Will going blonde make hiding greys easier?

(21 Posts)
Polgara2 Thu 08-Aug-13 20:14:02

Yes I must admit I still think I looked better as a brunette! But my roots were showing after about 2 weeks and I just couldn't stand having to do it so often. Also it was sapping my confidence when my roots were showing - i felt 'old' and i hated people seeing what I thought was hair that badly needed doing.
I am not completely blonde, still have darker bits underneath which sort of makes it a blend iyswim.
I guess you won't know til you try it, you may be pleasantly surprised smile

Coconutty Costa Rica Thu 08-Aug-13 18:02:10

Well, I've booked the appointment, haven't been blonde in years. Really want to say, "make it as blonde as you can," but don't want to be too shocked.

Will let you know how it goes.

slalomsuki Thu 08-Aug-13 16:50:47

Polgara that's the bit I couldn't do ie seeing myself as a blond. It just didn't suit even though it did disguise the grey hair. I had got as far as dying it light blonde but it was a shade too far so have gone back to light brown to see how much it fades and lightens. My hair always had picked up red tones easily and fades easily even when dark. I had loads of grey hairs round my hair line, temple and top of my head to the crown. The back was still quite dark and grey-less though.

I guess 20 mins every 3/4 weeks from now will be the routine.

Polgara2 Thu 08-Aug-13 10:17:32

Much easier. I was very dark brunette originally but am probably very grey now if I left it! Got fed up of having a badger streak every few weeks so got hairdresser to start putting blonde highlights in. Then upped my base colour to dark blonde alternating with highlights. Now my base colour is medium/light blonde and it has made such a difference. Can't see when my roots come through unless you look really really closely. Took me a while to adjust to seeing myself as a blonde after all those years as a brunette but now I really love it.

cocolepew United States Thu 08-Aug-13 10:12:42

I had a dark brown permanent dye in and have just streaked it blonde. Some bit are a bit gingery and I'll need to do then again, but the brown lifts no problem.

I do it myself and put the bleach from L'oreal hombre through my hair and then and light brown on top. Then I steaked Garnier Lights through it and it came through really blonde on some parts because of the bleach underneath. I admit there are probably easier ways grin

LaRegina Thu 08-Aug-13 10:11:46

Coconutty you won't have to wait years, it would just be that you would need to have your highlights done using bleach, which is fine as long as you have it done by somebody who knows what they're doing - the bleach may have to be a strong peroxide mix to lift all that dark colour properly without leaving it orange. And you look after it well afterwards (lots of conditioning treatments basically). Then in the future if you then don't want to keep using bleach on your hair, you don't have to. You can touch up your roots with blonde hair colour in a similar shade to the bleach.

Coconutty Costa Rica Thu 08-Aug-13 10:04:56

I do have lots of dark brown permanent colour on it (except the bloody roots/temple which has lots of grey!) and am worried that they won't be able to highlight over it then.

If I have to wait for it to grow out, it will be years. My hair is quite long at the moment.

slalomsuki Thu 08-Aug-13 09:53:08

I've been going lighter and lighter over the past year for exactly this reason but I hate it. I was black brown in colour and started with highlights to disguise the grey but then moved to a lighter and lighter base colour as more and more greys came through. I found it faded and became lighter between dye sessions as my hair held less and less of the colour.

This week however I hated it so much I have dyed it a light brown all over and it looks great and I have had loads of comments. I think I will go back to dyeing it every 3-4 weeks at home and give up on the expensive highlights and trips to the hairdressers.

LaRegina Thu 08-Aug-13 09:38:26

OP Yes blonde is definitely easier if you have a lot of grey - and I would say if you're regrowth will be mostly grey, it won't notice much and you could probably leave it a couple of months between visits.

Elquinto can you post a pic of yourself and I'll help with what shade you need!

There's also the issue of how might lighter you can actually make your hair go without using bleach. If you've been using permanent colour in a dark shade on your hair, those bits won't be able to be lightened that way until they grow out.

IMO home hair colours are fine - as long as you pick the right shade, which is often the hard bit because it never looks the same as on the box.

Iatemyskinnyperson Thu 08-Aug-13 09:28:25

Elquinto, I'm exactly the same, really grey. I was dying it my natural brunette, but was heartily sick of regrowth & my greys were very resistant. I was getting a lot if fading too.

So anyway, I did 2 things- switched over to sulfate free shampoos & conditioners, which really helped with the fading.

Then I had a home-dye disaster when my hair went pitch black & was very patchy. Hairdresser said best solution was subtle highlights to blend it all together. I loved it, was so much more flattering & easier to keep.

So now I've gradually lightened my base to dark blonde with a couple of shades of highlights. I love it!! Much much easier to keep than the dark brown & much more flattering.

dontyouwantmebaby Thu 08-Aug-13 00:13:50

ps am about 25% grey.

oh and just remembered, my sister in law went from dark to blonde, never noticed any greys on her since but she gets it done at the salon v.v.regularly.

dontyouwantmebaby Thu 08-Aug-13 00:11:49

am sorry to go against the grain here but I'd say that its just as noticeable (for me anyway). I have dark blonde hair and have had it highlighted plus a few different shades of blonde in there and I always notice the greys around my temples.

couldn't keep up with the cost or effort to get to hairdresser appointments to do the different blonde blends every so often and so found it easier to buy a darker colour to do at home by myself each month instead.

elQuintoConyo Wed 07-Aug-13 22:43:53

I'm about 75% grey, it's frightening - I'm only 38 sad I'm naturally (apart from the grey!) washed-out-mouse colour, or 'dead mouse' as I call it, and have been dying it dark or medium brown for years, some at the hairdresser, some at home. I have justvtouched up the roots with dark blonde and it looks fine, not too two-tone. Gradually I'd like to ease out of the brown and more to the blonde to make the grey less bloody noticeable.
I'm stoney broke, so it has to be home dye kits.
I'm very pale with pale blue eyes - obviously you can't see me! But what shade of blonde should I be heading for? Not bleach-blonde, of course, but maybe honey? California? Buttery?
I'm very scared hmm

NonnaMai Wed 07-Aug-13 18:03:16

I'ts been many years but if I recall correctly my natural colour is a dark mousy. I am grey at my temples with a good two inches at the top front completely grey.

I have three colours put in. Caramel, beige and a few very blonde highlights. I have it done every. 8/10 weeks. The grey blends in brilliantly.
I say do it.

rainbowfeet Wed 07-Aug-13 16:19:47

Yes! grin

I am naturally light brown (mousey) & have been all colours!! Was up until recently quite dark red but they grey was awful.. I was having my hairdresser colour it every 6 weeks but still having to colour the roots about once a fortnight.. Such a pain & expensive too. I stripped the red out took 2 attempts then over a few months my hairdresser coloured it with various blonde shades to blend in the still gingery colour ... Happy to say a lovely blonde again & grey doesn't show between visits!! grin

Arisbottle Wed 07-Aug-13 16:10:57

I went blonde for that exact reason.

QueenBoudicea Wed 07-Aug-13 16:05:23

I was pondering this too. Have just moved over to a permanent dye at the hairdressers but my greys are becoming more resistant.
The problem for me is that I have been dark brown forever so not sure that I'd suit blonde.

Coconutty Costa Rica Wed 07-Aug-13 15:38:31

I'm going to do it then. Haven't been blonde for years.

yes, i'm about 25% grey and naturally the rest is mousy brown/dark blonde

a full head of blonde highlights looks much better than an all over colour and lasts the full 8 weeks before i go back again - and my hair grows fast

GemmaTeller Wed 07-Aug-13 14:06:37

I gave up home dyeing mine due to it not covering the grey, mines naturally a medium to dark brown.

What a revelation going to the hairdressers to discuss it! - I wanted her to dye it all grey and she said no,so she's put blonde highlights and lowlights in and according to critical DH she's done a great job, the grey just blends in.

Coconutty Costa Rica Wed 07-Aug-13 14:00:43

I have to dye my hair about every 4-5 weeks due to the amount of grey I get around the temples and ears. I usually do it a medium/golden brown or reddy auburn.

I am considering going blonde, with lots of all over highlights. Will this make the regrowth easier to manage? I don't think I will be able to get my roots done every month at a hairdresser but am hoping I could go longer in between if it's blonde.

At the moment any regrowth or stubborn greys are so obvious because of the contrast between my hair colour and them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now