Is it wrong to even flick through a Lands End catalogue?

(92 Posts)
moondog Tue 20-Aug-13 15:09:49

Just checking.
Or is it only worn by v fit but ancient well off elderly Americans on a world tour.
(Before anyone starts, there is no apostrophe. They got rid. Too complicated for clientele apparently.)

TerribleTantrums Tue 20-Aug-13 15:14:03

They still have apostrophe on the website, and it's not at all wrong to look through it. Admittedly a lot of it is frumpy but it's good for plain basics, great for winter coats and reasonable for kids' stuff. It doesn't fall apart, shrink or bobble. But if you buy chinos from them, I will disown you.

LynetteScavo Tue 20-Aug-13 15:14:21

It only worn by v fit but ancient well off elderly Americans on a world tour.

Flick through if you like, though. Just don't buy anything. grin

moondog Tue 20-Aug-13 15:18:55

Thank you for reassurance.
I may have faltered briefly during post lunch slump when confronted by pic. of Indonesian Teal Everyday Bungee Ballet Shoe.
(Just kidding!!)

On roughly same note, are cotton cardigans every anything but dispiritingly shapeless?

moondog Tue 20-Aug-13 15:20:22

Ah quite right regarding apostrophe. I recall now they are using it in slightly odd fashion but acknowledge this.

tethersend Tue 20-Aug-13 15:24:20

Au Contraire, mon amie wink

I have a very lovely quality Breton top from there.

Sizing enormous though.

<how are you btw?>

moondog Tue 20-Aug-13 15:26:33

Oh gosh, Tether throwing sartorial spanner in the works!
(To paraphrase Elizabeth 1st, 'My lady, we had quite forgot the frock')

Not bad thanks.
Revising for upcoming exam so in that sort of moony phase where you rise from desk, shuffle about, make tea, stare through window, flick through catalogue, sigh, shuffle again....

Leverette Tue 20-Aug-13 15:40:36

The fine gauge supima cardis are fab and last forever.

moondog Tue 20-Aug-13 15:51:04

LE merchandise? hmm

missbopeep Tue 20-Aug-13 16:32:15

yes -you will hung, drawn and quartered.

missbopeep Tue 20-Aug-13 16:33:50

They've been tackled over the missing apostrophe a while back ( in the press) and gave some excuseexplanation which didn't quite add up - but they are American.

GeekLove Tue 20-Aug-13 16:41:21

Their bikinis look nice if you are after something you can actually go swimming/watersports in.

helzapoppin2 Tue 20-Aug-13 16:48:32

They fill (for me) that gap called everyday wear. They aren't exciting, but they are good for good quality basics. This summer I've chosen them over Marks because Marks just sells some quite weird clothes when they should be at least getting the basics right. But then, I am ancient-ish!

Marylou2 Tue 20-Aug-13 17:48:00

I have a fabulous grey down filled parka from Lands End. Seriously it would keep you warm and dry in a minus 20 snowstorm. I shudder at some of their other stuff though.

MrsDeVere Tue 20-Aug-13 17:55:08

I can't believe I am going to say this.
It goes against all that I hold dear.
It hurts.
I actually hurts

I.need.outdoor.stuff.

There! I've said it!

I need fleeces and anoraks and shoes for walking on grass and stones.

I am out of my depth.

What is this Lands End that you speak of?

Do they sell such garments?

motherinferior Tue 20-Aug-13 17:59:18

I have one of their down filled coats which is terrific; a pair of skinny jeans recommended by highly stylish beauty journalist friend; and a black merino dress which never lets me down...

hardtostayfocused Tue 20-Aug-13 18:01:52

Seasalt for cotton cardigans maybe?

helzapoppin2 Tue 20-Aug-13 18:09:54

MrsDeVere, they sell all of those things. I've lately returned from living in the US of A and the temperature extremes are, well, more extreme so Lands End, being American makes clothes that work in cold climates.

TerribleTantrums Tue 20-Aug-13 18:10:10

Their coats are very good MrsDV, here. I have a squall parka which is perfect for an Irish winter, it's warm, waterproof and comfortable (although clearly not stylish).

I don't know much about their shoes, I tend to wear Ecco boots or trainers.

They usually have a wide range of fleeces, but it might still be too early in the season for that yet.

TerribleTantrums Tue 20-Aug-13 18:15:27

Actually, they do have some fleeces in. If you search for 'Polartec' it bring them up.

helzapoppin2 Tue 20-Aug-13 18:33:56

I've got the Polartec Aircore 200 parka in bright red and love it!
Wore it last autumn with a big scarf. Soooo practical!

MrsDeVere Tue 20-Aug-13 18:38:48

You are very kind to guide me.
I bloody hate casual outdoorsy stuff.

But I now have a caravan on the suffolk coast (hurray). So I have to be sensible don't I?

Skinny jeans and flip flops with a Jimi Hendrix teeshirt will not see me through Autumn will they? <hopeful>

Elsiequadrille Tue 20-Aug-13 18:43:21

The down coats are always recommended. I've never bought anything from them, the clothing looks a little old fashioned.

moondog Tue 20-Aug-13 18:50:04

Seasalt?
<Seasalt?>

I have one of their sweatshirts which I wear when I know I will not be amongst people who know me.

lurkingaround Tue 20-Aug-13 18:51:24

IMO a catalogue is a catalogue and MUST be flicked thru. I love love catalogues. I look at any old shite if it's in a catalogue. Adore them. Must be the mindlessness of it or summat.

So yes I have <twitching eye> flicked thru the Lands End catalogue.
They have a primaloft jacket on sale that I dallied with. Looks v practical. But I was saved from wrangling of taste conscience; it's OOS in my size.
This one.

Yes MrsdeV, sorry, but yes, you are gonna have to get sensible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now