Inexpensive but good make up recommendations please!

(55 Posts)

I sort of asked this on another thread, but then thought it might be better to start my own.

I have worn No7 make up for well over a decade, but current finances dictate that finding a cheaper brand would be a very good idea. I like quite a natural look for everyday, but need a little bit of something to stop me looking washed out. I usually wear foundation, mascara and lip gloss, with maybe a bit of eyebrow pencil and a neutral eyeshadow.

I love the No7 Intelligent Colour Foundation as it is really light. I tried a Stila one that was free with Top Sante magazine, but I find it really heavy in comparison. Fine for an evening out, but not for everyday.

I need to buy mascara and foundation his week. I notice that a lot of brands (Maybelline, Max Factor etc) are currently 3 for 2 in Superdrug, so thought it would be a good plan if I could find something there. But it is so long since I bought any brand other than No7 that I'm not sure what is good and what isn't.

Having looked on the Superdrug website the Max Factor smooth effects foundation looks promising as it is supposed to be really lightweight. I know that the Max Factor 2000 calorie mascara tends to be highly recommended.

Any thoughts on these products or recommendations for something else that is worth a try?

sergeantmajor Wed 20-Nov-13 22:35:04

I made an emergency purchase of Superdrug MUA mascara for £1. Yes, £1. I had gone off to work without make-up and had forgotten my make-up bag and was determined to spend as little as possible on a spare mascara to get me through the day. And whaddya know? It's great! It doesn't smudge or leak little black snow over my cheeks, unlike pricier brands. Perhaps not overly luscious but I don't like that for daytime anyway. So hurrah for £1 mascaras!

SELondonSwede Wed 20-Nov-13 20:13:18

Def natural collection mascara for £1.99 in boots. For the price you really cant beat it. I am a lancome mascara girl but since i had my ds I cant afford it. Looking back it seems silly spending £20.00 on a mascara when i can spend 1.99.
Try it!

Nao35 Wed 20-Nov-13 18:25:45

I agree. As a professional makeup artist I think the MUA represent excellent value for money and I use some of their products myself.

Aquelven Thu 10-Oct-13 11:06:29

Yes, the Max Factor 2000 Calorie mascara is terrific. I stopped wasting money on expensive brands & just use this now, after it being the one I always went back to after fruitless forays into the likes of Lancôme, YSL, Chanel etc thinking there might be even better ones. There isn't.

Boots Natural a collection Eyeshadows are brilliant. Lots of matt, neutral colours, very like Bobbi Brown minus the expensive packaging, at stupidly cheap prices ( especially when on almost constant offer)

Aldi brow pencil, longer than most with free sharpener, brilliant colours. Their pressed powder in a surprisingly expensive looking silver compact.

SundaySimmons Thu 10-Oct-13 10:57:48

Here are the reviews for the Laval secret beauty foundation in the shade, fair

www.amazon.co.uk/Laval-Secret-Beauty-Foundation-Code-600/dp/B005WRL75S

SundaySimmons Thu 10-Oct-13 10:53:32

If you like a dewy look with medium to full coverage I recommend laval foundation. It is the cheapest of the cheap but really is superb. My fave is a max factor foundation but if you want inexpensive then go for the Laval which is available cheaply on amazon, ebay and some small chemists.

I can't recommend laval's other products because I have only used the foundation.

My daughter likes Leichner which is also cheap in price but a decent quality foundation.

NYX is my favourite budget brand. I wear all the lipsticks, and lip creams, they're fantastic.

www.nyxcosmetics.co.uk

Mower a mixture of expensive and inexpensive products as my penchant for Make up snobbery has long dispersed and I wear what I like regardless of the brand name.

Avon do good eyeliners, Glimmerstix.

Collection 200O make a great concealer/highlighter pen.

plentyofsoap Thu 10-Oct-13 10:51:57

I always go for clinique, but tried collection 2000 concealer the 16 hour wear one and it is the best I have ever used.

rubyblue Thu 10-Oct-13 10:33:59

I second leamarie2013 on Max Factor 2000 calorie foundation, have tried Chanel, YSL and Clinique and many cheaper brands but none are as good as MF (or even their more expensive mascaras).

louloubellamozzarella Fri 16-Aug-13 12:10:18

Max Factor false lash effect Mascara (not the waterproof version which is poop) is the best mascara I've tried. Love it. Often cheaper from Feel Unique or Cheap Smells or Amazon.

leamarie2013 Fri 16-Aug-13 01:13:56

Max factor 2000 calorie mascara is great, iv tried others but alwAys go back to it. Gosh from superdrug do fantastic eyeliners and brow pencils, they last all day.
MUA eyeshadows are great for the price.
I use the rimmel wake me up foundation (with the orange lid) it lasts for ages and not as heAvy as the other rimmel ones

Pinupgirl Fri 09-Aug-13 19:48:24

I second remus's Soap and Glory recommendation. I use their Heck of a Blot face powder and it is very pale. I also love their hocus focus primer under foundation or moisturiser if I'm having a no make-up day.

The bourjois healthy mix foundation is very good-I had people ask me what I was wearing when I used it. Bourjois is great for eyeshadows/blushers too.

Mua BB cream is good if a little sticky in texture.

Thanks all. In the end I went with No7 Essentially Natural Foundation, which is £5 cheaper than my usual one. Then got a No7 mascara half price on the offer as a second product. Better the devil you know...

For anybody who is v pale, I'd recommend having a look at the Soap and Glory foundation, The Fairest Of Them All. It's the first foundation I've repurchased since deciding that I needed something cheaper than Bare Minerals.

For blusher, Max Factor Miracle Touch is v good and about £6 a pot iirc.

I really rate Revlon for cheap nail varnish.

Ikeameatballs Fri 09-Aug-13 17:26:45

I like the garner bb cream. I used to get a No 7 foundation but have been converted to this.

DipMeInChocolate Fri 09-Aug-13 17:17:42

Revlon foundation
Natural collection lip/eye pencils & eyeshadow & blusher
Maybelline 24h lip colour
Aldi concealer
Rimmel powder

Karbea Fri 09-Aug-13 16:49:33

these rimmel eyeshadow sticks are great.

JustBecauseICan Fri 09-Aug-13 11:24:54

The Argan oil conditioner on that blog is in my local pound shop, was looking at it the other day. Might give it a go!

InMyShreddies Fri 09-Aug-13 10:41:09

I love Bourjois Healthy Mix serum - Boots and Tesco usually have testers of each shade so you can apply it and check your reflection in various mirrors before buying.

I tried a mousse foundation from the Barbara Daly range at Tesco which was really lovely and about £8 - it was called Face Lift foundation. That's definitely worth a try too.

I have very pale skin and struggle to find pale enough shades in most cheaper brands, but those two are great and yellow-toned which is much more flattering than pinkish, which ime Max Factor always is.

I have a MUA eyeshadow palette - the Naked rip-off for £4, and it's ace.

mignonette Fri 09-Aug-13 09:52:19

Jemima You might find this beauty blog article interesting. It is about buying well and buying budget.

MadBusLady Wed 07-Aug-13 11:02:30

Bourjois for eyeshadow, blusher and the Healthy Mix foundation. Collection at Superdrug for everything else and especially the Lasting Gel Nail Colour (not a huge colour range in that though).

Sali Hughes did an interesting column about professional beauty stores recently and said they were the same products cheaper than beauty halls, though I don't know whether there's a minimum spend.

TBH I think most cheap eyeshadow, pencils, mascara etc are probably pretty good these days, it's not hard to get the formulations right. Powder, foundation and primer you'll want to take a bit more care with.

VestaCurry Wed 07-Aug-13 10:16:51

Max Factor CC cream is superb. I haven't bought Max Factor in years, but saw this on offer in Boots when it was launched. Very very lightweight but seems to transform my skin, making it look evenly dewy and glowy! I bought the lightest shade as my skin is very pale and the match is great. I'm in my late 40's so anything that gives me a dewy/glowy look is a plus. Lots of people comment on how good I'm looking when I wear it with with just a bit of busher and mascara.

JustBecauseICan Wed 07-Aug-13 10:09:06

Loads of the Revlon/Rimmel/Maybelline/L'Oreal type make up can also be found on discount online sites with ££££s off. I saw Revlon Photoready foundation (which I want to try) at £6 instead of £12 somewhere online last week. (trouble is I browse so many of these sites I can never find them again!)

JustBecauseICan Wed 07-Aug-13 10:07:36

There are millions of threads about Chanel making Bourjois and I really like it.
It's on 3x2 in Boots at the mo'. I have tried the Health Mix Serum foundation and must admit I didn't like the slimy texture. I am tempted to try the Health Mix without serum though.

I am currently using a Rimmel Wake me Up foundation which is great, just as good as any of the Clarins/Clinique/EL I've tried in the past. I also rate Maybelline eraser foundation, lovely lovely texture, and their dream matte mousse is exactly the same as a Clarins one I used to use but £15 cheaper!

TirNaNog100 Wed 07-Aug-13 10:03:02

Maybelline Dream Satin Liquid is great - as good as expensive foundation, IMO.

evertonmint Wed 07-Aug-13 09:55:02

I like Sleek blusher, MUA eyeshadow, Revlon lip butter, Rimmel eyeliner. Always have issues with mascara, but really liking Max Factor Masterpiece and will probably rebuy (a mascara first!)

I stick with No 7 for foundation and powder at the moment as they suit me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now