HOC Winters & good 'outfit-put-togetherers' HELP! I need an outfit for a wedding this Saturday!!!

(31 Posts)
SunnyUpNorth Mon 26-Aug-13 21:47:11

I have a wedding coming up this Saturday. I have put off buying an outfit as firstly I have been doing the 5:2 diet and wasnt sure what size I would be, and secondly, I had my colours done recently and wanted to wait until I had that done.

I am a SAHM to two young dcs so I am reluctant to buy a dress that I will wear this once and then never wear again. I am thinking possibly a skirt, fancy top and then a cool necklace. I figure a skirt and top would be more wearable again with different things.

I have a shopping day coming up on Thursday. Dh has booked the day off to mind the kids, I am going to the Trafford centre (I must be mad). So I will at least have a good chunk of time to try stuff on.

What I need is ideas for tops and jewellery/accessories. I'm rubbish with details like that. Maybe even a nice belt?

I would really rather but stuff that I can somehow use again in my daily life, or at least on the odd evening out.

There isn't really a strict budget but I wouldn't want to spend more than £100/£150 on the dress and top.

I'm a Jewel Winter and have spent far too much time browsing QueenCadbury's autumn/winter Pinterest boards and am now wondering if I can get away with grey and black to a summer wedding?!!

Any help appreciated. I would like to attempt some colour but am still finding my way with the whole colours thing.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

QueenCadbury Mon 26-Aug-13 21:53:03

Hi sunny. What sort of styles do you like and what size are you? How formal is the wedding?

SunnyUpNorth Mon 26-Aug-13 22:00:04

Hi both,
I'm a size 12, around 5'9. I prefer quite fitted styles like pencil skirts or quite clean lines. I don't really like high necked things and anything flowy or flouncy makes me feel like a heffalump.

Not bf, just didn't think I would get much future wear out of a dress. At least I could wear a nice top again with jeans, or change a skirt a bit with a different top and tights etc.

Skirt can be above the knee, but being tall mini style skirts can be a bit obscene on me! Quite a casual wedding, no church, not v traditional.

SunnyUpNorth Mon 26-Aug-13 22:02:47

travelin I'm not sure I'm ready for that much of one colour. I could possibly be tempted into such a colour as a skirt or a top!

Also should mention my worst part is my tummy so jersey type things might not work. Again a skirt could be more flattering or a more sucky-in type dress.

I had briefly looked at the cobalt blue wrap dressed in Baujken but wasn't sure how flattering they would be.

QueenCadbury Mon 26-Aug-13 22:08:51

I bought this top a few weeks ago but didn't keep it as was too smart for my every day sahm life. Would be lovely for a wedding though. My tummy is my worst part but was really flattering.

SunnyUpNorth Mon 26-Aug-13 22:22:57

Thanks both. I should probably also mention that I'm 33 and would normally shop more at places like Reiss, Zara etc. I had a brief look through the kettle well brochure on my colours day and found it a bit old for me - sorry travellin!

I have a personal shopper sesh in JL on thurs but more to help with the colour aspect of it. In general I find JL clothes a bit old for me too, but they have a few brands like Ted Baker, warehouse and so on which might throw something up.

I will see if I can find a link to the kind of look I am aiming for....

SunnyUpNorth Mon 26-Aug-13 22:25:31

second pic, red skirt, white top

SunnyUpNorth Mon 26-Aug-13 22:27:52

third pic: green skirt, pink top

CarolBornAMan Mon 26-Aug-13 22:31:25

good colour

I am same colour as you and this is lovely

SunnyUpNorth Mon 26-Aug-13 22:32:30

Saw you on the COS thread remus utilitarian isn't really my thing. I prefer more figure hugging. I am also not sure if I own a single patterned item! But would like to be converted on that front. Has to be high contrast for a Winter though, I think.

The skirt is figure hugging and not utilitarian - could easily be paired with a fitted skirt. Will try to find a plain one.

SunnyUpNorth Mon 26-Aug-13 22:34:18

Do like that colour Carol but I can't do high necked, prefer v or curved.

Sorry all, I feel like I'm being really awkward. It's quite tricky to convey your style in a few posts.

SunnyUpNorth Mon 26-Aug-13 22:40:34

Ok this is exactly what I would like! Love it. But not my colours I don't think (would have worn it before colour day!)

That's the sort of style ok after, classic but sexy.

SunnyUpNorth Mon 26-Aug-13 22:47:30

I have never worn red in my life either, but actually really like that one. I also have an off white silk top with black lace edging which could look really good with it.

I shall add that one to my list to check out on Thursday. Thanks Remus.

SunnyUpNorth Wed 28-Aug-13 11:20:04

Hopeful little bump!

Kezztrel Wed 28-Aug-13 12:18:04

Have you looked at ASOS Sunny? They have ALL the clothes smile

Kezztrel Wed 28-Aug-13 12:19:22

I like this lacy pencil skirt.

Please don't put black lace with red!

That first skirt Remus suggested is gorgeous - would be great with a burgundy silk top/cami.

Black lace with red could veer into tarty, but if there is just a tiny touch of black on the blouse it might work.

You're so much braver with colour than I am am, Amber. I wouldn't have thought of burgundy.

I've seen a couple of outfits on Pinterest pairing red with bright pink. Only for the brave (ie not me) but v nice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now