Anyone tried microdermabrasion?

(19 Posts)
Snog Tue 03-Sep-13 21:27:48

yes the dermaflannel is amazing
try it befote condidering peels etc

oreoaddict Tue 03-Sep-13 14:00:30

Ok, I'm going to bump this thread. I was going to start my own, but might as well do a bit of re cycling grin

Was thinking about having this done and just wanted to hear your experiences.

Thanks ladies

chummymummy7 Fri 23-Aug-13 12:59:25

I forgot to mention Liz Earle polishing cloths, which got really good reviews.

chummymummy7 Fri 23-Aug-13 12:58:26

haveanotherbiscuit (yes please! ) I'm actually just using a baby muslin, and spend a good 5 minutes exfoliating the problem areas each night, then put on a little argan oil to soothe.

Crystal Clear microdermabrasion seems a popular choice.

did anybody see that TV programme last night with Anna Richardson getting the roller-needle treatment?

nomorebooze Fri 23-Aug-13 10:11:43

there was a post a while ago about chemical peels, and everyone raved about a special cloth [no chemicals involved]

www.bravuralondon.com/dermaflannel-1.html

think this is the one

Sleepathon Fri 23-Aug-13 07:54:49

I had a course of Crystal Clear Microdermabrasion and it worked wonders. I have really congested skin and it was more for the pigmentation left by blemishes rather than actual acne scars. My skin was so smooth and bright afterwards!

I have also used a home kit before, really can't remember the name - it was pants and a waste of money.

HappyGirlNow Fri 23-Aug-13 07:52:17

DO NOT buy off Amazon (just noticed your last post!). You need 1.5mm needles on your face to start the collagen regeneration and you should not do this yourself. You'll end up damaging your skin and scarring yourself even more. The 0.5mm ones are ok to use at home but these are just to help with product absorption and won't make any real difference to scarring or increase collagen generation.

HappyGirlNow Fri 23-Aug-13 07:49:42

Dermaroller is meant to be good for scarring. I had a course recently and it's made such a difference to my skin (although I didn't have any scarring..).

Haveanotherbiscuit Thu 22-Aug-13 22:49:24

Chummy, that sounds good. I've been looking at the debrasion rollers on amazon and am tempted.

Can I ask what muslin cloths are you using. Do I need to but specific ones.

I still seem to be getting acne at 36 and to starting to scar my face.

chummymummy7 Thu 22-Aug-13 22:23:54

Update : I just wanted to add that I have been exfoliating with dead sea scrub using a muslin daily for the past week or so and am starting to see a marked improvement. Maybe not as marked as with a cosmetic treatment, but certainly smoother than before and the marks are reducing.

Just thought I'd mention it in case anybody else finds it helpful.

AnaisB Fri 09-Aug-13 23:05:16

Marking place and slightly hijacking - anyone had/considered home micordermabrasion?

AwkwardSquad Fri 09-Aug-13 20:42:44

I've had microdermabrasion a few years ago and it made my skin go into overdrive on oil production. Wouldn't try it again.

chummymummy7 Fri 09-Aug-13 20:36:14

Thanks lurkingaround. That's all really helpful, and gosh...it's expensive, much more than I can afford if it takes a few sessions to be effective. Nothing beats personal testimonial though, so it's really useful to hear your experience.

lurkingaround Thu 08-Aug-13 23:36:10

Sorry, haven't been around since my last post.
fraxel.com/consumer/what-to-expect/faq
It's not the best website but have a look. This isn't a bad page.

It's laser, but generally without the downtime that ordinary 'ablative' laser treatments. There are different strengths of it and your provider 'prescribes' the appropriate strength. You usually need a few sessions. this goes thru the science of it a bit.
The downside is the expense. It's a few years since I had it. I think it was approx £400 - £500 a session. For me, well worth it.

Is that of any help?

chummymummy7 Wed 07-Aug-13 21:38:49

sorry lurkingaround, I meant to write Fraxel

chummymummy7 Wed 07-Aug-13 21:38:03

this is all v helpful thanks.

what is flaxel please?

lurkingaround Tue 06-Aug-13 23:22:30

I think it depends on how bad your scarring is, what type of scarring, how extensive it is etc. Also depends on how deep into the skin the microdermabrasion goes. If you're having it done in a beautician's, it will be fairly superficial, and may not make a big difference.

Laser has become more popular for scarring treatment. I have had some Fraxel for acne scarring, not terrible scarring but significant enough. 4 sessions. Expensive, a bit sore, but I think the improvement made it worth it. I would love a few more sessions.

You have to be realistic about what results you can expect. My advice would be to spend the money on a consultation with a good cosmetic dermatologist, get advice and then decide. In the long run this is the cheaper way of doing it.

HTH.

Bumblebee78 Tue 06-Aug-13 23:00:59

My sister in laws mum had microderm for acne scars. It was called crystal clear. She said it worked wonders and is really pleased with the results. I have another friend who had a chemical face peel. It was crap, she looks no different and would say so herself.

chummymummy7 Tue 06-Aug-13 22:13:37

I'm looking into this specifically for acne scarring. Has anyone gone down this route? ...I imagine it would take a few sessions and cost a fair bit, so would love to hear from anybody who has an experience, whether positive or negative.

Or has anybody tried another method of dealing with acne scarring? I'm actually not even 100% sure it is acne scarring-it might just be very persistent spots that are taking months and months to clear. whatever it is, I'm feeling unable to go foundation and concealer-free.

Any advice/experiences would be appreciated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now