindaearl2 Mon 02-Sep-13 21:14:53

If you're going somewhere like Aviemore, Tesco & H&M do ranges of cheaper skiwear (closer to the season)

santamarianovella Mon 02-Sep-13 21:24:46

yes to down coat and thermals,it can get really windy,wool coats are pointless in the highlands .

Sleepyfergus Mon 02-Sep-13 21:45:22

I would say lots of layers and waterproofs. More likely to be wet and a bit miserable than pretty snow. Sorry!

Def wellies for the kids. We have spotty otters (brand name) all in ones for our girls as they can run about daft in them plus stay warm and waterproof. You can pick them up not too badly priced on eBay.

Sleepyfergus Mon 02-Sep-13 21:46:04

Ooh, also TK Maxx have great priced ski wear/outdoor wear.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now