Looking Youthful

(17 Posts)
Leviticus Tue 06-Aug-13 10:19:31

I'm mid/late 30s and have noticed my face looking more lined and 'droopy' of late - cheeks less smooth etc. I've also noticed my first few greys recently and my body's looking and feeling a bit battered from two DCs (baby and toddler still). I'm finding it hard to accept - I've always been lucky enough to look a bit younger than my age but I'm not sure that's the case any more so. I think I've reached the point where it's going to take a bit of effort.

I haven't smoked since my 20s and am fair so don't bother sunbathing.

I drink a lot of tea, coffee and alcohol (over the recommended limits blush). I eat a reasonable amount of salad/veg but also lots of white bread and sugary stuff - I don't know what to replace this stuff with. The odd vitamin when I remember. Not enough water probably.

No exercise currently but am considering Couch to 5K as I can't fit the gym in around DCs and DH's work.

I've been trying oil cleansing for the last few days in the hope that it will reduce pore size. It feels nice so far but I'm not sure if there's a visible difference.

I read this board a lot and there's a lot of great advice but the idea of overhauling everything seems so overwhelming. Is there anything I can do to stop or reverse what's happening that really works? Is it possible to arrest the decay as it were? I do realise that we all age and I'm trying to be realistic but I'd be grateful for some help.

Missbopeep Tue 06-Aug-13 15:35:55

It's the booze. Apart from sun and smoking it's one of the biggest ageing factors. Did you watch BB1 last night about booze, diet and illnesses?
You've got to look after yourself from the inside not just slap on face cream.

kaosak Tue 06-Aug-13 15:38:51

and the sugar! That programme was very interesting, the people on it were obviously very shocked at their health findings.

foxysocks Tue 06-Aug-13 15:41:01

Yoga. Switch the booze to water with a slice of lemon. Ct down on sugar as much as poss, replace with veg and protein like fish, eggs, tofu, almonds.

Neals yard rose facial oil is excellent but inside out works best as missbopeep says.

ClassyAsALannister Tue 06-Aug-13 15:41:10

Agree with it probably not being helped by the booze!

I'm fair and quite young, so no lines yet but I've noticed cutting out booze makes my skin much better so am sure it'd make me look much worse once I'm in my 30's/40's!

blueshoes Tue 06-Aug-13 15:41:40

At 45, losing weight has made the biggest difference to making me look younger. I am on a 5-2 maintenance diet and it has rid me of the puffy face and bloated belly. My clothes fit better and skin clearer.

I need to wear more make-up, to put colour in my face, but it is a simple regime of foundation, eyebrow pencil, eyeliner, blush and lippy that I can do in 5 mins everyday.

ClassyAsALannister Tue 06-Aug-13 15:42:28

And it's been proven that moisturizing everyday, even with basic stuff, helps to keep your skin less dry and therefore avoids accidentally making lines look worse. I know most people know that but worth a mention! smile

Missbopeep Tue 06-Aug-13 16:38:54

I think my post sounded a bit harsh OP- but seriously, you need to cut the crap from your diet- sugar ages skin - it causes inflammation which destroys the collagen and makes your face droop- as does booze.

You say you don't know what to replace the bad stuff with- why replace at all? If you mean bread, then go for wholemeal and wholewheat pasta.

Just cut out sugar altogether apart from a once a week treat.

Leviticus Tue 06-Aug-13 20:17:43

Thanks all. Inside out is the consensus then.

Not harsh at all bopeep. You're right I do need to stop drinking and eating crap. Your explanation is useful.

fox I have the rose oil already and use it as night cream. It is lovely but I totally get your point.

I wonder if part of this is the effect of on your body and lifestyle from the age of your DCs, iykwim? I felt like you when mine were that age whereas now a couple of years on, I actually feel and think I look younger.

I did a bit of a 'regime' to kick start me being me again, rather than my DCs mother - maybe you need to think about what would work for you and would be sustainable long-term. This is what I did:

I had my colours and style done with House of Colour so have a whole new wardrobe which is much more flattering and also just more enjoyable to shop for and wear.

I do regular peels and use aha night cream and I've just started using the derma flannel (thanks to the cult of bloody S&B).

My diet was already pretty healthy (I'm a vegan and don't really eat much processed food) and I didn't need to lose weight but I do an easier variation of the 5:2 diet for the health benefits and maintenance.

I also fit regular exercise in around work and the DCs - quick stuff I can do every day without much motivation or prep needed, e.g. 100 squats, HIIT, power hoop etc.

Good luck!

knitknack Wed 07-Aug-13 07:30:19

Just cut out sugar and white carbs for two weeks - anyone can manage two weeks! You'll be so shocked at how you feel (brighter, fresher, cleaner teeth etc.) you won't want to go back! I started by doing two weeks because that felt like an 'experiment' that I could handle but it's been over a year for me now and I feel like a different person smile

I've recently started callenetics, following the threads on here, and it's amazing - but I'm someone that doesn't like bouncing around getting sweaty, so it's perfect for me. I can't believe how 'tightening' it is smile

I'm 41, 5'10", size 8-10 (after giving up sugar)

Bexicles Wed 07-Aug-13 10:13:15

Brilliant advice on here, just wanted to add, look up a Glycemic Index list of foods to help if you are going to cut out simple carbs. Also I swear by dry body brushing and yoga.

Leviticus Wed 07-Aug-13 12:10:38

Thanks. I'm going to try the no sugar or white carbs. Is it ok to eat brown rice/pasta/bread? What about potatoes and fruit? What do you eat for breakfast?

I've got a Tracy Anderson DVD, which has some callanetics blended in. I'll get on it.

TeddyPickleStick Wed 07-Aug-13 12:10:49

I'm 42 this year and have no lines or wrinkles. Mind you, I have to follow quite the err 'intensive' regime to pull this off... I religiously take care of my skin and use the following products..

Trilogy Hot Cloth Cleanser
Lancôme Bi Facil eye make up remover
Clarins Brightening gentle exfoliating lotion twice a week
Liz Earle eye bright lotion
Liz earle toner
Clarins Blue Orchid Oil OR Trilogy Rosehip oil
L'Occitane eye cream
Elemis Pro Collagen marine cream or Clarins Vital light

I also don't smoke and don't drink alcohol. I stay a normal weight and always use a sun screen.

The above works a treat - but it's a bit spendy ££££. Still, fighting the ageing process is important to me and I love nice products. The above come highly recommended.

knitknack Wed 07-Aug-13 12:22:52

Personally I save wheat and potatoes for treats, but that's just me. For now I'd just give up sugar and white carbs - that alone will make a MASSIVE difference and you'll hardly notice it where as if you give up bread, pasta and potatoes it'd be much more of a challenging change!

For breakfast I either have boiled eggs, full-fat greek natural yog with fruit or whatever's left over from the night before (but I'm one of those people who doesn't like 'traditional breakfast foods' and just eats food for breakfast (like the majority of the rest of the world, but that's another topic smile )

MrsDoomsPatterson Wed 07-Aug-13 12:49:12

Low carb, no sugar, low, low alcohol, loads of water (good genes) and no sun. That's it! It works too.

newgirl Wed 07-Aug-13 13:04:22

Def loads of water - 8 glasses. Just 1-2 cups tea a day. It will help you deal with the alcohol more smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now