Shampoo without sodium lauryl sulphates

(64 Posts)
missbopeep Thu 22-Aug-13 14:07:57

Recommendations?

I've seen L'Oreal advertised online but can't find them in my small-ish Boots.

Any other choices and not costing ££££s?

BeCool Thu 22-Aug-13 20:25:35

I think the Green People shampoo is quite simply the best shampoo I've ever used.

It is pricey though.

A friend of mine always uses these Faith In Nature

Body shop rainforest range is SLS and paraben free, lovely on your hair too.

cerealqueen Thu 22-Aug-13 20:59:53

I use the L'Oreal one from Sainsburys, it smells a bit chemical though.

yellowballonns I use non SLS shampoo because I dye my hair and since I've been using it, the dye adheres to grey hair better and stays put longer!

L'Oreal Everriche is great, smells gorgeous, and come in variants for fine and unruly hair. Current favourite shampoo, you can get it in Sainsburys.

snowlie Fri 23-Aug-13 08:29:12

I use Naked - didn't know they we're making shower gel, usually wash using their shampoos. SLS makes my skin itch.

StepAwayFromTheEcclesCakes Fri 23-Aug-13 14:07:24

poppy did you realise that it has sodium chloride in it which is what you are supposed to avoid after keratin treatment?

Shitrus Fri 23-Aug-13 14:14:14

Naked Bodycare has free delivery this weekend.

PoppyAmex Fri 23-Aug-13 14:41:33

Yes, Step.

That shampoo has neither sodium chlorite or sulphates.

Daffodilly Fri 23-Aug-13 14:58:15

Which Green People shampoo do you use BeCool? Is it the Aloe one?

Ledkr Fri 23-Aug-13 15:33:55

Tell me a out it!!
I want to "not get old-er"

lazysleepymummy Fri 23-Aug-13 15:54:38

I've got hair down to my waist and have used Avalon organics for years. Always get complemented on my hair grin They tend to be on a 3 for 2 deal www.biggreensmile.com/promotions/3-for-2-avalon-organics-hair-care.aspx?promotion=355 so pretty good price. My favourite is the peppermint shampoo/conditioner. Smells amazing and tingly on scalp smile

If SLS makes your hair fall out and most shampoos contain it why aren't there more bald women around?

Callmedreckly Fri 23-Aug-13 22:06:46

Arghhh Shitrus You just cost me £9! grin

TerribleTantrums Fri 23-Aug-13 22:13:49

I use Aveda, which I have to admit is expensive, but you only need to use a small amount so it lasts for ages.

Jason is good (but not the volumising one which turned my hair into straw). The only Naked one that I've tried is also the volumising one, and it didn't volumise at all.

Yes to Carrots (or Yes to Cucumber/Tomatoes etc) are reasonably widely available and, while I haven't tried the shampoo, the shower gel in the range is excellent so I would assume the shampoo is good too.

RubyrooUK Fri 23-Aug-13 22:30:15

Are any non-SLS ones good for flaky scalps? Both DH and I get super sensitive scalps and have found only Head & Shoulders stops the pain and itching. I have tried far more expensive products but with no success - all of them leave me with a sore scalp after a few weeks.

heritagewarrior Fri 23-Aug-13 22:42:55

I'm with BeCool. I use Green People shampoo (sensitive skin one) and all my other products come from them too.....

marking place so I can read when not so tired. lush shampoo bars are pretty chemical free btw

Jins Fri 23-Aug-13 22:47:21

I leapt at this thread because I've moved to SLS free shampoos as well but I'm disappointed that many of the suggestions are full of silicones

I'll have to stick with my rainforest shampoo for a while but I'm getting quite tired of the scent

AmberLeaf Fri 23-Aug-13 23:04:00

Lush shampoo bars do contain SLS though, they did take it out for a while but the feedback from customers was that they wanted shampoo that had suds!

AKissIsNotAContract that is what I was going to ask too.

Rummikub Fri 23-Aug-13 23:15:06

I just checked my tesco shampoo. It doesn't have sodium lauryl sulphate but does have sodium laureth sulphate. Are they as bad as each other? I've tried turning to google but getting opposing view points. Some say its not as harsh and therefore used in baby shampoo.

delasi Fri 23-Aug-13 23:21:02

I use Body Shop Rainforest, Tresemme Naturals. Boots used to be sulphates and silicone free in their almond & coconut stuff - have a look at cheap own brands, eg Morrison's, Superdrug etc, a lot directed at dry hair are surprisingly sulphate and silicone free.

I do CG so I co-wash and just the odd low poo now and then so apologies if these suggestions end up being mainly conditioners!

This reminds me though, if you go sulphate free it might be good to silicone free too because silicone are hard to wash out and sulphates are usually needed to do that, so if you have silicone but no sulphate you might end up with a lot of product build up.

EugenesAxe Fri 23-Aug-13 23:23:55

I'm another Green People appreciator - I use rejuvenating shampoo and conditioner. Their shower gel is also amazing; foams up as much as nasty ones on my scourer. You only need very small quantities.

Natural Collection.com is a good website for all this stuff and you get reward points that translate into money off vouchers. I've used Faith in Nature; it's good but doesn't leave you as sleek as Green People. Think it's cheaper though.

Showtime Fri 23-Aug-13 23:32:25

I'm presently collecting recipes for home-made shampoos, need more research but sure it will be worthwhile.

AKissIsNotAContract that is what I was going to ask too.

I think it's just a con to encourage people to buy more expensive shampoo. Ironic really that L'oreal is one of the brands that people are suggesting when it is well known that they test on animals. I'll stick to my SLS one that hasn't been squirted in rabbits eyes thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now