Following on from wardrobe culling/frugal threads - how many clothes?

(8 Posts)
Justonemorecardi Mon 02-Sep-13 08:31:39

Right I've done the wardrobe cull and feel much more in control, now I plan to shop so I have a wardrobe of clothes I actually wear. Is anyone else doing this? How many items / outfits do you think you need? And how did you work out the number? Thanks..

Justonemorecardi Mon 02-Sep-13 13:29:33

Anyone?

heavenlydevils Mon 02-Sep-13 15:33:44

I haven't even got to the wardrobe full stage yet (that's on my to do list for when kids are back at school so I can try things on properly!) but I'd also be very interested in a few tips for restocking wardrobe (with things I will wear!)

heavenlydevils Mon 02-Sep-13 15:37:57

*cull - oops

SilverSixpence Mon 02-Sep-13 15:39:47

I need to look at the wardrobe cull thread, is there a link? I want to get down to a reasonable wardrobe - work, casual and evening, maybe 5-6 outfits for each. Does that sound reasonable?

GraduallyGoingInsane Mon 02-Sep-13 15:50:48

In terms of workwear I have just over a weeks' worth - 3 jackets (one is old and for emergency wear), 3 dresses, 2 skirts, 4 blouses. 2 work cardigans in cashmere. 3 pairs of heels, 2 pairs of flats.

In terms of casual wear I have 3 pairs of jeans, 2 pairs of shorts, 3-4 casual dresses, 3-4 casual skirts, way too many tops, 3-4 cardigans, 2 thick jumpers, 2 hoodies and 3-4 thin cotton jumpers.

I then have 3 summery formal/wedding type dresses and 2 winter formal dresses. I have 3 casual blazers, one summery and two wintery. I have a good pair of nude heels and a good pair of black heels, plus some wedges.

Shoe wise I have winter leather boots, snow boots, ugg boots and ankle boots. I have converse and superga pumps. I have ballet pumps in tan, black, navy and red. I have flat sandals and flip flops.

I have my black leather work handbag, 2 tan casual handbags, a big and a small. I have 3 clutch bags in black, gold and tan. I have a beach bag and a Longchamp le pilage fold away bag.

I have one thick winter coat, one lightweight winter coat and a rain coat. Multiple scarves.

Add to this gym wear, underwear and pjs. I also have ski wear.

I go for quality stuff that all coordinates rather than lots of less high quality stuff.

I think 5 pairs of jeans is plenty - for me that would ideally be:
dark skinnies
mid wash skinnies
grey skinnies or black
a pair I can roll up in the summer (fairly light)
a dark 'dressier' pair for wearing with heels, maybe a narrow bootcut (gasp!)

wendybird77 Mon 02-Sep-13 22:18:10

Oh, I've just done this. I culled pretty much everything I owned and have started fresh. I now have 5 pairs of jeans, 3 dressier pairs of trousers, one pair of black thick leggings and 4 skirts. I've got 3 pairs of leggings for under skirts etc and various tights which I never wear, but keep just in case I do need them. I also have 2 tunics and a summery dress which can all be layered for colder weather. 2 pairs of shorts and a pair of cropped skinnys for summer. For tops I've mostly got nice plain t-shirts which can be layered, a couple of 'had to have' tops and various cardis, jumpers, and 2 blazers. Crucially pretty much everything can be worn together. I've gone for better quality, but simple clothes that will hopefully last for a while. I'm currently trying to accumulate some more scarves and shoes to pull it all together and hide the fact that I have a very simple and boring wardrobe that I don't think too much about (or won't once I've actually got it all together!).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now