Anyone have the chanel 2.55 classic flap or re-issue?

(33 Posts)
MrsCampbellBlack Sun 25-Aug-13 08:25:53

This is purely for at some point in the future but wondered if anyone has one and why they chose the classic flap as opposed to the re-issue?

And also which colour/leather/hardware you went for?

thanks!

dirtyface Mon 26-Aug-13 18:39:42

i dont know if i dare admit it on here

oh fuck it

i have a fake one*. i would LOVE a real one though so am just lurking on the thread to get envy of people who can afford one

*(disclaimer: i bought it on ebay cheap when i didnt know about bags and how to spot fakes etc and am 95% sure it is fake )

Mominatrix Mon 26-Aug-13 15:50:38

Just re-read - what I meant by leather qualities - I meant to say characteristics! They are all fantastic quality.

A good way to get an Hermes bag less than retail is to keep an eye out for the auctions which occur twice a year by Artcurial and Gros & delettrez - they have rare bags (which fetch for higher than retail), current bags (also fetch higher than retail), but also some bags which are less (sometimes much less) than retail. The ones which are much less than retail are vintage kellys in box - these can be brought to the store and "spa'ed" back into fantastic condition, and also unpopular styles such as the piano, drag and many smaller bags.

Mominatrix Mon 26-Aug-13 15:43:00

First and foremost, the quality of the leather is superb. If you get a chance, stop by one of their stores and try one of their bags. There are a variety of leathers (they have a leather swatch book and if you ask, they would bring it out for you) with different qualities, all amazing. My ultimate favourite leather is barenia - an oil soaked saddle leather which has a hand-feel like silk, and ages beautifully (like a well used baseball glove). I also love box leather - their classic which develps a beautiful patina with time.

Take a good look at the construction - most of their bags are very simple, but many are hand stitched, and this really shows.

After this, stop by the other big names and then you will see the difference.

Hermes canvas bags start at the same price as a Chanel bag (if not cheaper), and you can get an all leather bag starting at £1400 or so (the Picotin). At about £2000, you can get an all leather Garden Party or an Evelyn, which are fantastic bags - practical and timeless. The most expensive bags will be the Kellys, Birkins, and Constances.

MrsCampbellBlack Mon 26-Aug-13 14:49:04

Now that's interesting. What do you think makes the hermes bags so different?

But they're more around the £5k mark aren't they?

Mominatrix Mon 26-Aug-13 14:47:31

My Mum lays claim to all my unwanted bags - her payback for me doing the same when I was a teenager and at Uni grin. Good memory regarding the birkins - after starting to buy Hermes bags, it was difficult to purchase other bags as the difference in quality is astounding, plus I'm too lazy to change bags frequently.

MrsCampbellBlack Mon 26-Aug-13 12:35:32

Mominatrix - you have one lucky mum! But I'm sure I remember from other threads that you have birkins too, don't you?

Mominatrix Mon 26-Aug-13 12:13:57

Agree that the light colours are a problem - I also have a Chanel bag in beige and I chose caviar as I thought that it would wear better. Nope - it just seems to attract dirt and scuffs which are impossible to get off. This is another bag I have given to Mum as it was driving me nuts.

PeriPathetic Mon 26-Aug-13 12:03:05

No, I wouldn't have a light lamb skin. Even my red caviar gets colour transfer almost instantly. Cleans right off though.

I am the total opposite of 'extrapetite' and would think a 226 or medium would be a perfect size for you.

cardamomginger Mon 26-Aug-13 08:59:06

MrsCB I can't believe you're not thinking of buying a bench instead!!!! grin

MrsCampbellBlack Mon 26-Aug-13 08:33:58

Have been looking at extrapetite's blog and she's a similar height to me and I like the look of the medium on her. School mum acquaintance just got the maxi and it looks fab on her but would be too big for me.

The lambskin seems to be very delicate in the lighter colours which I wouldn't go for anyway.

Ruby - well its going to take me a year to save for it anyway wink

PeriPathetic Mon 26-Aug-13 08:27:58

The maxi is wonderful, but plays hell with your shoulder after a while. V heavy.

blue2711 Mon 26-Aug-13 08:19:05

I suspected that Peri, just trying to console myself!

Actually, I think it's the maxi I 'need' next...

PeriPathetic Mon 26-Aug-13 08:16:53

Oh, and lamb skin is not that fragile, either, and it feels divine.

rubyflipper Mon 26-Aug-13 08:12:56

You know someone is going to spoil this thread by sniping that they could feed a family for a year on the price of a handbag [ grin]

MrsCampbellBlack Mon 26-Aug-13 08:12:42

Blue - I thought you had one smile.

I do like the look of both, am going to be in London soon so will go and have a look at both.

Thanks for all the replies, its very helpful.

PeriPathetic Mon 26-Aug-13 08:09:11

I've got both (and all leathers) and prefer the reissue. But it can be tricky to fasten sometimes. The 227 is the most practical size for me.
The jumbo flap holds more, but not by much. The maxi, however, is almost perfect!

blue2711 Mon 26-Aug-13 08:08:03

Just imagining I win the lottery, I'd get a jumbo re-issue in lambskin with silver hardware next time...

blue2711 Mon 26-Aug-13 08:06:58

Sorry I mean mine is caviar leather. The lambskin is more expensive.

blue2711 Mon 26-Aug-13 08:04:06

Hi MrsCB, hope you're well. You can see mine on Pinterest; it's the small, classic lamb skin with gold hardware. Was about £1650 in 2009. I couldn't bear to wait any longer with prices just escalating as I watched! Still shudder about spending that much though. I like the classic CC clasp and was torn between gold and silver as I like and wear both. I would have liked the smoother leather but it was even more expensive and apparently is more fragile to wear and tear. Mine still looks pristine. It is small but then so am I. I don't use it much at the minute because my DC are tiny but like it as a daytime bag if I'm not with them (and can travel very light). I do like it as a nighttime bag but only with certain outfits as it can almost look too lady who lunches if you know what I mean. Like it better with edgier things like leather leggings or worn more casually.

All in all, I do love it but it sadly hasn't satisfied my desire for another Chanel (in my dreams). Hope that essay is useful and hope you get one soon!

MrsCampbellBlack Mon 26-Aug-13 07:09:47

Oh the burgundy re-issue sounds gorgeous. I do love the classic flap in caviar and I am small so don't want an enormous bag.

Have been looking on the purse forum a lot - thanks for all your comments.

goforthejobular Mon 26-Aug-13 00:37:38

Double flap, classic flap, jumbo flap....

grin I am a child.

Specialbrew Mon 26-Aug-13 00:03:24

I have the re-issue in burgundy with (dark) silver hardware. I bought it over the classic flap because I preferred the lock at the time. 2013 prices are about £2950 for a 226 (sort of between the medium and jumbo classic flap).

I may buy another Chanel at some stage, and I'll probably go for a jumbo classic flap in caviar black leather with silver hardware. I think the medium classic flap would be too small for everyday use and I don't need an evening bag.

Check out the Purse Forum for lots of pictures of women using their Chanel bags. I spent awhile on there researching what I wanted before getting mine.

Amber I looked at the Boy bag recently too, they are lovely. Having said that when it came to choosing, I fell in love with the luxury of the re-issue; the leather interior, the double flap in burgundy etc

borraxohastaelalmanacer Sun 25-Aug-13 19:32:54

I have the classic flap simply because I prefer the CC lock. I am an unashamed brand whore and make no apologies!

Mominatrix Sun 25-Aug-13 18:26:24

I have both, and prefer the re-issue - purchased years ago (over 10 years ago for the classic flap) so have no idea what the current prices are. However, I paid (back then!) £500 pounds for the classic flap and about £1500 for the re-issue (in 2007). I gave my mum the classic and kept the re-issue. I prefer a more low profile bag, and like the re-issue as there is no obvious logo. I also prefer the more casual nature of the leather, and my re-issue was the jumbo size so more practical (my classic flap was the small size, so not really used much).

My re-issue is in the metallic black with silver hardware - l can wear it cross body or over the shoulder. Can wear up or down, and wilst a classic, it doesn't scream LOGO!!!!

My classic flap was in black caviar with silver hardware. Nice bag, but not really used. Fore evenings I usually now prefer clutches.

MrsCampbellBlack Sun 25-Aug-13 17:44:44

Well, I think its about £2.7k at the moment for the medium but the prices do keep going up and up and up

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now