Have I wasted circa £800 on a Burberry Trench?

(41 Posts)
DameDoom Tue 06-Aug-13 00:03:55

It was my 40th last year and DH asked what I really wanted - asked for a Burberry trench coat, after all the quality is second to none and it will last a lifetime ( lived in France for 5 years so acquired a 'good trench' penchant). Anyhoos, hadn't got round to getting it until now - went to pick up my trench on Saturday in London ( we are up north

Now don't get me wrong it is a lovely, lovely and very classically chic coat befitting my advancing years. It looks great and I wore it on Sunday despite muggy weather in an attempt to be style personified. However... popped in to Whistles today and saw a trench, so I thought I'd try it on, just to compare. Whistles one is £155 and mine was £995 - to be honest there aint much in it. The Whistles one does lack some of the finer detail but who's gonna look that closely anyway? I am no label snob just wanted a really nice slim fitting coat that will go with jeans as well as other stuff.

Feel awful for DH ( although he has no idea I've compared). He has saved up to buy me this coat when the high street is doing comparably well.

Hopasholic Tue 06-Aug-13 16:37:18

'I had no idea Burberry had gone so down market'

What do you mean PasswordProtected?

allmycats Tue 06-Aug-13 16:58:04

Your Burberry will last your forever, and then you can pass it on to your daughter. Some people consider them 'chavvie' - not to worry you have bought style and quality. What did Coco Chanel say 'Fashion Fades, Style Remains' remember this when thinking of the cheaper versions.
My Burberry Trench lasted over 20 years and was still good when i sold it because I grew too big for it.

mignonette Tue 06-Aug-13 17:04:44

Keep it waterproofed, get it dry cleaned regularly and enjoy your daughter/s reaction when maybe you hand it on to her. You are paying for quality, heritage and a coat with a value that will not significantly depreciate if you look after it. Don't feel guilty. That is what he bought you and he is no doubt happy to have done so. Think how much money people lose on their cars and on other things. This will last.
Lucky you!

lililon Tue 06-Aug-13 17:06:36

I have also turned 40 and decided about ten years ago that for my 40th I'd like a Burberry trench. DameDoom - I don't think you'll ever regret your choice. Yes, it's a huge amount of money but it will last for years, and make you feel like a million dollars. I haven't bought mine yet as I'm pregnant (and poor) but I often look at the website and dream... Incidentally, how did you find the sizing? Did you need to size down?

mignonette Tue 06-Aug-13 17:07:17

And google some style blogs that feature how to style it. Burberry macs look good even worn over evening gowns! that is how cool they are both in an urban and a rural setting.

They can look super alluring too worn with fishnets, heels and nothing underneath. Just for DH you know wink

HappyJoyful Tue 06-Aug-13 17:11:55

My Mum's still looks amazing and it must be 30 years old.. it's classic and not chavvy and as many have said I covert her's now!!

finlaysmum12 Tue 06-Aug-13 17:41:50

beautiful.

wish I had £595 for the wool twill trench (god that's hard to say!)

I did this last year, haven't regretted it just yet! Can't say I've worn it as much as I'd like though, because I always require a hood when it rains, and it seems to be too warm for summer.......we never seem to get the crisp clear day I need for my poor coat.

DameDoom Tue 06-Aug-13 20:04:35

I got a 10 and the fit seems true. The cut is quite slim but it fits like a glove. Tried the 12 but the shoulders were slightly too wide. I did try a few other styles and wavered between the 10 and 12 depending on the different cuts.

HappyHugs Tue 06-Aug-13 22:15:57

Beautiful...I want that grey one now! And love the trousers in that pic too. A true investment piece.

libertychick Tue 06-Aug-13 22:23:36

It's gorgeous - lucky you!

justasecond Tue 06-Aug-13 23:30:13

Enjoy OP its lovely!
I am now officially in love with the grey one, its gorgeous exactly my kind of coat.
(Hello again Liberty!!)

libertychick Tue 06-Aug-13 23:38:51

smile and wave to justasecond!

No way is that wasted money. I used to make Burberry coats for a living! You have no idea how much work, and by how many people, goes into those coats. The quality was checked at EVERY stage, and nothing was passed if it was less than perfect. I had the leather duffel coat & sold it when I lost weight. It was as good as new & I didn't actually make too much of a loss on it! They are timeless classics. HTH.

Hopefully Wed 07-Aug-13 06:16:54

In five years time you will be so pleased you stuck with the burberry. It will last so much better, and won't lose it's shape/structure if you have to get it dry cleaned.

iwantavuvezela Wed 07-Aug-13 06:21:23

Beautiful, what a good choice, enjoy your lovely gift

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now