Is there anything that can be done for vellus white hair or am I going to end up looking like Brian Blessed??

(17 Posts)
SirRaymondClench Sun 25-Aug-13 11:14:23

I am on HRT after a hysterectomy but have always had a little facial hair.
Seems there is a fair amount of white 'downy' hair on my chin and just under my chin which seems to grow like billy-o.
I waxed it at the start of the week but it's grown back already!! sad
I know darker hair can be lasered and I will be going for that but can anything be done about this white hair to remove/reduce it on a more permanent basis and if not why has science not sorted this out yet?

SirRaymondClench Sun 25-Aug-13 14:04:15

Apparently not.

PixelAteMyFace Sun 25-Aug-13 15:41:01

With you on this one, OP. Hoping someone will come along with a solution.

I`m thinking of applying for a job as Santa this Christmas sad

poppingin1 Sun 25-Aug-13 15:43:46

I feel you OP.

I epilate my chin every few days now, not the best solution but I can't find any other options for white downy hair.

SirRaymondClench Sun 25-Aug-13 15:45:51

Pixel Sorry to hear you are also in the Santa club. I can't believe with all the women on here we are the only ones to have an issue with this.
Someone must know the answer, there must be an answer!

PixelAteMyFace Sun 25-Aug-13 16:03:57

SirRaymond - maybe all the other women with this problem don`t have time to come on Mumsnet because they spend their Sundays plucking? <strokes beard thoughtfully>

At least there are three of us now with popping.

There are sure to be some more along soon smile

SirRaymondClench Sun 25-Aug-13 16:24:33

Pixel I think you might be right.
I am astounded that with all the science and technology there is in the world, no-one has a solution to this problem.

Poppin welcome to our little club, although I'm sorry you have this problem too. It's grim isn't it?

Threading?

poppingin1 Mon 26-Aug-13 21:07:34

Ha ha! I'm happy to be accepted grin

It runs in the family so was hereditary for me. Lots of thyroid and hormone conditions run in my family too and most probably connected.

It is grim and annoying.

I want to try threading but hate the idea of having to grow it all out before getting it done

I was thinking of going to get my eyebrows threaded so maybe I could brave it out let nature take its course and then try it out on both areas.

Havingkittens Mon 26-Aug-13 21:20:51

There is a new type of treatment for fine downy hairs which I saw at a Beauty trade show last year. It's an alkaline wash treatment - have a look through this search to find out a bit about it and perhaps where you can get it done. I'm quite curious, although I have both fine and coarse hairs on my face and throat. When I am surviving on a little more than my paltry Maternity Allowance I might check it out myself.

www.google.co.uk/#fp=3fc53c54d80ea39&q=alkaline+treatment+for+downy+hair

SirRaymondClench Mon 26-Aug-13 21:26:20

Right fellow hairy-Mary's I am been doing research pretty much all day.
I know lots of people say that laser works for them but I've not uncovered great results for facial stuff (body hair seems best cleared by laser) and even worse than that - I found out it can actually make the problem worse!! shock confused
It seems that the only thing that works permanently is electrolysis.
It will take up to 18 months though going regularly but doesn't seem to be ridiculously expensive. Around £10 for 10 mins kind of thing and they can clear a lot of hair in that time so that is the way I am heading I think.
I found a hair removal forum and the comforting thing is a lot of the before pictures of these poor, brave ladies and gents and the after pics lead me to conclude that this can be fixed but it isn't an overnight fix!
Also got to find someone decently qualified and using the right techniques.

SirRaymondClench Mon 26-Aug-13 21:29:46

Havingkittens I had a series of Danne skin treatments for adult acne and they do this Akaline wash. Some of my problems started after the therapist used an Akaline wash all over my face (its like a strong hair removal cream) it not only burned my skin but made all the soft downy hair that I didn't have a problem with, all spiky and stubbly.
It basically a very strong hair removal cream and I couldn't find any evidence that it worked permanently (in spite of the witch that did that to me saying it would only take one or two goes)

Well I tried electrolysis and it didnt work for me !so now its an ever increasing bill for threading which having tried it all( burnt my skin with cream,removed a layer with waxing and gave up electrolysis )for me is a very instant fix.The problem for me is that I pluck I between so nanny McPhee is always lurking

SirRaymondClench Mon 26-Aug-13 21:55:53

Mother how long did you have treatments for? It might be worth trying a different electrolysist? (sp)

PixelAteMyFace Mon 26-Aug-13 22:56:42

I had electrolysis when I was 15 to sort out my eyebrows, which were growing too close together. I spent all my pocket money on it for a year and have never regretted it.

The hair has never grown back, but I can still see the little holes where the hairs used to grow, they look like enlarged pores . Admittedly I have to peer quite closely to see them, but they are there nonetheless!

I don't know what a large area of skin would look like after treatment. Maybe I should add that my treatment took place more than 35 years ago, so perhaps it has been perfected since?

SirRaymondClench Mon 26-Aug-13 23:07:32

Pixel I had always steered away from electrolysis because my mother had seen scarring on a friend of hers who had it.
I think pitting and scarring can still happen (but it is something to do with how it is administered) I have been on this US based hair removal forum all afternoon and saw some awful pics of a lady who was burned and had pitted marks on her upper lip after electrolysis was done badly on her.
It is definitely something to consider but from what I understand it is the only method of permanently removing hair.
It's great you're pleased with your results and they are still good 35 years on! Gives me a lot of hope.

Havingkittens Wed 28-Aug-13 22:41:31

SirRaymond, it's good to hear your feedback on the alkaline treatment. Shame, I was quite excited about it when I heard about it. Might give it a miss. I had laser hair removal and my face is better in some places than it was and worse in others. In some places I have long darker hairs where I only had blonde peach fuzz which didn't bother me before, but the dark hairs on my cheekbones are gone.

I had electrolysis when I was young. It hurt like fuck! Especially on my top lip. The holes it leaves are apparently due to the practitioner having the voltage up too high.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now