I want this hat but can't afford it. Help!

(16 Posts)
Mumsnut Sat 31-Aug-13 14:21:55

We want pictures ! <<gavel>>

Glad you're sorted

rhihaf Sat 31-Aug-13 10:19:42

Forgot to say, Lilolilmanchester: I would happily hire a hat, but we are driving 5 hours to get there, then we won't have time on the Sat morning to find anywhere/thing. I'm all for hiring tho, thanks smile
And Northumberlandlass: thank you for your honesty! I only want the hat for the ceremony/driving to it bit, as everyone will be looking at us in the car and I wanted something vintage-y to tie in with our 'look' grin
Here's our car: bigdaybug.co.uk/
Mumsnut: before I went to Claire's I was pretty much going to make this with the netting I already had...

I bloody love Mumsnet!

rhihaf Sat 31-Aug-13 10:13:18

Thankyou everyone - you are amazing!
MrsPaddy - that one's a bit too frilly-frally (technical term) for me.
MarianForrester - I was very close to doing this as I already have some navy netting/veil material but then...
I popped into Claire's to get a massive donut thing for my hair (am thinking very low, side bun on opposite side of head to hat) and found this in white:
www.claires.co.uk/net-and-feather-fascinator-comb/fascinators/shop/fcp-product/14462

Have taken the flower off and the feathers, and put on an oversized navy bow. And all for 15 quid! grin

Thank you Mumsnetters, I salute you!

Mumsnut Thu 29-Aug-13 16:08:47
Onesleeptillwembley Thu 29-Aug-13 15:47:04

I was going to say charity shod. They haven't yet cottoned on that these are in again. Lovely outfit, btw.

MarianForrester Thu 29-Aug-13 15:47:01

Get a red wool felt plain pillbox hat, lots on eBay and customise it with black net and a rose.

I did this for a wedding with a cheap, slightly bashed, pillbox hat from tk maxx, and I was pleased! Especially as I am quite cack handed...

daimbardiva Thu 29-Aug-13 15:39:11

No advice, but absolutely love the dress and especially the shoes..you're going to look amazing no matter whatyyou've got on your head!!

LifeofPo Thu 29-Aug-13 14:35:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

I can't get the link to the hat you want. Can I be brave and say your dress & shoes are very full on (and amazing) I would be more inclined to get yourself to a salon and get your hair put up in style with your outfit then get some clips for your hair.

Would you consider hiring one? If you're never going to wear it again, maybe worth looking to see whether there are any hat hire places near you. (I know some people say they wouldn't want to wear a hat that has been on someone else's head but don't see the issue really, if you try one on in a shop chances are someone else has tried it too)

mrspaddy Thu 29-Aug-13 12:56:25
rhihaf Thu 29-Aug-13 12:49:42

Like this one too...
http://www.hatsnstuff.co.uk/nancy-hair-fascinator-/p280

am I the only person who thinks 100 quid on a headpiece is a bit bonkers? or should I review my millinery policy?

rhihaf Thu 29-Aug-13 12:27:04

Thanks! I spent ages worrying about buying something I'd not tried on online, but it was AMAZING when I got it - one of those dresses you put on and walk like Marilyn Monroe. Best dress I've ever bought so far... ;)

rhihaf Thu 29-Aug-13 12:25:57

I forgot to say, no monkey mini-top hats.

No advice but I absolutely love the dress!

rhihaf Thu 29-Aug-13 12:17:01

I'm wearing this dress to a wedding:
www.vivienofholloway.com/en/category/Halterneck%20Pencil%20Dress/halterneck-pencil-dress/1340/

with these shoes:
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IRREGULAR-CHOICE-CORTESAN-COMBI-WOMENS-RED-MAN-MADE-HIGH-HEELS-SHOES-SIZE-4-/390649908247

I need a hat that will stay on my head as I'm driving the bridesmaids to the ceremony (30 mins) in a vintage Beetle convertible. I want something funky but not cherries/ice creams/aeroplanes on my head and I only want to spend 40 quid max.....

I LOVE this one:
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RED-FELT-WOOL-HAT-BLACK-VEIL-FASCINATOR-VINTAGE-ASCOT-PERCHER-WEDDING-BURLESQUE-/151110171338?pt=UK_Hats&hash=item232ede3aca
but it's too pricey sad

Any suggestions please, wonderful wise MNers?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now