MN Vogue - Vol 19

(1001 Posts)
shopafrolic Fri 23-Aug-13 17:50:04

All welcome to talk style, beauty, fashion etc. Continuing on from here

MarshaBrady Fri 23-Aug-13 22:00:24

Ah! And Foxy so sorry to hear about your fall. You poor thing. I hope you're in bed resting and feel better tomorrow. I remember about the big yoga week, hope you're ok.

shopafrolic Fri 23-Aug-13 22:03:20

this Mulberry *Mig*
Not sure i can bear to be parted even if I just look at it and stroke it.....

Hi Mary - welcome! I'm a big fan of a colour clash - I feel a bit of a fraud when I go to work and have to do matchy matchy!

On colours, I have had my colours done, but I don't stick to it religiously, though I do recognise some colours are really bad on me (step forward cream, mustard, sea green, salmon) and avoid them. Basically most brights look good on me, more muted colours generally don't. I think colour/style analysis is as prescriptive as you make it.

MarshaBrady Fri 23-Aug-13 22:05:18

Oh Shop that is very hard to part with!

mignonette Fri 23-Aug-13 22:05:46

Hi Mary Nice to meet you. Are you on Pinterest? if not I highly recommend it as a way of organising your closet and potential purchases. Let us know your Pin name if yes. QueenCadubury's colour combination board is a great way of incorporating more offbeat colours into your style. I love it and am also a clashy/offbeat girl. I'm not a 'classic' dresser although i do have classic items. A dress agency is a brilliant way of buying high quality stuff. I use them and like getting better for less.

Glad to have another contributer to the thread. We are friendly and don't snark.

LinusDKD Fri 23-Aug-13 22:06:16

dry I quite like GofT as well but am multitasking whilst watching it i.e. surfing the net.

marytheowl welcome!

mignonette Fri 23-Aug-13 22:09:59

Shop WHY? That is a forever bag. Are you absolutely sure? I wouldn't part with that because even if it is just a 'funeral' bag (grim example), it would earn its keep. Do you have a daughter who will one day weep with despair when she hears about the Mulberry bag her Mother sold (laying it on thick I am)......I say that because I gratefully received quite a few amazing vintage bags and clothes from my Mother and Grandmother. Gucci Flora bags, a classic red/green ribbon stripe Gucci clutch and loafers, My Grandmothers 1940-50's sundresses (totally Loren)....

libertychick Fri 23-Aug-13 22:12:57

V lovely bag shop
Welcome Mary.

Welcome Mary smile

LinusDKD Fri 23-Aug-13 22:18:14

That is a lovely bag shop!

Are you sure that the 'no black' rule also applies to accessories? Looking at your pins that bag works with a lot of your colours, no?

shopafrolic Fri 23-Aug-13 22:18:48

Meant to say Liberty that's a lovely skirt

shopafrolic Fri 23-Aug-13 22:19:34

Ok ok - I do love it so will keep for now. Thanks all. And Mig no DD here so D had better marry well grin

shopafrolic Fri 23-Aug-13 22:19:45

DS!!!

mignonette Fri 23-Aug-13 22:21:51

I'm a fan of black tights w/ white dresses/skirts and black bags w/ pale colours so I think that bag is very adaptable. I often weave scarves around bag handles so they are covered. That helps lift a bag. I also tie scarves onto handles to trail behind but prefer the covered handle effect. A white or cream silk scarf wrapped or attached to that bag would look very soignee Shop.

mignonette Fri 23-Aug-13 22:23:16

I'm sure there'll be a DIL or a niece to pass that onto if you decide to Shop! Don't do what I did and give away a limited edition pair of Converse to a son's GF only for them to separate two weeks later!

McNally Fri 23-Aug-13 22:23:32

Hello Mary and congrats on the revamp. Four stone weight loss is very impressive!

Decameron Fri 23-Aug-13 22:24:12

Hi everyone. Haven't been on here in a while.

Foxy, sorry about your back, hope you will be ok for yoga next week. I'm glad you found your boots on sale.

Shop, don't sell the bag! I have sold a few bags (two Louis Vuitton epi leather, not the logo ones) when DD1 was a baby and I am so sorry now. I was about to sell a Prada bag recently but the A&W ladies made me see sense.

I am curious as to what colour season I am and do think it is worth having done but have yet to take the plunge. I'm definitely not a winter but have spent too much on my wardrobe to get rid of the black.

Carrie, the Aigle Cuckmere is a great coat, I will be using mine for the third winter now. It's true to size, I think John Lewis stocked them last year. As I said on pinterest, it is not waterproof but it keeps me dry on the walk to school.

Hi Mary!

Novice, congratulations on the house.

Anni I saw your Hudson purchases on Pin, looks good.

We are looking to buy a house at the moment too so I decided I'd better sort out my spending. At least for this month, I'll work on my AW list after that. smile I did get this for £4.95 (the delivery charge) this week though.

One, you are a modern Snow White indeed, really lovely.

Enjoy the rest of your holidays, Dry and QueenC.

Have fun tomorrow, those who are meeting up.

MaryTheOwl Fri 23-Aug-13 22:24:50

Thanks for the welcome!

Marsha, I bought them second-hand so not exact links but, the bag is a bit like this (except nowhere near as expensive as I'm a tight-arse):

Way more expensive bag than mine

This is really similar to the skirt I bought as mine is an unknown brand! However, must say that after looking these links up I'm even more pleased withy bargain purchases!

Skirt

Let's see if I can link at the first attempt.

McNally Fri 23-Aug-13 22:24:55

PS. Have fun at the MU tomorrow all going!

MaryTheOwl Fri 23-Aug-13 22:26:27

So I can link but not write in sentences: *with my, obviously.

Hi everyone, welcome Mary (although I would prefer Owly as nn? grin)

Foxy so sorry to hear about your fall sad. I really hope you feel better soon.

Novice - fab news about the house, how exciting! Have a lovely time at CP (especially in the hot tub wink)

Re black, I am definitely veering away from it in the last year or two, I'm not sure how much influence you lot have had and how aware I am that it is harder to wear as I age smile but I still love black jeans and skirts and my Marant Monty jacket, though that is threaded through with colour and metallics so doesn't really count...what I so know though Shop, is that the colours Ive seen you in really look fab, it will be interesting to see the conclusion re black tomorrow smile.

We had a gorgeous day at the top of a huge mountain today. DH and DC's built a campfire and cooked sausages and steaks then built a dam in the river, went exploring with walkie-talkies while I read my book in the sun - 30 deg again but with a lovely breeze. We are packing up ready for our move down South tomorrow. Have to say I am looking forward to some relaxing poolside action, wifi and hopefully some decent shops grin. Santa how are you getting on? Mig and other experts, please remind me what I should be grabbing in French pharmacies grin. I have already bought some Caudalie, open to recommendations though!

shopafrolic Fri 23-Aug-13 22:28:28

Waves to Decam - was thinking of you today as I pulled my Goldsigns out of the wardrobe!

Shop love the bag, you must keep it.
Mig I had a whole wardrobe of good quality work suits in dark colours I kept or funerals after I had my DCs....after 12 years and no funerals lucky they all went to a dress agency. It was a sad day.....a few still remain in the graveyard wardrobe though grin
Hello Mary do stay, you know is all anyway...might as well eh?
Amber outfit 29 (Paige jeans,pink t shirt) is so me ( even though I go on and on about dresses which I adore) most of the time I'm dressed more casually.....if you ever see some jeans like those let me know (the Goldsign ones sold out).

shopafrolic Fri 23-Aug-13 22:29:50

Thanks Sleep blush will miss you tomorrow

shopafrolic Fri 23-Aug-13 22:31:04

Right - off to bed. See some of you fashionistas tomorrow xx

This thread is not accepting new messages.