Operation Renovation - aka The Christmas Countdown

(998 Posts)
HelgatheHairy Sun 01-Sep-13 07:31:00

It's 115 days to Christmas Eve!

You can use this thread exactly like you were using the previous thread to keep track of what you're doing, have lists, ask advice etc. As its about renovation rather than strictly beauty, nothing is off limits so beauty, clothes, exercise, healthy eating.

So here we go!

vvviola Mon 30-Sep-13 21:30:46

70isnot.... Hmmm. Like you I'm not a smoker or really a drinker (2 glasses of wine in the last week and that's a 'heavy week' shock). I'm not sure giving up caffeine the month all my assignments are due would be the best plan (for me or those lucky enough to have to put up with me).

But chocolate I can do. It won't be easy. I'm a total chocoholic especially after having to give it up for over a year when I had to give up dairy because of DD2's allergies.

So, chocolate of any sort it is.

After I finish the chocolate muffin I just bought for my lunch blush

Dilidali Mon 30-Sep-13 22:34:19

bigkidsdidit enjoy potty training! Tis not naice but the first time my genius did all in the loo as opposed to half way up stairs it felt like I won mother of the year award. Ehhh, fond memories!
helga I like the necklace! And it has a nice story behind it smile it's a treasure smile

letsdothis good luck with your new job smile you'll be too excited/busy/shattered to attack the cupboards. I find it really easy (and miss it if I don't do it first thing) to have my hot water lemon and vitamins. I make a coffee, a lemon drink and then jump in the shower. Get dressed, sip the coffee whilst I check diary, set reminders, write shopping/to do lists, by then the lemon is still hot, but I can take the vitamins with it. I have a long commute and we have breakfast together at work while we plan the day.

Stopctober, huh? 70, I am working on it ;)

lucys I saw today something called 'caviar' nail varnish. Made me think of you. Like hundreds and thousands. I can't stand nail varnish on fingernails, I use a glass file (absolutely brilliant invention, I have ishoos with sterilisig stuff) and then buff them till they shine, I cut them very short.

I am rubbish at shredding. But I shall attempt again tomorrow. Really don't like it. I want my pool. So tomorrow I am going for a swim.

No sweets for me, I bought grapes and bananas. No sugar in coffee or tea.
Has anybody weighed/measured themselves before the princessing started? Last I checked, I was 66 kg, on holiday, my dear friend fed me stupid, we drank lots of wine then somehow ended up on scales. Probably I am 64 now (don't know, haven't got scales), but I'll do it again in december. I don't mind the weight, but my thighs are awful!
I haven't done the squats in a few days, for a very good reason. Now the reason is gone, must get back to it.

Sorry for the epic post.

Dilidali Mon 30-Sep-13 22:37:43

vvv try dark chocolate, I hate it, maybe this way you'll find it easier? How are the chicken 'pops' like my DD called it?

vvviola Tue 01-Oct-13 07:23:39

Dilidali, I'm an equal opportunity chocoholic grin dark chocolate is equally yummy. My happiest day in the past 18 months was when I discovered a brand that did dark chocolate rum & raisin that had no dairy in it whatsoever grin

DD1 is great. Itch is totally gone. I'm now desperately trying to figure out if all her spots are crusted over yet so we can go out tomorrow. I think they are, but I'm not 100% sure so not sure what to do. Both DC at home all day tomorrow without DH to run occasional interference could make for a very long day!

HelgatheHairy Tue 01-Oct-13 07:30:09

85 days to go

lucysmam Tue 01-Oct-13 08:37:27

Good morning smile

Only just making a start on my morning routine, have kids at home as teachers on strike today. I was going to nip them into town but I think someone's cloned either my or dp's debit card & there's only enough left to cover the rent that we forgot yesterday confused and todays bills. Looks like someone's been shopping at the co-op, paid for by us hmm Just waiting for dp's break so I can ring & check he hasn't been spending there before I ring the bank. not the day I had planned sad

Ah well, will crack on with house princessing & strip the sofa/chair for a wash & hoover any rogue cobwebs from the corners of the living room along with a general clean.

dilidali grin I have been eyeing up those nail caviar things funnily enough! Was going to get my nail art stuff out at some point and have a play about (haven't had it out properly in ages since my shaky & sore wrists meant I couldn't work as a nail tech sad )

Good luck for your new job Letsdothis, hope today goes well smile

JemimaPuddle Tue 01-Oct-13 08:46:36

Morning all. Not sure where the last few days have gone.

Just about to do morning routine, had a terrible nights sleep and I'm working tonight & tomorrow night so don't think I'll achieve much.
I started smoking again a little while ago after 4 years not smoking so I need to stop. I'm trying to research vaping & ecigarettes but it all seems very complicated. Anyone know anything about them?

lucysmam Tue 01-Oct-13 09:02:00

Jemima my dp's mum has one from Savers! (ecig that is) ....think it was £1.99.....I have no idea if it's any good but it didn't taste of anything apart from a bit antisepticy-menthol so I'd pay more than the couple of quid she did if it was me in the hopes it'd taste better than that (I tried it out of curiosity grin ).

There's a stand in our local shopping centre that sells them too....they'd probably explain how they work.

I think they're fascinating blowing out 'smoke' with no smoke iyswim grin

HelgatheHairy Tue 01-Oct-13 09:45:20

No no no to nail caviar thing! I have a lovely one, nude/mushroom base then nude/gold/ brown beads. It looked FANTASTIC - for 5 minutes until I knocked one of the beads off and then it just started looking messy! I left it on for a day and more and more beads came off. When I actually tried to remove it though it seemed like it had welded to my nail and took ages to get off.

I'm not a fan!

lucysmam Tue 01-Oct-13 09:52:30

oh sad helga I would have tried it out too....doesn't sound very practical though if bits drop off it. wonder if there'd be a way to seal it?

I said the same thing 70isaLimit - I gave up smoking 10 years ago and drink about 3 or 4 units of alcohol a month. I don't seem to have any major vices to give up for October! Maybe I should grow a moustache for Movember instead wink

I am currently sitting with my knee elevated and a bag of frozen peas on it. I think I've done in a ligament running, I can't put any weight on it and it is swollen. That is what you get for trying to be healthy!

Dilidali I weigh myself twice a month anyway, I have done since I started losing weight. I do it now to make sure that I'm maintaining. I weighed 61.5kg at the start of September and weigh 60kg now. I don't really want to go below 60kg.

Glad to hear DD1 is getting better vvviola

lucysmam Tue 01-Oct-13 16:45:58

ouch Jemima sad that sounds painful!

Any of you using La Roche products? Am off for a nosey at them in boots tomorrow....without the headache girls.....any recommendations?

Orangeworkclock Tue 01-Oct-13 17:01:22

Hello MNer's
I started a thread at the weekend asking for help with myself. I basically had had enough of how down I feel over my appearance, so came on here & posted for advice.
Got lot's of lovely ladies offering me support and loads of great tips. Anyway, I got invited over here by Helga & I so here I am.
Am now going to catch up with the thread or as much of it as I can possibly read whilst sitting here feeding baby

Orangeworkclock Tue 01-Oct-13 17:03:03

& I so here I am blush tired!

Dilidali Tue 01-Oct-13 17:42:45

Hello MrsKubrik and welcome to the clubsmile smile smile

lucysmam Tue 01-Oct-13 18:07:21

Hi Orange smile nice to have a new 'face'!

Well, we went to town....dp's overtime will pay the council tax so I used that twenty quid to take the girls for a mooch. Lunch was a slightly less fancy than expected Greggs sausage roll and bun washed down with a froot shoot grin blush (was going to take them to Cosmo) but never mind....they both got witches hats & tights, and slippers! And I got more new socks (so did dp).

I looked at some dresses too shock They were only a fiver but would look good with some black boots and chunky tights so may go back at some point soon. I also eyed up christmas earrings...six pairs two quid blush

Right, off in the shower....back later on smile

HelgatheHairy Tue 01-Oct-13 18:23:19

welcome Orange

Jump right in when you want. I'll join you in feeling tired. DD has refused to nap for longer than 20 mins at a time today and has turned into a boob monster so it's been a looong day.

lucysmam if you could seal it, it might be better. Just give it a go anyway, it might have been the way I applied it.

HelgatheHairy Tue 01-Oct-13 18:24:56

MAINTENANCE POST

We are on post number 992! so I'm starting a second thread!! Keep it up ladies, we already have hung in there longer than last year!

IsThatTrue Tue 01-Oct-13 18:42:51

I've been keeping up with my routines and trying to remember to drink lots of water because it makes a massive difference to my skin.

I need to buy some new mascara as my very old one has nearly run out. (I have never before finished a tube of mascara, just lobbed then because they're too old.

I've been mindful of what I'm wearing and making sure I wear an outfit not just clothes.

This thread keeps me on track.

Fingers crossed by Xmas I will be another stone lighter, have a few more accessories (easy Xmas presents for people) and be looking like I've been getting my beauty sleep even of in reality ds2 won't let me have any sleep

lucysmam Tue 01-Oct-13 20:40:46

I'm back....shower was interesting hmm Dd2 got in & demanded to sit on my knee under the spray while I made up a random Abney & Teal story....then dd1 jumped in to play I Can cook confused confused So....I have washed, dried and straightened hair, exfoliated and defuzzed, moisturised and spot sticked and that's it. Mini pamper night tomorrow....dp can sort the girls for an hour.

Letsdothis how was your first day? smile

Helga I'll pick up a Primark or somewhere equally cheapy version of the nail caviar stuff to have a play. I think I still have some acrylic upstairs....may be a bit past its best but may work to seal it. Or maybe a good few coats of top coat. we'll see hmm

Dilidali I have a couple of glass files, even noticed that Poundworld has them too but no idea of quality. Never thought to sterilise tbh, I just keep my feet one separate to my hands one.

(I can't remember who else posted & can't scroll on app!!)

<packs beauty suitcase bag to move to new thread> grin

Dilidali Tue 01-Oct-13 22:59:36

Hello!
Did lots of exercise today, I will HURT tomorrow big time. But, I got a back/neck massage as well, I have two knots in serious need of detangling.
Run out of lemons, so I'll have my vitamins in a minute, I bought some this evening.
Bath, defuzzed properly, moisturised, got my funny jelly socks on. On to put eye and face cream.

The thought of the week is my DH. Like, really give him some thought. We're fine, but you know, when you live with someone for donkeys, there is a degree of taking for granted. Or just assuming. Or just getting used to that person.

lucy, never thought to buy separate files for feet and hands. smile

ControlGeek Wed 02-Oct-13 08:06:23

New thread here (I nearly lost you!)

lucysmam Sun 06-Oct-13 17:09:27

bumping for LaFata smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now