How am i supposed to keep my hair straight for longer than a second ??

(19 Posts)
CrazyHamsterdisguisedasatree Thu 22-Aug-13 17:38:46

I had my hair cut in to a 'bob' style recently & no matter what I try I can't keep it straight confused it just flicks out in all different directions hmm

I use straightners & have tried pretty much every serum on the market but none work !
I'm about ready to shave it all off

GrimmaTheNome Thu 22-Aug-13 17:41:31

Grow it out and then get a cut that suits your hair rather than trying to make your hair do something unnatural for it.

Tigermax Thu 22-Aug-13 18:12:59

Agree with Grimma! Can you not encourage your waves/curls and have a more messy do? Think SJP with her bob a few years ago (lots of years ago...?) Save you a lot of hassle!

CrazyHamsterdisguisedasatree Thu 22-Aug-13 18:32:12

Even when its long it still flicks out at the bottom in several directions hmm
It does suit me .
My hair isn't curly or wavy its just the flicky bits

valiumredhead Thu 22-Aug-13 19:01:43

Is it the cut? Sounds like you need a cut that suits your hair.

blobandsnail Thu 22-Aug-13 19:04:13

May seem like a silly suggestion. But is your hair properly dry when you straighten it? And are your straighteners hot enough?

Mine are getting on a bit and when I got distracted before doing my hair the other day and left them on warming up for about 20 minutes I found my hair stayed perfect all day. Whereas usually it does what yours seems to. I tried it again on the following days and the same result each time.

I have really thick hair and find if my hairs not properly dry before I straighten it it tends to go all over the place throughout the day as it seems to dry some more.

valiumredhead Thu 22-Aug-13 19:04:20

If it's just sticky out then sounds like it's not a good enough cut and hadn't been shaped properly. You've tried products etc?

snowlie Thu 22-Aug-13 19:14:18

I blow dry mine into shape and then use GHD's to smooth it down....I don't use any products. I have wavy hair and this keeps it dead straight even in humidity, as long as it doesn't get wet.

Fraxinus Thu 22-Aug-13 19:17:27

Get a cut with layers that makes the most of Flicky bits.

ImATotJeSuisUneTot Thu 22-Aug-13 19:30:22

I spray mine with salt spray, it weighs the ends down, and stops the stupid, bizarre, one side only, farrah fawcett flick.

Helentres Thu 22-Aug-13 19:42:41

My hair is really thick and wild and has been since I was little. It's the same no matter what type of cut or style i have. However, I've found that buying the dearer shampoo and conditioners (lots of conditioner) and a really good pair of straighteners does brilliantly. Although I still have to dart out the rain in case it frizzes up again, but I'm sure quite a lot of women do this smile

valiumredhead Thu 22-Aug-13 20:04:03

Tigi blow out balm is excellent too, as is frizz ease on the ends.

CrazyHamsterdisguisedasatree Thu 22-Aug-13 23:02:58

If only it was that easy to nip back to the hairdressers.

Ima That's exactly what mine dies , where could I get salt spray from ?

Helen I have tried every shampoo on the market & none make any difference I also have good straightners smile

Valium I haven't tried that one so I'll have to get some while in town next , Thanks

oneandnomore Thu 22-Aug-13 23:31:56

I have the same problem. I have a cut as soon as my hair gets a bit flick y and the hairdresser goes through it with thinning scissors which really helps.
I use the Aussie frizz shampoo and conditioner. Also, I sometimes wash hair on an evening and let it dry naturally then just run the straighteners through in a morning.

AuntySib Mon 26-Aug-13 23:44:12

Paul Mitchell Heat Sea spray. Think you can only get it from hairdressers. Nothing kept my hair straight for more than 5 minutes till i tried it. Wonder Product!!

AuntySib Mon 26-Aug-13 23:44:20

Paul Mitchell Heat Sea spray. Think you can only get it from hairdressers. Nothing kept my hair straight for more than 5 minutes till i tried it. Wonder Product!!

Costypop Mon 26-Aug-13 23:55:11

My hair is very wild and curly, but its a pain to have it curly for work as I find it a lot of maintance.
I use John freddia 3day straight spray on damp hair. Blow dry with a roller brush so its sort of in a style, then I use the hottest straighteners I can get 230• and its lovely and straight for days, with a very go over in the mornings.

Could you be washing your hair too much? If its dry at the ends then it tends not to do what you want to do, there are also hair dry/finishing lessons you can do, your normal hairdresser may be able to show you

StepAwayFromTheEcclesCakes Tue 27-Aug-13 20:52:01

have you read the brazilian keratin treatment threads? I swear by this stuff.

AgathaF Tue 27-Aug-13 22:25:42

I've just put the Amazon brazilian keratin thingy on this morning. Was ok, much easier than I had anticipated. I'm really not looking forward to not being able to wash it for 3 days as I usually wash my hair each day, but I can't wait to see what it looks like on Friday morning when i can wash it. Will let you know how successful it is.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now