Capsule / Basic wardrobe for Autumn/Winter

(65 Posts)
HandMini Tue 06-Aug-13 19:45:04

So, I had DD2 in February. I also had a massive clear out of 90% of my wardrobe because it was all rubbish.

I'm now going to splash some cash on a new wardrobe, as I'm back to pre-baby weight and size and I have nothing to wear other than some shorts and tshirts.

So, would love the Stylers and Beauters of MN to tell me, what do I need in my start-from-scratch A/W wardrobe. I'd love a list of basics to create a capsule wardrobe, or advice as to what the trendy pieces / shapes will be.

I'm blonde/brown haired, pale skinned, size 10. I'm not at all trendy, so err on the side of classic boring

Go!

Awakeagain Wed 07-Aug-13 09:34:44

Love those brown dune ankle boots!!

HandMini Wed 07-Aug-13 09:37:31

Yay, thanks Awake - it took me about 45 minutes online to find a pair that I thought might be both on trend and not make me look like a complete berk.

BeingMoreDog Wed 07-Aug-13 09:44:34

I love the boots suburban linked to - just wish they were a different colour! Slate grey, leather ankle boots are what I'm looking for if you see any around. I already have navy desert boots, but these are less practical as they're suede and I'm too lazy to look after them properly.

I plan on wearing slim/straight/not too skinny jeans with ankle boots and uggs. I have the HIDEOUS merrell coat for keeping warm, so am looking for a navy or grey wool duffel or pea coat.

Will also stock up on thermals - but aren't they really sweaty? The thought of polyester makes me itch! And then I have a couple of boden slouchy merino knits from last year. They're not that flattering (think sack of spuds), so looking for non-slouchy alternatives.

Will also need non-feeding bras as am determined to wean dc2!

rootypig Wed 07-Aug-13 09:49:52

OP I am also on an ankle boot quest - they're not scary I promise, they make winter so much more bearable, you'll wonder how you did without them!

The Dune ones imo will look ratty quite quickly. The suede, and the detail. PlusI think you need brown to be darker if it's to be neutral ie o with blues, greys, blacks.

Would you consider something like this? With one lovely toasty socks inside?

Awakeagain Wed 07-Aug-13 09:50:57
rootypig Wed 07-Aug-13 09:51:12

being M&S have a navy pea in their Autograph range, it's already in shops.

BeingMoreDog Wed 07-Aug-13 09:51:22

What do y'all think of these flat boots? in grey?

Awakeagain Wed 07-Aug-13 09:53:49

i have a navy gillet from republic of all places from a few years ago

have just found a joules one in a sale but only size 18 left (its creamy/white so probs not that practical)

i find my gillet ok with a good jumper on and scarf hat etc

BeingMoreDog Wed 07-Aug-13 09:59:43

I like the colour of this pink zara wool coat, but double breasted feels too stuffy on me. Would just make a good change from all the black coats around and hide the baby vom nicely.

Awakeagain Wed 07-Aug-13 10:08:20

try h&m for coats
i have a good coat stock from previous years but got a fushia pink wool one from there for £25 full price

Awakeagain Wed 07-Aug-13 10:09:56

cream gillet on a different site but i would probably order a 14 to fit over a jumper

bunnymother Wed 07-Aug-13 10:10:32

I saw this down filled coat in Zara last week and will be ordering / trying it soon as it looks great in RL (pale silvery). Having missed out on the Barbour Arctic Down last year, I wanted something like it. This jacket doesn't have a belt, too, which I actually find annoying (I have a North Face that has a belt): www.zara.com/uk/en/woman/coats/puffer-jacket-with-hood-c269183p1294059.html

The Uniqlo thermals are wonderfully warm, especially under cashmere (there is still some sale stock available from Pure Collection, from where I just ordered a round neck jumper). They aren't hugely long in the body, though (I am a size 10 and wear a S), so you might need a long line vest underneath it if you wear low rise trousers.

Awakeagain Wed 07-Aug-13 10:15:50

loving the down filled zara coat
i teach so need a good playground duty coat that is also nice

bunnymother Wed 07-Aug-13 10:22:16

It looks good, doesn't it?! Last winter's down jackets from Zara had lots of cheap looking hardware and fiddly belts, and this one doesn't have that.

The other thing I thought I would mention is that I am now on the hunt for silk / wool or silk / cashmere scarves as that's the fabric composition that I find has both sheen, softness AND holds its shape. My viscose and modal scarves look a bit, err, limp after a few hours.

Awakeagain Wed 07-Aug-13 10:38:18

i think the discount code i used for even more discount was DPINT on dorothy perkins

have found a local joules outlet store smile so will be checking that out for some bargains, not got from there before so not sure on sizing

Not well up on this capsule thing, but here's what I have to begin with:

Winter..

1 padded warm navy parka with fake furry lined hood.
1 Zara wool 3/4 length wool coat with gold buttons (love this to bits).

Taupe suede boots (like the Dickers, got them at Office)
Black leather Ambush boots (a few yrs old and still perfect for me).
Patent almond toe courts with ankle strap.
Chanel-esque cream and black slip on flats (do have 1 inch block heel tho).

2 lightweight roll neck tops to go under jumpers for layering (H&M, old).

1 white cable wool jumper (Hobbs)
1 Grey Boden must have thing in wool.
1 APC maroon lambswool jumper.
1navy La Redoute cashmere jumper.
1 Navy Uniqlo merino jumper.

2 long cardi's from Zara (black and dark grey).
2 shorter cardi's in white and black from Monsoon.

1 heavy silk APC dress.
1 black fit and flare knee length dress, Topshop (old).

1 Grey wool pants, loose fit from New Look (very old and nice, trust me!).
1 Very old vintage wash Baxter jeans from Topshop (when they still made them perfect). These fit like boyfriend jeans now.
1 Pair of Leigh skinnies, dark vintage wash, Topshop.
1 7FAM Roxanne jeans (I hate these now).
1 pair patterned skinny pants from H&M.

That's it. Oh, and a strong brolly, 2 woolly hats and a pair of thick gloves.

I would like a few more jumpers.

Oh, I do also wear crossover stuff from the warmer months (under my coat!) like blouses, pretty tops and the odd shirt.

I forgot to mention my skirts:

1 maroon cord mini (H&M)
1 Dark denim knee skirt (a line) from Oasis.
1 Navy skirt (apc)
1 grey wool tweed skirt (apc).

Awakeagain Wed 07-Aug-13 12:48:23

gringringringringringringrin My parcels (all 3 of them) have arrived from dp's never have I been so happy to see my local Hermes delivery man

Awakeagain Wed 07-Aug-13 13:09:18

:-) boots are. Great fit for chunky calves gringringrin

suntodayplease Wed 07-Aug-13 14:53:03

Watching with interest, due in October so hoping a few pairs of skinnys with ankle boots and a couple of loose knits from Baukjen will see me though until I'm down to fighting weight. But I will really need a new coat. I've lived in a perfectly practical and quite nice down coat for the last few years but its black, and I've realised I really don't suit black, so I'd like something similar in navy. I tried the Barbour one mentioned up thread but it was too short on me, dissapointed as it was warm without being too bulky. Any other suggestions? Will check out the Aigle one too.

Hopefully Wed 07-Aug-13 16:00:34

Being I don't find thermals sweaty at all, and I am, ahem, a reasonably sweaty person. Obviously if it's baking hot you get a bit toasty. I think mine are mixes, not pure poly, and the merino thermals I have are amaaaaaaayzing.

I need some more fine knitwear this winter, I think. I do a good line in chunky/long knits, but actually often they're no good for under a coat. I feel a pinterest board coming on.

AlohaMama Wed 07-Aug-13 17:21:11

Love those tan boots awake

I recommend thermals too. Definitely worth getting quality ones from an outdoor shop as you tend to get the warmth while still being thin enough to fit under most clothes. I reckon I can loose one layer on top by wearing thermal bottoms.

Love the zara down coat but I'd worry about such a pale colour getting dirty. If anyone sees one in navy or dark grey post it here! I've seen nice ones by outdoor brands but twice the price! I have just bought a nice trench for autumn so just need something warmer. I also have a brown leather blazer style jacket. Would that be v unstylish now? I've been out of the country 5 years so am trying to catch up!

HeyLuciani Wed 07-Aug-13 17:53:00

If you're after thermals I'd recommend the M&S Heatgen thermal tops - they're thin and really good for layering. They have vest, short and long sleeve versions. They usually come in a good range of colours, although you might have to wait until a bit later in the season for the full range. I am a very cold person so spend quite a lot of the year in these - have even worn them under dresses for winter weddings/events blush and no one can tell!

RosieLig Wed 07-Aug-13 18:38:02

Reading this with interest! For those that have the Barbour Artic Parka- how did you find the sizing? Thanks.

RosieLig Wed 07-Aug-13 18:41:13

Ps icebreaker do amazing merino non itchy layers. I have a few of them and they're a godsend.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now