Why do you wear make up?

(68 Posts)
clarequilty Wed 07-Aug-13 13:43:58

Just that, really.

ChildOfThe1980s Thu 08-Aug-13 19:04:35

I usually just use foundation because I can't be bothered to do any more, and because I often have spots. Lipstick always comes off and eye stuff freaks my eyes out.

EssexGurl Thu 08-Aug-13 12:54:59

Same as alot of you. I have been wearing more recently but that is because I found the right foundation. I went to the Boots no7 counter to do the matching thing. It was a revelation. The foundation is my skin colour and I still look like me only 100% better. I have worn it most days and it does make me feel more confident as I feel more polished.

As a SAHM I don't feel the need like I did when I worked. But I also feel more anonymous. A bit of slap gives me a boost in the mornings

dexter73 Thu 08-Aug-13 11:49:00

Some make-up threads in the past have become real bunfights! It is amazing what people can get upset about!

oreoaddict Thu 08-Aug-13 11:45:54

dexter, oh. Well I didn't know that grin I can imagine it being a good discussion actually. Watch this space then I guess.

ummlilia Thu 08-Aug-13 11:40:33

Haven't worn it for ten years..and never really got into it before that..am just happy as I am (not wishing to imply that others aren't though..)

Spoonpaws Thu 08-Aug-13 11:39:50

I don't wear makeup. Usually because if I try to I look like a comedy panda. But mostly because I can't be bothered.

Keztrel Thu 08-Aug-13 11:37:08

LOL madmomma. But I reckon it is just our own perceptions that we look corpse-like or tired without make up. When I think of my friends who don't wear it, who are just as pasty and weedy-lashed as me, I never think they look ill or tired - they just look like themselves. But on me, it's the contrast between how I look with and without it that makes me think GAAH when I see myself bare-faced. So my answer to this question is always just 'it makes me look prettier'.

LaRegina Thu 08-Aug-13 11:34:40

I like the process of applying makeup and experimenting with different colours.

I know I look better (so therefore feel better) wearing it. I actually think I look quite washed out and unhealthy without it.

And I love shopping for makeup - so it would be a waste not to use it grin

dexter73 Thu 08-Aug-13 11:28:38

What do you mean oreo? They often take discussions on here and use them in their show. Why not have a discussion on why women wear make-up?

oreoaddict Thu 08-Aug-13 11:26:42

dexter really?.....

SprinkleLiberally Thu 08-Aug-13 09:17:09

I look nice with it. Also, I love the actual process of putting it on. It's fun!

dexter73 Thu 08-Aug-13 09:08:37

Is this going to be a discussion on the Wright Show soon?!

colditz Thu 08-Aug-13 09:04:35

It's like icing a delicious cake <<preen>>

madmomma Thu 08-Aug-13 09:03:49

Because I look like a crack whore without it.

elQuintoConyo Thu 08-Aug-13 09:00:07

Because I look like one of the Walking Dead without it.
Because I'm terribly pale and look invisible with no slap.
I only wear the bare minimum and don't have a different day/evening look, maybe just a different lippy.
It saves me from being too much of a walloping great moose!

Bonsoir Thu 08-Aug-13 08:53:17

Because I have convinced myself that I look better with it. I don't wear much though.

MadBusLady Thu 08-Aug-13 08:51:46

It makes me look like me, only better. I don't tend to do a lot with my eyes and lips though, which I think is what makes people think "she's wearing lots of make-up". I am more about the contours and outlines. If I only have 2 minutes I do BB cream, eyebrow pencil, powder on nose and blusher. Make-up is kind of like drawing yourself in felt pen.

It protects my skin. Make up provides a barrier between you and pollutants.

Some make up is actively good for the skin like mineral make up.

I look 10 years younger than my actual age from having worn make up since my late teens.

LynetteScavo Thu 08-Aug-13 08:50:39

It makes me look less dead.

I don't wear much, especially if I have a tan, but I wouldn't throw away my makeup bag.

msshapelybottom Thu 08-Aug-13 08:44:34

I only wear eye make up, eyeliner and mascara, or nude eyeshadow shades and mascara. I just like how it enhances the way my eyes look...not totally different, just...more IYKWIM?

I used to wear a lot of purple eyeliner (green eyes) but now I prefer a more natural look.

Hate foundation, concealer, blusher and lipstick though. I'm happy to go about with blotchy skin but don't take my mascara away!

Monty27 Thu 08-Aug-13 00:52:18

Sorry that was in response to Running's link. Thanks for that. smile

Monty27 Thu 08-Aug-13 00:51:28

BRILLIANT! Bit like me but not the eyeliner and only occasionally blusher. grin

Why do I wear make up OP? Cos I'm worth it! grin

runningforthebusinheels Thu 08-Aug-13 00:38:28

Btw: I do this grin

tigerdriverII Thu 08-Aug-13 00:37:05

It looks good. I like it. I want to.

Most days I don't wear it. This summer I have as I have a bit of a tan and a nice even tan looks so much nicer than a blodgy old fizz hog.

Monty27 Thu 08-Aug-13 00:35:45

Foundation to cover my skin tone which is not naice, mascara to make me look awake, and bright red lipstick to make me look glam smile but probably fails grin

Don't wear a lot more. I spend about 2 mins doing it. A bit longer if I'm going out to a party or something and I may even try to put a bit of eyeshadow on.

smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now