Ok I have to ask about dandruff

(13 Posts)
cleofatra Fri 30-Aug-13 12:35:02

My hair is a mess. I have had intractable dandruff for years and just cant get rid of it. I get big chunky flakes and often can feel waxy areas on my scalp, which are scratched or flake off. (yuck).
I have tried - all commercial shampoos - tgel, selsun, head and shoulders etc which do nothing at all and nizoral which worked the first few times I used it but doesnt seem to now.

Any suggestions? sad

Allinafankle Germany Fri 30-Aug-13 17:49:31

Are you sure it's dandruff? I have scalp psoriasis which can appear similar and have special yucky stuff from the GP to help.
Otherwise try some shampoos which don't contain SLS - there are a couple of other threads about that at the moment.
I too find I need to vary my shampoo regularly or they lose their effectiveness. My bathroom looks like a branch of Boots!

theresmoretolife Fri 30-Aug-13 17:57:54

Ask gp for help- there are some things they can try, like betnovate scalp

nancydrew Fri 30-Aug-13 21:05:45

I read about Philip Kingsley dry scalp shampoo on Mumsnet. It works! It is expensive but worth it. They do deals on QVC from time to time- shampoo, conditioner and a scalp conditioner that you can apply to problem areas for about £25? Hope you get it sorted

nancydrew Fri 30-Aug-13 21:45:53

Sorry I underestimated that price, it's actually £31.50 plus postage

I have a type of dermatitis which sounds exactly like that. After years of trying everything the best I've found is LOreal Elvive anti - dandruff in a dark blue bottle with orange lid. It's brilliant and really cheap compared to Philip Kingsley.

cleofatra Fri 30-Aug-13 23:34:36

Thanks so much all smile Its so frustrating sad Will try all of the suggestions !

valiumredhead Sat 31-Aug-13 00:28:01

You need Loreal anti dandruff shampoo-dark blue bottle with orange lid, in Boots. Whether it's dandruff or fungal or whatever it'll clear it up in a week ime. Or T gel that's ok too but a bit rough on your hair.

valiumredhead Sat 31-Aug-13 00:29:01

The body shop ginger shampoo is similar to the pk one but much cheaper.

valiumredhead Sat 31-Aug-13 00:29:38

Sorry Helga beat me to it!grin

NotAQueef Sat 31-Aug-13 00:42:13

body shop ginger shampoo. I had itchy flaky scalp earlier in the year - used it for a few weeks and it went and hasn't returned!

Pimmpom Sat 31-Aug-13 09:22:52

I have had good results from Sebamed Anti-dandruff shampoo. x

Allthingspretty Sat 31-Aug-13 10:58:28

Gp visit
Then possibly nizorelle

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now