Inexpensive but good make up recommendations please!

(55 Posts)

I sort of asked this on another thread, but then thought it might be better to start my own.

I have worn No7 make up for well over a decade, but current finances dictate that finding a cheaper brand would be a very good idea. I like quite a natural look for everyday, but need a little bit of something to stop me looking washed out. I usually wear foundation, mascara and lip gloss, with maybe a bit of eyebrow pencil and a neutral eyeshadow.

I love the No7 Intelligent Colour Foundation as it is really light. I tried a Stila one that was free with Top Sante magazine, but I find it really heavy in comparison. Fine for an evening out, but not for everyday.

I need to buy mascara and foundation his week. I notice that a lot of brands (Maybelline, Max Factor etc) are currently 3 for 2 in Superdrug, so thought it would be a good plan if I could find something there. But it is so long since I bought any brand other than No7 that I'm not sure what is good and what isn't.

Having looked on the Superdrug website the Max Factor smooth effects foundation looks promising as it is supposed to be really lightweight. I know that the Max Factor 2000 calorie mascara tends to be highly recommended.

Any thoughts on these products or recommendations for something else that is worth a try?

SundaySimmons Thu 10-Oct-13 10:57:48

Here are the reviews for the Laval secret beauty foundation in the shade, fair

www.amazon.co.uk/Laval-Secret-Beauty-Foundation-Code-600/dp/B005WRL75S

Aquelven Thu 10-Oct-13 11:06:29

Yes, the Max Factor 2000 Calorie mascara is terrific. I stopped wasting money on expensive brands & just use this now, after it being the one I always went back to after fruitless forays into the likes of Lancôme, YSL, Chanel etc thinking there might be even better ones. There isn't.

Boots Natural a collection Eyeshadows are brilliant. Lots of matt, neutral colours, very like Bobbi Brown minus the expensive packaging, at stupidly cheap prices ( especially when on almost constant offer)

Aldi brow pencil, longer than most with free sharpener, brilliant colours. Their pressed powder in a surprisingly expensive looking silver compact.

Nao35 Wed 20-Nov-13 18:25:45

I agree. As a professional makeup artist I think the MUA represent excellent value for money and I use some of their products myself.

SELondonSwede Wed 20-Nov-13 20:13:18

Def natural collection mascara for £1.99 in boots. For the price you really cant beat it. I am a lancome mascara girl but since i had my ds I cant afford it. Looking back it seems silly spending £20.00 on a mascara when i can spend 1.99.
Try it!

sergeantmajor Wed 20-Nov-13 22:35:04

I made an emergency purchase of Superdrug MUA mascara for £1. Yes, £1. I had gone off to work without make-up and had forgotten my make-up bag and was determined to spend as little as possible on a spare mascara to get me through the day. And whaddya know? It's great! It doesn't smudge or leak little black snow over my cheeks, unlike pricier brands. Perhaps not overly luscious but I don't like that for daytime anyway. So hurrah for £1 mascaras!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now