Denim skirts-how to wear?

(18 Posts)
AndTwoBits Tue 27-Aug-13 11:31:30

Thinking of trying a denim skirt this winter with thick tights and boots. I haven't worn one in years but I am so sick of wearing jeans every single day! I am looking or something longer than a mini but not so long I head into frumpy territory. I am a size 12 and 5'9". Has my one ny recommendations?

Marylou2 Tue 27-Aug-13 12:03:17

www.boden.co.uk/en-GB/Womens-Skirts/Denim-Skirts/WG513/Womens-Chic-Denim-Mini.html?NavGroupID=13

This? The lenghth on the 12L is 22" so not too short. I love Boden denim skirts they're well made and last for ages.

Marylou2 Tue 27-Aug-13 12:04:38

Length even!

AndTwoBits Tue 27-Aug-13 13:14:03

Marylou that is exactly hat I'm looking for, thank you!

I love denim skirts! It's all about the proportions, to me.

If you wear a straight cut mini, perhaps wear something looser fit on top - slouchy button down shirt, flowy blouse, chunky knit. I think this evens out the silhouette so that we don't look tubular. This especially applies to a pencil style skirt, and if above the knee always seems to work better in a darker wash.

I also love denim A-line, my fave is an old one from Oasis. This lies flat to the waist instead of being the traditional button/zip fly arrangement. I would actually try to avoid a front fastening skirt, I think they can frump/bunch up in this area regardless our figure.

I wear the a-line with tighter fit tops, black lace and white go really well with it as the denim is a lovely dark indigo. Anything seems to go with this skirt and I am quite sure it is the most versatile piece in my wardrobe. Jumpers, shirts, tees, etc. One thing to avoid with a knee length a-line is don't make your tops too flowy, and if the skirt is knee length keep your tops no longer than the waist or it throws things off proportionally.

I wear my shorter denim skirt with flat or low heel shoes and the longer a-line with anything (boots, heels, etc).

PrincessScrumpy Tue 27-Aug-13 13:48:22

I'm not a massive Boden fan but my denim skirt is from there and almost 5 years old (still like new and I wear it lots).

Marylou2 Tue 27-Aug-13 14:03:57

Also MCES gives 20% off Boden. Paying full price is never a good thing!

AndTwoBits Tue 27-Aug-13 14:22:58

Thanks for the tips! I have bought the longer length mini you linked to! I want to get black Chelsea boots to wear with it. Does that sound right? And I bought a grey polo neck jumper in Massimo Dutti, that would work wouldn't it? I am clueless I really am!

AndTwoBits Tue 27-Aug-13 14:23:53

I bought the washed indigo one btw..

CointreauVersial Tue 27-Aug-13 18:12:54

Perfect thread; I just bought a Gap denim skirt from the charity shop, and was wondering how to style it.

It's classic straight style, with pockets on the back, and a split, but it needs shortening. I'm thinking just on/above knee length??

FariesDoExist Tue 27-Aug-13 19:07:21

Can I ask a question too? Does a denim skirt work with mid calf length boots or would it only go with knee high boots?

MyNameIsSuz Tue 27-Aug-13 19:20:42

I just got a nice one from Dorothy Perkins, I think they have a tall range too.

Fozzleyplum Tue 27-Aug-13 23:31:12

I had exactly the same thought a week ago, and have just bought a perfect Boden one (knee length, A line with buttons down the front) from ebay.

Fozzleyplum Tue 27-Aug-13 23:31:51

Ought to add that I'm the same size and height as you!

ilikeitreal Wed 28-Aug-13 08:49:20

Hi FairiesDoExist - yes you can wear mid calf boots with denim skirts, but ideally, they need to be slim fitting to the leg, - it can look edgier and I always prefer a brown boot for day with denim or vamp it up with black for an evening look.

ushush Wed 28-Aug-13 09:01:45

Always best short. Longer denim skirts look a bit peace protester/earth mother. Good with boots too, loose cut only if you have reasonably skinny calves.

lovelychops Wed 28-Aug-13 09:19:53

Thanks for the Boden link. Have just ordered and got free delivery and 20% off thanks to the code. Never had anything Boden before, think this will become a staple!

AndTwoBits Wed 28-Aug-13 09:26:43

Would black Chelsea boots work with a denim mini and thick tights? I need a boot I can wear with skinny jeans too..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now