I want to buy a satchel for work. What size and can you recommend one?

(12 Posts)
chicaguapa Thu 22-Aug-13 20:27:08

I'm looking to treat myself to a satchel as I often go to external meetings and would like one to keep all my papers in. I don't want a briefcase per se as I'm not that important and I think a satchel says 'sassy girl about town' rather than 'high powered business woman'.

Everything I own is brown so I do like the idea of getting a coloured or black one, but the worn tan ones look so nice. Also I'm not sure whether to get a 14" or 15" one. I won't be putting a laptop in it but definitely A4 folders.

Any tips or recommendations please? I'd definitely like a handle and maybe magnetic poppers if possible. I'd probably spend up to £150 as I can pretend it's a birthday present but I'd like it to be a good quality one and one that will last. Thanks.

howcomes Thu 22-Aug-13 20:41:08

Scaramangashop do some very nice ones if you look online and have great customer service, you can also source their slight seconds on eBay.

buttercrumble Thu 22-Aug-13 20:56:03

The leather satchel company are brilliant. We have just bought our forth one in our house, you can choose whatever combination you like

chicaguapa Thu 22-Aug-13 20:59:09

Thanks. I've now found both.

What colour(s) have you got?

buttercrumble Thu 22-Aug-13 21:05:26

I have the ox blood red , dd1 has London tan and cloud cream tall boy , dd2 has cloud cream and fuchsia petal pink tall boy and dd3 has baby pink and cloud cream combo. All are embossed and fantastic quality smile

buttercrumble Thu 22-Aug-13 21:08:42

Sorry meant to say they will also send any free swatches that you want, we asked for nearly every colour before we decided which we wanted

JennySense Thu 22-Aug-13 21:09:41

I have a raspberry elephant print Zatchel - go for one big enough to fit a laptop smile

JennySense Thu 22-Aug-13 21:10:58
MrsJamin Thu 22-Aug-13 21:13:47

I do community work and have a 14" satchel from Bohemia (was a 7 day sale on hushhush). Zatchels and the Cambridge company also have good reviews. I can happily get A4 sized things in my bag but not a lever arch file. I get so many compliments on it and I like the smart with personality look. I have it in green and it goes with virtually everything, brightens any outfit up.

chicaguapa Thu 22-Aug-13 21:24:48

Thanks. Glad that I'm not the only one and I'm of the time. wink

I'm tempted by the Leather Satchel Co one in Loch blue. It's not very adventurous as a colour though, but a little bit different to black. I can't work out how to get the price with a handle though, but will keep looking.

Very envy that people can afford these as school bags though. DD likes them too but it's too much to spend at the moment. Maybe if she's desperate she can ask for one for her birthday, but she'll have to start school first and might change her mind.

buttercrumble Thu 22-Aug-13 22:00:52

The loch blue looks lovely. We have the bolt on handles where the top of the bag is still rounded that costs £8 , or you can have the brief case handle where they flatten the top of the bag and that costs £12 smile

chicaguapa Fri 23-Aug-13 08:08:49

There doesn't seem to be much between the different makes in terms of cost, so I think it'll come down to whoever does the colour I like best.

The briefcase handle looks good to me because I like the idea of the detachable strap too. The flat top looks ok.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now