How do I do my hair without resorting to a pigtail?

(29 Posts)
sharond101 Sat 03-Aug-13 22:38:06

I am so bad at styling my hair. It is below my shoulders with a side parting and no fringe. It is frizzy and fine. I normally tie it back in a ponytail or straighten it with ghd's and have it down. I need inspiration and step by step instructions to do something different. I cannot even manage a bun or ghd curls, I am useless... please instruct.

The ponytail through the hole thing I have always called a topsy tail, used to do it about 20 years ago, it doesn'tcwork on me now, just bounces back out again. I do lots of tiny ones round DD's crown and it looks lovely.

Another vote for sock buns and spin pins here, far better than normal grips. I don't like a smooth donut bun, but use them for messy ones. Another good messy bun is to start with a ponytail, divide into two bunches, tie them into a single knot, wrap ends round loosely and pin in.

DameDoom Wed 07-Aug-13 23:44:34

I have fine one length long hair too and have discovered velcro rollers. I am the world's worst self hair stylist but just bung then in willy-nilly for ten minutes and it has made the world of difference. Gives loads of body and I can now do a messyish bun that looks as if it has some substance rather that overly sleek and ballerina-ish.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Thu 08-Aug-13 12:32:26

I think curling in some way is the key if you have 'slippery' hair, although I think I'd only do that for an evening out. I really envy people with a lovely wave in their hair as it can look so pretty as an updo with wispy strands.

Will definitely look for tha salt/texturising sprays though.

mystaplerisevil Thu 08-Aug-13 12:48:34

i would hate to wear an old sock in my hair grin

i like the hole thing i just tried that and it looked alright!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now