I'm after a waterproof, bum covering, hard wearing yet stylish autumn and winter coat!

(86 Posts)
CollectorofCookbooks Sun 18-Aug-13 07:35:17

For a reasonable price. Say, under £150.

I'd quite like a hood as optional due to buggy pushing.

They don't exist, do they?

FIFIBEBE Sun 18-Aug-13 15:56:36

Autograph have a nice one think it comes in green or navy. sadly not on M&S website. Similar to Rainy Day but perhaps a few more zips. Think it is £69.

foolssilver Sun 18-Aug-13 17:13:31

Would you get a parka? If so Whistles have just brought out a gorgeous waxed one called Jourdan. Can't link on phone. Don't know how waterproof it would be but I'm sure bring waxed it would be water resistant at least

FaddyPeony Sun 18-Aug-13 17:17:17

beachy didrikson cathlyn for the downpours. Love it. Warm too.

CollectorofCookbooks Sun 18-Aug-13 18:21:12

Don't know why but that Whistles parka just doesn't speak to me! A couple of the LLBean ones appeal to me, and I'll check out tk maxx too, I used to get a fair about from tere but haven't lately.

I was hoping a nice cheery coat would brighten up the winter days too, as I traipse around. I'm possibly deluded on this front - why are there so many dirge like coloured coats out there?!

eleflump Sun 18-Aug-13 18:26:02

There was a huge thread on this last year - you would probably find it if you search for warm waterproof coat.

I ended up buying a Merrell Haven that was mentioned on there and it is the best coat that I have ever had - it is waterproof and really warm smile

eleflump Sun 18-Aug-13 18:27:08

Just seen your last post - I think the Didriksen (not sure of spelling!) ones come in brighter colours? Also some of the LandsEnd ones.

eleflump Sun 18-Aug-13 18:31:00

This one is nice and bright??

http://www.completeoutdoors.co.uk/Didriksons-Nora-Ladies-Waterproof-Parka-Raspberry

IndigoBarbie Sun 18-Aug-13 19:46:01

I invested in a didrikson Elly (now same style called Naomi) a few years back, and it's been worn LOTs, the hood stays up in the beating down rain, and it keeps me very very dry. The only thing about it is, I am 5'5" and the front comes just above my knees, so sometimes in severe winds and rain, my trousers get a bit wet above the knee. Other than that, it's my perfect autumn and winter coat. I won't need to buy another one. Except, I love them and wish I could actually afford another one for this year....but hey!
www.didriksons.com/
www.lawskirkcudbright.co.uk/index.php?option=com_opencart&view=home&Itemid=13

Tweet2tweet Sun 18-Aug-13 19:58:31

I have the Seasalt coat, had to size up though as very small if you are above average height. I would not wear in autumn or winter without a fleece underneath though as no way would be warm enough.
I had a Boden rainy day mac but sold on ebay. They are not waterproof, not even close!
Bought the long mac from this site but quite thin so not the warmest but completely waterproof.
I'm still on the hunt for a waterproof coat with a substantial hood that doesn't blow off/ make my head look like a raisin.......

muchchocolate Sun 18-Aug-13 21:01:14

watching with interest, I think seasalt do one similar to the kellifray but that also has some padding, it's called northstar, anyone tried it?

MetellaInCulinaBibit Sun 18-Aug-13 21:36:36

I got one of the waterproof padded parkas from Lands End last year - its brilliant

Foosyerdoos Sun 18-Aug-13 22:18:34

I got this from Matalan for £35.00, not sure how water resistant it will be but I am really chuffed with it.
www.matalan.co.uk/womens/shop-by-category/coats-and-jackets/s2531592/waxed-parka-jacket

MrsMcGregor Sun 18-Aug-13 22:28:20

I got this Aigle jacket last year. It has been brilliant - warm and waterproof with detachable hood.

jumperooo Sun 18-Aug-13 22:32:06

Merrell Haven 2 coat! Saw me through last winter pushing a newborn around. Is insulated and a lot warmer than it looks too!

tassisssss Sun 18-Aug-13 22:38:46

I got an amazing northface one last October (and wore it everyday until end April!)

SandyChick Mon 19-Aug-13 13:05:05

I have a down coat from Landsend. Think it was called 'chevron'.

It's the down filled long coat with fur hood. I've only had it 2 winters and its started to let the rain in around the stitching. Really disappointed.

I like their belted version but really dubious about buying another Landsend one.

I have a short waterproof north face coat that I've had for 5 years and its as good at new.

saythatagain Mon 19-Aug-13 13:34:39

Well I've just ordered a Didrikson Thelma in graphite on the back of this thread!
In all fairness, I have been looking for something since last year and was going to go for the Naomi but that's no longer available.
This looks like it'll do the job very nicely. Cost £139.50 inc. postage.
To me, this is a lot of money, but, from what other posters have said, it'll be worth.
Apologies, but can't do linkys <thick>

holidaysrcoming Mon 19-Aug-13 17:23:15

I was going to go for a didriksons veronica - it says on website that they are generous and size down, is that right and if so by how much?

Also I have short arms and hate coats with sleeves hanging down over my hands - are these coats designed for the long limbed swede rather than a short pear shaped brit?

Tweet2tweet Tue 20-Aug-13 08:31:14

Just managed to get Didrikson Veronica in black for £80. I think that's a good deal? Didn't know sizing was large though sad . Bought a 12, usual size. I am long limbed and quite tall so hoping it will be okay.
Found a site selling Thelmas for £108 too, if anyone interested?

CollectorofCookbooks Tue 20-Aug-13 08:52:38

If they are designed for long limbed swedes count me in - I'm 6' 2" and normally have a nightmare with sleeves not being long enough!

The looooooooong thread about this from 2010 is fascinating, turns out we're not the only ones to have debated and discussed this.

I love the Aigle jacket but it's just not long enough. I need something which covers me to mid-thigh. I wonder if there's a long version, I do love my old and battered wax jacket...

Lemonytrees Tue 20-Aug-13 11:41:04

uk.thenorthface.com/tnf-uk-en/women-s/shop-by-category/jackets/down-jackets/women-s-arctic-parka-2.html

I bought something very similar to this last year (but didn't pay nearly as much as that so shopped around a lot. It's brilliant and incredibly warm (spend a lot of time outside watching dc sports in winter)

I am interested in something a bit less warm though for milder days so watching with interest. I think the Seasalt mac might be a good bet

saythatagain Tue 20-Aug-13 11:49:51

I ordered the Didrikson Thelma (Viking Kids) yesterday and it's just arrived. I ordered it in the 10 after ordering the Naomi in a 14 and it being huge (it fit dh).
Although it's super, it's not what I want; it's not thick enough and it's not big enough!
I'm not sure if it's because it's a classed as an all weather coat and the Naomi comes under winter coat.
Anyway, I'm waiting for them to call me back to discuss (they were very helpful last time).
Tweet2tweet - where did you buy your Veronica? I'll be interested to hear about the sizing.

sniffywhiff Tue 20-Aug-13 11:58:49

The website for the Didriksons stuff has a woman all togged out on the opening page - I want to look like that when I'm dog walking and freezing in Scotland sad. They don't say which coat it is though and none of them seem to look like it - any ideas?

SofaCanary Tue 20-Aug-13 12:29:19

I really want the Didrikson Lindsey buy I guess it won't be back this year. It looked practical without being quite as anoraky looking as the others.

holidaysrcoming Tue 20-Aug-13 12:58:46

Viking kids seem to have Lindsey altho some colours sold out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now