HoC Spring thread....

(1000 Posts)
BeginnerSAHM Mon 12-Aug-13 19:00:53

This is a thread for all of us who have had their colours done' by House of Colour and are a Spring. (And 'believe' in it...wink.) Or, by CMB and are 'clear and warm'. Think a few other CMB catergories might be spring too - 'soft and warm' maybe/' warm and clear' (different from 'clear and warm' because of the order of priorities/dominance...)?

Feel free to ask any Spring-related fashion/make-up/style questions on this thread.... (I won't know the answer but lots of people on these boards will!)

So, I'll start with a 'spring' question.... I never wear lipstick. I occasionally wear neutral-ish lipgloss on a night out but never reapply during the evening so it's always gone within the first 20 mins. I know as a spring, I 'should'. Can anybody suggest a Revlon lip butter that is springish? I gather they are more sheer than full lipstick so might be a good way for me to start trying lip colour out! Thank you

Gillybobs Tue 13-Aug-13 09:44:50

Scarfs are a real saviour when you love the dark neutrals like I do, this kind of thing

www.boden.co.uk/en-GB/Womens-Accessories/Hats,-Scarves-Gloves/AD134-COR/Womens-Coral-Flower-Burst-Printed-Scarf.html

I've dozens of printed scarves which are great for adding colour to winter neutral knitwear. I've had great scarves from Zara, warehouse, TK Maxx and Lola rose

A big shift for me was away black footwear - a struggle at first but now I think black boots just look so clumpy and heavy. Love tan for shoes and bags, also grey but its harder to find

jumpinghoops Tue 13-Aug-13 10:07:43

I love that printed coral scarf. I have just bought the Boden Friendship Bracelet in bright green which is a good kelly green colour. I have another make up related question: has anyone found a good brown mascara? I need something thickening/lengthening ideally (ie.more lashes would be ideal!) I only find good mascaras that are black.

BeginnerSAHM Tue 13-Aug-13 10:29:50

Yes! I have a great brown/black mascara, I think from max factor - will check make-up bag when i get home.

And currently wearing smidgen of HOC 55 lipstick (red!) with stone long sleeved t from mint velvet, navy skinny cropped trousers (with gold zips), tan satchel, tan skinny belt and err pale tan ballet shoes with a few cream feathers and dark sparkly bits. I admit I look better with the smudge of lippy. It's soooo bright though shock.

BeginnerSAHM Tue 13-Aug-13 10:33:59

Had my eye on that friendship bracelet wink. And the scarf looks a good way to get into the bright colour thing! V pleased I started this thread. (Must get job now though...)

GlassesDontSuitMe Tue 13-Aug-13 11:43:22

Gilly That scarf is lovely, I have ordered. I agree with you about black footwear. I have the same boots in tan and black, the tan wins everytime. I have chucked a lot of black footwear I've amassed over the years. I'm replacing with navy and brown/tan. Same with handbags. I read somewhere that for springs, bags which are black/very dark tend to look like luggage and are to be avoided.

One of my 100% colours is kerry green but I struggle to find the exact (or tone) colour. If anyone can recommend something I would be very grateful.

cardoon Tue 13-Aug-13 12:01:52

Yes, the elusive kerry, would love a wool winter coat in this.

Thanks for the scarf link Gilly, does the viscose feel OK? I cannot imagine wearing black footwear now.

I use blinc tube mascara, gives a very natural look.

Gillybobs Tue 13-Aug-13 12:22:53

Sorry I should have said I don't have that actual scarf, just thought it was a good example of a not too scary spring colour.

The HoC lippys are too much for me, even though I'm a lipstick addict. I find the texture too thick and heavy. And the colours seem to change on my lips which drives me crazy. I think Season wears Hoc55 but blots it and adds a gloss on top.

Today I'm wearing Boden red bistro cropped trousers from summer range, navy lace ls top from next and nude coloured Sam edalman pumps . I've got some cream bracelets and a wooden and turquoise bracelet on too. And obligatory bright lippy.

BeginnerSAHM Tue 13-Aug-13 12:26:10

The brown/black mascara I use is max factor 'clump defying'. Highly recommend it!

And totally agree about black shoes! I only have them for work but often wore 'nude' ones with black suits as preferred them. Until Kate Middleton wore them the whole time.... (Mine are mid/kitten heel though - can't do proper high heels!)

I'm on the hunt for tan/brown ankle boots to wear with dresses and leggings - maybe Hudson ones or Office 'uncanny' ones. Sorry - am rubbish at links when on my phone.

BeginnerSAHM Tue 13-Aug-13 12:35:14

I think that Boden scarf is really nice gillybobs! And your outfit sounds great. I'm wary of bright trousers as am a pear shape. Admittedly, quite a slim one but still have a not-v-pert derrière! I like the idea of working on colour through jewellery though... Season seems to do that! (I'm learning...wink)

Oh good - glad you think that about hoc lipstick. I only bought that and the coral gloss but won't be buying any more, I don't think.

Gillybobs Tue 13-Aug-13 12:35:20

I've stuck with black mascara to be honest. I have very dark eyebrows and fairly dark hair so brown mascara just doesn't cut it for me. I don't wear black eyeliner any more though, dark brown, grey or occasionally teal works much better

I like nude heels for work too, and I picked up navy shoe boots from m and s that have been worn loads

Quite liking these tan ankle boots
www.dune.co.uk/proccess-sm-steve-madden-round-toe-leather-ankle-boot-0618508150010511/

BeginnerSAHM Tue 13-Aug-13 13:10:13

nice coral necklace?. Or is it a bit cheap looking?

Gillybobs Tue 13-Aug-13 13:58:56

I like that necklace. Also have a look at Stella and dot, fab springy stuff although it's pricey. Zara do great necklaces too

Mumelie Tue 13-Aug-13 14:26:51

Hi Springs - very excited to see a Spring thread!
I was 'diagnosed' a Blue Spring and a Classic Ingenue earlier this year. Loved buying all the clothes in the shops in Spring colours but feel a bit stuck for AW. I do have a fair bit of grey but going for Navy as my main basic as think it suits me better (was one of my * colours).
Thinking about this coat for Winter - esp with 25% off today grin.
I loved my HOC lipsticks, but tend to save them for the evening as they are very bright! I bought a bright red and a coral (sorry dont remeber the nos). I dont now feel properly dressed without lippy on.
I'm also on the look out for a fantastic leather bag - tan I think (but grey would also be god) - mainly for work but not overly formal or huge. Any ideas? Budget up to about £250 ish.

Gillybobs Tue 13-Aug-13 14:51:16
wools Tue 13-Aug-13 14:52:53

Great to see a thread for Springs. I was diagnosed a "blue spring earlier this year. Initially I was disappointed as I was so sure that I was a "winter". A few months down the line though I love my new colours. I agree that black accessories look too heavy and much prefer tan now that i have been enlightened. I would love a coral cashmere jumper and some camel wool trousers for the autumn. I know what you mean about the bright lipsticks - feels weird but they do work. I've got 3 revlon lip butters - candy apple, tutti frutti and wild watermelon and would like a lovely coral lippy too. Looking forward to all the "spring" chat!

Mumelie Tue 13-Aug-13 14:57:19

Nice bag Gillybobs! Prefer the tan to the grey I think.

Gillybobs Tue 13-Aug-13 14:58:13

This is a great comparison of my two favourite spring coral lippies, mac see sheer (nice and subtle for daytime) and Mac Crosswires, a bit more kapow

hattieshideaway.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/mac-see-sheer-and-crosswires-lipstick.html

hollyisalovelyname Tue 13-Aug-13 15:02:02

CMB, a long time ago said I was a warm spring. What's the equivalent in HOC?
What's a blue spring?
Coral/ orange lipsticks are very difficult to wear unless you have very white teeth. They make teeth appear more yellow. Anybody else noticed that?

Gillybobs Tue 13-Aug-13 15:05:48

Pinky coral is fine, it's only when it pulls too orange it makes teeth look bad

Blue spring is someone who particularly suits the blues/greens in the palette I think

Aquelven Tue 13-Aug-13 15:17:59

There seem to be a few of us who are Blue Springs smile

I second the Max Factor black/brown mascara, I use the 1000 Calorie one. Used loads of more expensive ones but keep coming back to it.

I haven't had the style day yet. Would really like to but have to wait as stuck in bed at the moment having had an operation on my foot end of last week & on crutches, no driving for six more weeks. I don't understand the names they give the styles, can anyone give a rough description of what they mean by gamine, ingenue etc. please?

Joycey29 Tue 13-Aug-13 15:40:26

Ooops!
Went out this morning for a food shop and accidentally bought a teal/petrol coloured faux leather jacket!
So definitely not what I would have bought Pre-CMB, but so many comments already, it would appear to be a good buy!
Felt the need to share my excitement! grin

Gillybobs Tue 13-Aug-13 15:41:21

Style day is brilliant, completely fascinating and so helpful. virtually everyone is a mix of two style types, eg I'm a romantic classic. This means there are many many combinations you could be, and each element will have an influence on how you dress so it's really hard to guess what you're going to be. Also, everyone will put their own spin on it so my romantic classic wouldn't look exactly the same as someone slimmer or smaller than me, although we would both follow the same guidance on what works best

Very very roughly, classics like to be groomed and wear quality fabrics and shapes, romantics like a bit more "show" in their outfits and suit velvety, lace etc, ingenue is a girly type who likes detail and innocence, gamines are generally petite and neat and boyishly youthful, naturals can be very laid back in either a boho/outdoorsy/sporty way, dramatics tend to suit angles and sharp neat shapes. As I say, we are all a blend of two of these so it's brilliant to understand why and really get to grips with your body shape and proportions. Also h your personality affects true style. They then give you lots of notes and guidance on clothes shapes, fabrics, ideal shops etc

Gillybobs Tue 13-Aug-13 15:42:10

Joycey, link please!

vitaminC Tue 13-Aug-13 15:46:24

Can I gatecrash here? I'm a warm Autumn, but borderline warm Spring - light chestnutty auburn hair, tanned complexion and orangey hazel eyes. Actually everything about me is roughly the same colour - tan hmm

Anyway my best colours are the ones in both the warm Autumn and warm Spring palettes. Most of my clothes are cream, beige, tan or navy with teal or orange accessories.

And I've started wearing brown mascara and eyeliner, with a translucent coral lipgloss and get complimented all the time now on how well I look smile

The mascara is 360° from Yves Rocher, colour 02 BRUN
Eyeliner is a liquid one, also from Yves Rocher, 01 QUARTZ FUME
Lipgloss is Camille Albane, GL33 CORAIL TOUR

Gillybobs Tue 13-Aug-13 16:01:56

Hello vitamin do you buy the camille albane in the uk?

This thread is not accepting new messages.