Beauty are we fooling ourselves?

(29 Posts)
Fairyliz Sun 01-Sep-13 12:54:00

I am in my 50s and have been a beauty junkie for over 40 years! During that time I must have spent thousands of pounds on hundreds of products for hair, face and body, ranging from the very cheap to very expensive.
However if you met me you would just see an ordinary looking woman who looks her age. I dont look gorgeous or particularly young for my age. In fact what I look like is very similar to my mum at my age and she has spent very little on beauty products.

So at the end of the day is it all down to genes and the products are a waste of time? What do you think?

Ledkr Mon 02-Sep-13 13:11:22

I'm ashamed to say that my skin was my main priority for stopping smoking so I agree they should make more of it.

lottieandmia Mon 02-Sep-13 13:21:38

I don't agree that the entire beauty industry is a con. There are some treatments that really do make a difference to how you age. But it is about finding a therapist and/ or a range of products that you trust. There certainly are people in beauty who are only in it to make money and you have to avoid them and know who is talking BS. This can be difficult. And the bottom line is that nothing that stop the aging process altogether.

TallulahBetty Mon 02-Sep-13 14:16:34

I seriously believe it's down to genes. My nan is 90 but could pass for 70. My mum is 55 but looks early 40s. And I am 29 but constantly get ID'ed wink . Just lucky genes. Of course, not smoking and a usually healthy diet helps a lot too.

Flo56 Mon 02-Sep-13 14:50:42

I'm also in my fifties and I think the beauty industry is a massive scam run by liars and charlatans. My skin is in good condition but I put that mainly down to the fact that (more due to luck than good judgement) I never got into smoking or sunbathing.
I'm not saying don't look after your skin, I just don't believe in these ludicrously expensive, pseudo-scientific products. At the moment I'm using wheatgerm oil on my face every evening, along with an olive oil day cream and eye cream, all from Holland and Barrett. I also use a sun screen every day. My body moisturiser is a bottle of almond oil from the supermarket. My skin is a lot drier than it used to be but, so far, I'm pretty wrinkle free. However I'm starting to get that saggy, jowly look which is just as ageing. Whatever you do, it will get you eventually!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now