Do you think where you shop says something about what type of person you are?

(56 Posts)
Rushyswife Thu 29-Aug-13 19:34:39

I had never considered this before really. I tend to just buy clothes I like. Although, having said that I do get 'into' certain shops if they have a range of clothes I like and buy loads and then sometimes go off then a different season.

Anyway like I said I never really considered this until a friend asked where a top of mine was from. When I said Boden she said 'Ah, should have known, you are a boden type of person?'

What exactly did she mean by that and should I be flattered/offended?

revealall Thu 29-Aug-13 23:42:53

I was going to say bollocks but then realised I had never been in "Country Casuals" despite it being of the few clothes stores in my small market town (and that I shop in equally unfashionable charity shops with impunity).
Or that I have never spent money in LK Benett but do spend in Hobbs despite them being fairly similar.

Bumblequeen Fri 30-Aug-13 10:53:30

I shop where I can afford not where I would like. People are very much judged by the clothes they wear. I judge too and imagine what a person's life is like just by their appearance.

I wear H&M, New Look, Dorothy Perkins - none of which make me stand out at all. My underwear is from M&S. I try to keep to classics so I can wear the following year. My look is terribly boring sad

I assume the following;

Mature women who shop in M&S, Whistles probably live in a detached house somewhere in the suburbs. Have a holiday home in France.

30's, 40's who shop in Reiss, All Saints, French Connection probably blow up to £400 a month on make up, nails, clothes.

Although I do not own anything remotely expensive I can spot well made clothes from a mile off especially suits. I know exactly how I would dress if I had the budget.

nomorecrumbs Fri 30-Aug-13 12:41:05

I shop mainly at New Look at Dorothy Perkins, and while on holiday recently was offered "Smoke Charlie?".

I am in my 20s with messy blonde hair shock is that really what my look says about me?

thecatfromjapan Fri 30-Aug-13 12:53:22

Lol @ where you shop/what drugs people assume you wish to purchase equations. grin

"smoke Charlie" = crack, surely?

In honesty, I wouldn't associate Dotty P's with the Crack Ho' look.*

*And I am abolutely sure that's not what you look like Ms nomorecrumbs.

To link with thread that was running earlier this week: I often think of Cos as a bit "intellectual", and its customers definitely attended parties in their twenties where cocaine was around.

missbopeep Fri 30-Aug-13 13:05:40

I don't really get this Boden is for aspiring posh people.
If I was to aspire to something it would be Viv Westwood, or designer brands not mid high street ranges.

Yes, where tou shop says something about you- ot has to. If you have hand made suits in St James, then you have the lolly- if you pay £200 for one from next or M&S then you might also have the money but prefer to spend it on something else.

Skinheadmermaid Fri 30-Aug-13 14:52:34

I shop in primark and markets because i don't have the money for anything else! I would like to shop in places like all saints and Zara. I would describe my style as a bit grungy, sexy kind of rock chick. (That sounds absolutely ridiculous written down!)
There are many shops i don't look twice at, it's just not my 'image'. I'd never ever heard of Boden before i joined mumsnet!
Just asked my bf how he would describe my style, he said 'creative and confident' which has made me chuckle.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now