HoC Spring thread....

(1000 Posts)
BeginnerSAHM Mon 12-Aug-13 19:00:53

This is a thread for all of us who have had their colours done' by House of Colour and are a Spring. (And 'believe' in it...wink.) Or, by CMB and are 'clear and warm'. Think a few other CMB catergories might be spring too - 'soft and warm' maybe/' warm and clear' (different from 'clear and warm' because of the order of priorities/dominance...)?

Feel free to ask any Spring-related fashion/make-up/style questions on this thread.... (I won't know the answer but lots of people on these boards will!)

So, I'll start with a 'spring' question.... I never wear lipstick. I occasionally wear neutral-ish lipgloss on a night out but never reapply during the evening so it's always gone within the first 20 mins. I know as a spring, I 'should'. Can anybody suggest a Revlon lip butter that is springish? I gather they are more sheer than full lipstick so might be a good way for me to start trying lip colour out! Thank you

Aquelven Wed 16-Oct-13 08:39:53

Found what I think is a really wearable lippy colour for daytime, especially when you don't feel like something too bright & overpowering. Revlon Lip Butter in Peach Parfait, nicely moisturising too.

BirdyBedtime Wed 16-Oct-13 09:17:51

Morning all.
Hope you're feeling better Aque - I've had a terrible cold for about a week and only just feeling a bit less choked up today.
I hope all goes well today Alemci - your new Spring confidence will shine through.
I've got meetings at work today so am in a fairly smart wrap dress which has black, cream and coral hoops (DS calls it my polo dress), nude tights and my croc skin shoes.
Pulled my winter boots out last night to polish etc and my faithful long heeled black ones have finally given up the ghost so am going on the hunt for grey ones to replace them - I have a couple of pairs of brown boots, but I just don't think they go well with quite a lot of my trousers.

IwannaSleep Wed 16-Oct-13 10:26:17

Right ladies, I'm joining you. Got my colours done yesterday, I'm a light warm spring, have my booklet, was full of confidence till I went into a shop, didn't want to pull out my booklet in case I looked like a knob !
Back to work in 2 weeks after maternity leave and want to buy some smart casual clothes. Any 'must haves' to help start me off??

Gillybobs Wed 16-Oct-13 11:00:38

Welcome!

Id start with a couple of nice tops and a scarf in my WOW colours and definitely a good compliant lippy.

Beyond that I started replacing my black basics with charcoal or navy.

Enjoy the ride!

BeginnerSAHM Wed 16-Oct-13 12:40:19

Welcome Iwannasleep!

Yup - I know what you mean about feeling like a knob! Just do it anway grin ... You'll never match them exactly but it's helpful getting your eye in for the right tones etc!

Birdy - sorry you've not been well. The dress sounds great - my consultant suggested I try a coral top with my black suits but I'm very sceptical about mixing colours and black. I prefer neutral colours or navy with black, although I appreciate that's not very Springish. A dress that actually mixes black and coral together sounds good though!

Today, am wearing indigo skinny jeans (quel surprise), apple green vest (can't see it but I know it's Springy), navy l/s t-shirt and navy and bright turquoise striped l/s sloppy v-neck t (which I bought 2 years ago online from Gap in the sale and hated but forgot to send back and now LOVE... v funny). Heating's not on though so I have my ancient maternity Isabella Oliver wool wrap cardigan/coat thing on - natural wool colour so looks pants on me. Might dye it navy. Had red lip pencil/balm thing on for the school run though so I'm getting there with the lipstick thing... hmm sort of.

Aquelven Wed 16-Oct-13 14:13:10

Welcome aboard Iwannasleep smile

Don't worry about feeling a knob with your swatches, feel the fear & do it anyway, as they saygrin . The other shoppers will most likely never see you again & you'll end up with something that suits you instead of something shoved in the back of the wardrobe.
I used to feel a prat too but now I just don't care, the results are worth it.

I'd echo Gilly in starting off with smaller, inexpensive things near you face to start you off. A cheap way of jumping straight in & feeling the flattery while you get your head round the concept. I bought a couple of tops, scarves, a necklace & the right colour lipstick.

Thanks, Birdy, feeling a bit more human today. Glad you're coming out of the other side of it. It's a nasty bug, feel like it chokes you!

Today I'm wearing, not terrifically springy, dark grey jeans, turquoise top, big cards cos I'm freezing( but it's black). When I was out I wore a padded coat which happens to be the same purple as on our swatch though I've had it a couple of years, black pearl earrings & an amethyst & silver ring. Oh, & brown boots, imitation Huggs, which I could get my foot in for the first time yesterday.....yeah!! grin

Fooogle Wed 16-Oct-13 19:46:44

Hello ladies
Welcome iwannasleep. Yep think when I first started trying to but stuff I bought a few cheapy things from new look etc in my colours to feel right and a lipstick...

Wore pink brandy lippy today.
How bright is the lip butter Aque? Almost feel too subtle with some lippies now...

Beginner do you think natural cream wool colour is no good? Have my suspicions but bought two vintage Aran cardis not long back so they d be rejects... Def have to go with something coloured... Trying with liberty shirts too at mo but hard to get colours to feel spring enough if its a pattern, always a few less good ones in the mix.

Wishing I could try a style day! I had one with CMB but it wasn't so helpful... Feel a bit of a muddle!
Any tips for nice boots - knee height? My old ones look bit tried and dated...

Sorry, that's a bit of a ramble!

Aquelven Wed 16-Oct-13 20:43:06

I got some gorgeous boots last year. The knee high ones from Celtic. I bought the black but hey ho, that was before my colour day. They are very comfy & warm. A bit £££ but I waited & got them in the sale.

http://www.celticandco.co.uk/footwear/womens-footwear/sheepskin-boots/celt-knee-boot/

I'd think natural Aran would be fine. Well I hope so cos I spent weeks last year knitting a cowl necked jumper in a really complicated Aran pattern in the normal cream wool.
Mmmm,how bright is bright, that's a hard one! The Revlon Peach is not as bright as any of the HoC lippies I bought & not as orange as many corals I've seen, but it is very wearable for a more natural look for mornings etc without being that draining browny nude you get a lot of.

Aquelven Wed 16-Oct-13 20:43:30
IwannaSleep Wed 16-Oct-13 20:45:23

thanks ladies.
you all sound like you know what you are doing! i must have a proper look at all early messages to see if there is any tip or blog that might be useful.

question though, my main winter coat is a long grey puff coat any idea what colour handbag i should get that would suit it?

Joycey29 Wed 16-Oct-13 21:45:03

Welcome Iwanna!grin
Looking for boots in navy or grey any suggestions???

Joycey29 Wed 16-Oct-13 21:48:13

Why have I never heard of Celtic & co?

Fooogle Wed 16-Oct-13 22:09:47

White stuff have some grey I think joycey. Think I spotted a few grey in clarks (if you don't hate clarks !) on my ceaseless quest... Lots of ankle ones though. Not sure I've seen knee high grey yet...
Thanks aque I ll have to search for a big lip butter stockist!
iwanna there was a John Lewis bag linked way back that came in Kelly green and (I think) pinky coral or tan which may be good?

BeginnerSAHM Wed 16-Oct-13 22:37:45

Hi all - think natural wool just looks cr*p on me as I need clear colours. Could theoretically look fine on other springs. Anything vaguely sludgy or soft looks terrible on me. Not sure but suspect I am a bright spring in HOC. (Ugh, does not fit with my personality.)

RipMacWinkle Thu 17-Oct-13 17:28:03

iwanna is it worth hitting a tk maxx with your wallet? They usually have a range of all colours of bags, all budgets. Perhaps you could get something in a bright spring shade for a real pop of colour against the grey?

As a general point they are also great for rummaging with your colour wallet. You can get loads more colour in there and off season stuff so you might find Spring stuff while the high street is in the depths of winter colours smile

RipMacWinkle Thu 17-Oct-13 17:29:08

Tk maxx that is, in case it wasn't clear

Joycey29 Thu 17-Oct-13 21:37:57

Fallen for tan boots from Celtic& co! Can't link but are short, wedges with sheepskin lining!

Fooogle Fri 18-Oct-13 06:16:35

Ooo joycey/Aque now I fancy some of those. Am eyeing up the 91£ web discount ones as full price they are a bit ££. Wonder of can limp along til sale time!
Which ones did you like joycey?

Joycey29 Fri 18-Oct-13 06:54:12

Those £91 are the ones I like but budget was half that!
Trying to justify them to myself! They come up large so reckon I could get the 5 s!

IwannaSleep Fri 18-Oct-13 08:12:24

Thanks RipMacWinkle tkmaxx is a good idea , my childminder is coming on Tuesday for another breaking in day so might head in then, couldn't bear that place with a double buggy.

Aquelven Fri 18-Oct-13 09:12:52

Fooogle, have a look in TKMAXX. I picked up a pair of Bears Paw boots, almost identical to my Celtic ones, in grey sheepskin reduced to £39.
These ones..
www.bearpaw.com/womens-emma-12-/612W-311/detail

Fooogle Fri 18-Oct-13 19:42:31

Thanks Aque. Sadly can't pull off v uggy type boots as somehow I look crap! But def itching to get to tk maxx again.
My jaeger coat came. It's lovely but... Too big. I thought a 14 would be good for coat but in really a 10-12... Also it's lovely shape but think I do need nipping in at the waist... So all on all! I should stop randomly buying on eBay, I just always think I've bagged a bargain!!! Now need to sell it!

Anyway, kinda springy today: coral/ red top... Jeans! Tan belt and Kelly green cashmere for a bit. Right colours but odd ensemble...oh to look ' together' with two crazy kids!

Aquelven Fri 18-Oct-13 20:46:59

Do you believe what they say about all your colours will always co-ordinate & go together?
I'm finding it hard to see how, for example, the purple & teal shades could possibly look good together. Or worse, the turquoises with the red.

Joycey29 Fri 18-Oct-13 21:47:52

Loads of springy stuff on 'The Hut'- accessories and lots on offers

Gillybobs Fri 18-Oct-13 23:00:09

Aquelven that's a really interesting point, I think it depends on your style type. As a classic type I can't contemplate wearing clashing colours, even thought they technically work tone/warmth wise, but a friend of mine who has a gamine style type(young, fun type) really rocks some wacky spring colour combinations

This thread is not accepting new messages.